[comp.dcom.modems] Who is stupid: Modem or me?

kai@iti.org (Kai Huebener) (04/09/91)

I am using a Hayes compatible modem in my PC. Everything works fine,
except that the modem does not recognize when the number it dialed is
busy. Instead it waits for some time and then says: NO CARRIER.

Is there some setup option I missed, or what is the reason for this
behaviour?

Any hints will be appreciated.

Thanks, Kai.

ch@dce.ie (Charles Bryant) (04/10/91)

In article <kai.671205881@nats5> kai@iti.org (Kai Huebener) writes:
>I am using a Hayes compatible modem in my PC. Everything works fine,
>except that the modem does not recognize when the number it dialed is
>busy. Instead it waits for some time and then says: NO CARRIER.
>
>Is there some setup option I missed, or what is the reason for this
>behaviour?

The `Organization' line in your header seems to indicate that you are in
Germany. According to my phone book a busy signal in Germany is `short,
sharp tone repeated at frequent intervals' while the busy signal in the
US is `tone off and on for equal periods no longer than 1 second'. It
seems likely that the modem is listening for US busy tone, so it dosen't
recognise your busy tone. You could confirm this by dialling a number in
the US which you know is busy (perhaps some US reader knows a telco test
number??).

Interestingly enough, every one of the six signals listed in my phone
book is used for both `ringing' and `busy' in different countries. e.g.
the US busy tone is the ringing tone in Denmark, and the German busy tone
is the ringing tone in the Solomon Islands. Have any readers ever tried
to call the Solomon Islands (especially with a modem) who could confim
this?
--
Charles Bryant (ch@dce.ie)
--

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (04/10/91)

In a letter to All, Kai Huebener (kai@iti.org ) wrote:

 >I am using a Hayes compatible modem in my PC. Everything
 >works fine,
 >except that the modem does not recognize when the number it
 >dialed is
 >busy. Instead it waits for some time and then says: NO
 >CARRIER.

   Most 2400 bps modems (and a few 1200s from Prometheus and others) have
BUSY detect capability, but you must first enable X level 4 (or higher).  See
the manual for details. <grin>

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be
failing long after you and I have discovered new worlds. -- me

bourman@hpcc01.HP.COM (Bob Bourman) (04/11/91)

/ hpcc01:comp.dcom.modems / kai@iti.org (Kai Huebener) /  7:04 am  Apr  9, 1991 /
#I am using a Hayes compatible modem in my PC. Everything works fine,
#except that the modem does not recognize when the number it dialed is
#busy. Instead it waits for some time and then says: NO CARRIER.

#Is there some setup option I missed, or what is the reason for this
#behaviour?

#Any hints will be appreciated.

#Thanks, Kai.
#----------

       Try setting your Response Messages to ATX3 or greater. If you are
       at ATX0,1,or 2 you will not get the BUSY response.

       BOBB

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) (04/11/91)

kai@iti.org (Kai Huebener) writes:

>I am using a Hayes compatible modem in my PC. Everything works fine,
>except that the modem does not recognize when the number it dialed is
>busy. Instead it waits for some time and then says: NO CARRIER.

>Is there some setup option I missed, or what is the reason for this
>behaviour?

>Any hints will be appreciated.

Neither you nor your modem is stupid but the German Bundespost Telecom
is! They simply don't send the right busy signal!
Your modem will recognize US busy signals but no german ones.
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Germany
Bitnet : HAKL@DFRRUF1 or HARTNEGG@CERNVM
Internet : HAKL@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de

barleben@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Friedrich Barleben) (04/11/91)

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) writes:

>kai@iti.org (Kai Huebener) writes:

>>I am using a Hayes compatible modem in my PC. Everything works fine,
>>except that the modem does not recognize when the number it dialed is
>>busy. Instead it waits for some time and then says: NO CARRIER.

>>Any hints will be appreciated.

>Neither you nor your modem is stupid but the German Bundespost Telecom
>is! They simply don't send the right busy signal!
>Your modem will recognize US busy signals but no german ones.

With my modem I can get the BUSY and other responses if I set the command
is able to understand this. According to my manual you get:
CONNECT, NO CARRIER and ERROR                             with X0
CONNECT (speed), NO CARRIER and ERROR                     with X1
CONNECT (speed), NO CARRIER, ERROR, BUSY, NO ANSWER       with X3 or X4

X2 means: Same as X1, but the modem waits for a dial tone before dialing.
Fiete Barleben
--
mail:  barleben@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de  | Fiete Barleben
phone: +49-761-203-3410 or +49-761-702503 | Institut fuer Biologie III

Grant_Hackett@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Grant Hackett) (04/15/91)

KH> I am using a Hayes compatible modem in my PC. Everything works fine,
KH> except that the modem does not recognize when the number it dialed i
KH> busy. Instead it waits for some time and then says: NO CARRIER.

KH> Is there some setup option I missed, or what is the reason for this
KH> behaviour?

KH> Any hints will be appreciated.

If your modem is capable of "ATX4" that will solve your problem,
otherwise bad luck....use your good ear!

 SFMail 1.5

--- Dogfight 2.04 (Unregistered)
 * Origin: The PC Computer Group, Auckland, NZ (3:772/200)