[comp.dcom.modems] Connect an Intel 9600ex modem to an AT&T 3B2/300

jdc@alix.UUCP (James D. Corder) (04/13/91)

Hello NetPeople:-)

	I just purchased an Intell 9600ex modem for my Net Feed.  However,
I can not get it to work with my AT&T 3B2/300.  Since the modem will work
fine connect to a terminal, I think that it might be cabeling problem.

	I do have it set as a Hayes 9600 type device.

	I simply changed the Systems, Devices, and inittab files.  Then unpluged
my 2400 and plugged in my new 9600.  Well:-( I am still sending at 2400:-(

Tank you in advance,
James D. Corder
...osu-cis!alix!jdc
...att!osu-cis!alix!jdc
alix!jdc@cis.ohio-state.edu

riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H. Riddle) (04/13/91)

jdc@alix.UUCP (James D. Corder) writes:

>Hello NetPeople:-)

>	I just purchased an Intell 9600ex modem for my Net Feed.  However,
>I can not get it to work with my AT&T 3B2/300.  Since the modem will work
>fine connect to a terminal, I think that it might be cabeling problem.

>	I do have it set as a Hayes 9600 type device.

>	I simply changed the Systems, Devices, and inittab files.  Then unpluged
>my 2400 and plugged in my new 9600.  Well:-( I am still sending at 2400:-(

>Tank you in advance,
>James D. Corder
>...osu-cis!alix!jdc
>...att!osu-cis!alix!jdc
>alix!jdc@cis.ohio-state.edu

James, I had some growing pains with my Intel 9600, and found the Intel
Support folks to be tremendously helpful in resolving them.  Their number
1-800-538-3373, or they can be reached at intel_support@mcimail.com.  They
also have a BBS, and I think the number is in the manual (which isn't in
front of me at the moment.  (If you really want to $pend $omething to
contact them, they also have a support forum on Compuserve.)

My own guess is, like yours, a cabling problem, with the second thought
that the modem initialization isn't set right.  Whichever, the folks at
Intel, I'm sure, will help you out.

--
            <<<< insert standard disclaimer here >>>>
riddle@hoss.unl.edu                  |   University of Nebraska

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (04/14/91)

James D. Corder (jdc@alix.UUCP ) wrote:

 >        I just purchased an Intell 9600ex modem for my Net
 >Feed.  However,
 >I can not get it to work with my AT&T 3B2/300.  Since the
 >modem will work
 >fine connect to a terminal, I think that it might be
 >cabeling problem.

 >        I do have it set as a Hayes 9600 type device.

 >        I simply changed the Systems, Devices, and inittab
 >files.  Then unpluged
 >my 2400 and plugged in my new 9600.  Well:-( I am still
 >sending at 2400:-(

   I once plugged a Trailbalzer Plus into a 3B2/4000; it was a multiperson
effort because I could not find any standard AT&T modular to DB-25 adapters
whose wiring was acceptable to me; I ended up wiring one from scratch while
the operator tweaked the config to match my specification.

   Unfortunately, I don't remember what he changed in the configurations!

   Still, if the modem works at 9600 talking to a terminal, then it's not
likely to be a serious cabling problem.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be
failing long after you and I have discovered new worlds. -- me