[comp.dcom.modems] LD received?

alanlevy@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Alan Levy) (04/10/91)

I have a question.

I have a USR Robotics Dual-standard 9600 Courier.

I connect to another v42bis modem.

But ever once in a while the modem disconnect, when I query as to the reason
it disconnected, it says because LD received.

What exactly does LD received mean?

I do have call waiting, but I disable it before dialing.

Alan LEvy
alevy@uiuc.edu

ch@dce.ie (Charles Bryant) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.035712.4092@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> alanlevy@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Alan Levy) writes:
>But ever once in a while the modem disconnect, when I query as to the reason
>it disconnected, it says because LD received.
>
>What exactly does LD received mean?

It means `Link Disconnect' and it is one of the MNP frame types. It is
sent in two circumstances: when the initial handshake fails, and when the
number of retries becomes excessive. Depending on how it is implemented,
the initial handshake may be vulnerable to noise.
--
Charles Bryant (ch@dce.ie)
--

tnixon@hayes.uucp (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.035712.4092@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
alanlevy@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Alan Levy) writes:

> I have a USR Robotics Dual-standard 9600 Courier.
> I connect to another v42bis modem.
> But ever once in a while the modem disconnect, when I query as to the reason
> it disconnected, it says because LD received.
> What exactly does LD received mean?
> I do have call waiting, but I disable it before dialing.

It has nothing to do with Call Waiting.  "LD" refers to the "Link
Disconnection" frame in MNP.  They probably haven't updated the
documentation to reflect the fact that the frame is called "DISC" in
LAPM instead of LD.  Anyway, what it means is that the other modem
sent a request to disconnect the line.  This could be caused by a
variety of things:  the other computer told the modem to disconnect,
the other modem detected a protocol violation, there were too many
attempts to send a frame (due to repeated line errors), etc.

	-- Toby

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.035712.4092@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> alanlevy@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Alan Levy) writes:

>But ever once in a while the modem disconnect, when I query as to the reason
>it disconnected, it says because LD received.
>
>What exactly does LD received mean?

It means your modem received a "Link Disconnect" packet from the other
modem.  The other modem told your modem to disconnect.

--
|  Greg Andrews   |       UUCP: {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gandrews    |