[comp.dcom.modems] ATI 9600/etc

Jordan_Melville@mindlink.UUCP (Jordan Melville) (04/13/91)

I'm thinking of buying one of ATI's new 9600 bps v.32 modems, but haven't heard
too much from it. Does anyone out there have any personal experience with it?
Also, what is the street price of it these days?

Jordan.
-------
Jordan C. Melville         Voice: (604) 943-7155
Vancouver, BC                BBS: (604) 943-3503 (2400baud)
UUCP: a516@mindlink.UUCP
"So let's make our own movies like Spike Lee, 'cause the roles bein'
offered don't strike me, as nothing the black man can use to learn,
BURN HOLLYWOOD, BURN" - Public Enemy "Burn Hollywood Burn"

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (04/16/91)

In article <5475@mindlink.UUCP> Jordan_Melville@mindlink.UUCP (Jordan Melville) writes:
>I'm thinking of buying one of ATI's new 9600 bps v.32 modems, but haven't heard
>too much from it. Does anyone out there have any personal experience with it?
>Also, what is the street price of it these days?

It goes for just under $500.
I have one. As a V.32/V.42bis modem it's about average. It works.

I have had consistent troubles connecting in MNP mode with USR 9600 HST
and USR Courier 2400e modems at 2400 bps. Either I get 2400/NONE, or
a 2400/MNP conenction but total garbage data. (Like each modem thinks
something different about what's been negotiated).
Hayes 2400V's and Intel 9600EX's have no trouble establishing a
2400/MNP connection with these problem BBS systems.

I've been unable to get ATI tech support to acknowledge/attempt to
reproduce this problem ("I connect with HST's all the time!"). They
have me fiddling with S-registers that have nothing to do with MNP
negotiation.

(If anyone is willing, try connecting to 714-753-1068; that's Western
Digital's BBS, running on a 9600 HST).

My V.32bis Courier Dual Standard has none of these problems.

If you need V.32 at a good price, it works just fine. But if you're trying
to connect with older MNP modems at 2400 bps you may have a problem.

--
 Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
 NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE:

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (04/16/91)

Jordan Melville (Jordan_Melville@mindlink.UUCP ) wrote:

 >I'm thinking of buying one of ATI's new 9600 bps v.32
 >modems, but haven't heard too much from it.

   In my general experience, ATI modems are fairly good.  Their line quality
is acceptable, their features excellent... and their service stinks.

   I've seen people complain that upgrading a USRobotics modem meant shipping
it to a service center, who'd do the work and ship it back within a day or
two... ATI reports "five to seven business days" *work* time!

   A friend recently *delivered* his ATI 2400etc/e modem to ATI in Toronto for
upgrade to V.42bis and, about a week later, was in Toronto again and called to
ask if the upgrade was finished, since he was in town again and would like to
pick it up; he was told that *finding* the modem would take a day and a half,
and that he'd be best just to wait until he was contacted.  A few days later
(which was just a few days ago), someone he described as barely speaking
English called him and, after several minutes of very confusing conversation
(if you can call it that) he determined that it was ATI calling to tell him
that his modem's ready.

   He's not on his way to Toronto at the moment, so I may pick the modem up
for him.  If so, I may get to play with their V.42bis ROMs for a few days.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be
failing long after you and I have discovered new worlds. -- me