[comp.dcom.modems] Antique Apple modem -- HELP!!

gray@s5000.rsvl.unisys.com (Bill Gray x2128) (04/12/91)

I have a borrowed Apple modem and a copy of Red Ryder.  I have no
doc for either of them. . .  I used the hayes compatible dial command
shown in the online instructions, but nothing happens on the phone line.

I know the phone line is ok.  I know nothing about the modem except the
following copied from the back of it:

Model A9M0301
SN MA 048239
P/N 825-0621-B
             8 ?? not sure of last character
FCC ID BCG 794 Modem 1200

I need to know the command set this critter recognizes and its
specifications--for example, is it a 1200 or a 300 baud modem?  Also, there
are three bitty little switches by one of the cables whose function is
unknown.

I'm gonna buy a new modem Real Soon Now, but I need this one up in
the meantime.  Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Bill
--
: gray@rsvl.unisys.com                      :                                  :
:                                           :  My gun is safer than Ted        :

cs352a41@cs.iastate.edu (Adam Goldberg) (04/12/91)

gray@s5000.rsvl.unisys.com (Bill Gray x2128) writes:

>I have a borrowed Apple modem and a copy of Red Ryder.  I have no
>doc for either of them. . .  I used the hayes compatible dial command
>shown in the online instructions, but nothing happens on the phone line.

>I know the phone line is ok.  I know nothing about the modem except the
>following copied from the back of it:

>Model A9M0301
>SN MA 048239
>P/N 825-0621-B
>             8 ?? not sure of last character
>FCC ID BCG 794 Modem 1200

>I need to know the command set this critter recognizes and its
>specifications--for example, is it a 1200 or a 300 baud modem?  Also, there
>are three bitty little switches by one of the cables whose function is
>unknown.

Lots of Apple modems were NOT HAYES COMPATIBLE.  They took special dial
commands, does Red Ryder have a 'dial' command?  If not, try to get an
old copy of ASCII EXPRESS.

Chances are it's not 1200 baud...I once bought a 1200 baud modem for my
old Apple...it cost me close to $500.

! Adam Goldberg                             ! "It's simple! Even a PASCAL     !
! cs352a41@cs.iastate.edu  <= this one      !  programmer could do it!"       !