[comp.dcom.modems] 16550AFN

luce@aurs01.UUCP (J. Luce) (04/03/91)

A quick question... would an 8 Mhz. 286 - AT clone with an 8250/16450
that is *NOT* multitasking and whose only task would be Zmodeming (or
some such protocol) drop characters and need the 16550? Or is that
scenario for slower machines or machines that are multi-tasking.

In other words, do I *need* this chip for reliable data transfers under
the above scenario??

Thanks.

tnixon@hayes.uucp (04/03/91)

In article <59698@aurs01.UUCP>, luce@aurs01.UUCP (J. Luce) writes:

> A quick question... would an 8 Mhz. 286 - AT clone with an 8250/16450
> that is *NOT* multitasking and whose only task would be Zmodeming (or
> some such protocol) drop characters and need the 16550? Or is that
> scenario for slower machines or machines that are multi-tasking.
>
> In other words, do I *need* this chip for reliable data transfers under
> the above scenario??

I have exactly that configuration here on my desk (straight MS-DOS
PC AT, 8 MHz, 16450), and run it at 19200 and even 38400 all the
time, and never see data loss -- except when I try to access the
RAMdisk in extended memory (which disables interrupts for a while).
So long as I stay away from the RAMdisk while receiving, I never
lose data.  I think the software you run has a lot to do with it;
Smartcom III and Smartcom Exec are pretty fast, and I'm sure there
are several other programs that can keep up with 19200 or 38400 on
an 8 MHz 80286.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

-
-In other words, do I *need* this chip for reliable data transfers under
-the above scenario??
-
-Thanks.
-

Of course, I forgot 1 piece of information: I am talking about running
this with a USRobotics Dual Standard, locking the ort at 19.2/38.4..

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (04/08/91)

J. Luce (luce@aurs01.UUCP ) wrote:

 >A quick question... would an 8 Mhz. 286 - AT clone with an
 >8250/16450
 >that is *NOT* multitasking and whose only task would be
 >Zmodeming (or
 >some such protocol) drop characters and need the 16550? Or
 >is that
 >scenario for slower machines or machines that are
 >multi-tasking.

 >In other words, do I *need* this chip for reliable data
 >transfers under the above scenario??

   I hate to be vague, but the only answer that I'm willing to guarantee is
"That depends..."

   For instance, you didn't specify what baud rate.  I don't expect trouble
at 9600 or 19,200 bps, but 38,400 bps is questionable.  Also, all bets are
off if you're using a Perstor ARLL controller card for your hard drive;
they'll screw *anything* up. <grin>

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be
failing long after you and I have discovered new worlds. -- me