[comp.dcom.modems] Modems for use in Germany?

wohler@sapwdf.UUCP (Bill Wohler) (04/04/91)

jlhg0793@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph Herl) writes:
>	I understand that modems must have an FTZ number.  What is it, and
>how can I find a modem that has one?

joseph,

  the modems you buy in the states will work in germany (modulo
  voltage and telephone cable conversions).  it's the
  legal stuff you have to worry about.

  the FTZ number is the Bundespost equivalent of the FCC number in the
  states.  legally, you can't use any device that doesn't carry the
  FTZ number which is added to devices sold in germany that meet
  bundespost specifications.

>	I read some time ago that users of foreign modems should be careful
>that the modem does not release any current into the telephone line, but I
>can't remember why.  Can anyone explain this?

  it could be the other way around.  if the bundespost knows that you
  have one phone, they may be able to detect the presence of the modem
  if it is also connected to the line.  this is the "Ringer
  Equivalence" and usually each phone or device has a RE of 1.

>	One person has told me that the Bundespost's restrictions on foreign
>modems will no longer exist after 1991.  Is this true?

  if anyone else knows about this, i would like to hear it.  i've got
  lots of US devices that are just waiting...

						--bw

-----
Bill Wohler <wohler@sap-ag.de> <sapwdf!wohler>
Heidelberg Red Barons Ultimate Frisbee Team

bressler@lwtua6.sdi.sub.org (Stefan Bressler) (04/08/91)

In article <2723@sapwdf.UUCP> Bill Wohler <wohler@sap-ag.de> writes:
>jlhg0793@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph Herl) writes:
>>	I read some time ago that users of foreign modems should be careful
>>that the modem does not release any current into the telephone line, but I
>>can't remember why.  Can anyone explain this?
>
>  it could be the other way around.  if the bundespost knows that you
>  have one phone, they may be able to detect the presence of the modem
>  if it is also connected to the line.  this is the "Ringer
>  Equivalence" and usually each phone or device has a RE of 1.
>
>>	One person has told me that the Bundespost's restrictions on foreign
>>modems will no longer exist after 1991.  Is this true?
>
>  if anyone else knows about this, i would like to hear it.  i've got
>  lots of US devices that are just waiting...

No.  In 1991 there has only been one change:  Nowadays we are able to buy
our telephone equipment ourselves in a shop rather than renting it from
German Bundespost.  In order to use it legally, all equipment must be
Bundespost approved.  (By the way, this approvement is called ZZF).

But I suggest you, to ignore this approvement.  I know of many cases, where
non-approved equipment is being used and of no case where this is a
problem.  The US devices work perfectly in Germany and have a much better
price/performance ratio than ZZF-approved devices.  If you don't bother
German Bundespost and if you pay your phone bill they will not bother you.

mit freundlichen Gruessen
Stefan Bressler

Bussardstrasse 42      bressler@sdi.sub.org
D-8025 Unterhaching    bressler@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.de