[comp.dcom.modems] Best General Purpose Modem

brown@cs.utk.edu (Lance A. Brown) (04/12/91)

This has got to be a FAQ, but here goes anyway.

  I am going to be upgrading the modem on my PC AT within a couple months
and need advice on what is the best type of modem to get for general usage.

  This modem will be used to call bbs, and for calling into the university
computer system.  It may also be used as the modem for a part-time bbs.

  From the traffic here the last couple weeks it appears that V.32bis and
V.42bis appears to be the way to go for this.  What particular brands can
be recommended and for what uses.

  Thanks for your time.

    Lance A. Brown
brown@cs.utk.edu
Lance A. Brown                        The Crystal Wind is the Storm,
3500 Sutherland Avenue, Apt. L-303     and the Storm is Data,
Knoxville, TN  37919                    and the Data is Life
                                         -- The Player's Litany
                                           from _The Long Run_ by D.K. Moran

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (04/16/91)

In article <BROWN.91Apr11210908@duncan.cs.utk.edu> brown@cs.utk.edu (Lance A. Brown) writes:
>This has got to be a FAQ, but here goes anyway.
>
>  I am going to be upgrading the modem on my PC AT within a couple months
>and need advice on what is the best type of modem to get for general usage.
>
>  This modem will be used to call bbs, and for calling into the university
>computer system.  It may also be used as the modem for a part-time bbs.
>
>  From the traffic here the last couple weeks it appears that V.32bis and
>V.42bis appears to be the way to go for this.  What particular brands can
>be recommended and for what uses.

If you are going to be calling BBSes and using it as a modem for a BBS, the
overwhelming majority of high-speed BBSes (9 out of 10) use US Robotics
HSTs.  Two caveats:  If you will be calling a lot of BBSes that are part of
internet, they will be much more likely to be using V.32.  Second, some areas
of the country don't have as large of an HST/other ratio as the rest of the
country.

If you have the money, you don't have to make a choice:  Get a US Robotics
Dual standard.  You will have USR and V.32bis, the best of both worlds.

markh@squirrel.LABS.TEK.COM (Mark C. Henderson) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr15.214003.28851@qualcomm.com> rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) writes:
>In article <BROWN.91Apr11210908@duncan.cs.utk.edu> brown@cs.utk.edu (Lance A. Brown) writes:
>>This has got to be a FAQ, but here goes anyway.
>>
>>  I am going to be upgrading the modem on my PC AT within a couple months
>>and need advice on what is the best type of modem to get for general usage.
>
>If you are going to be calling BBSes and using it as a modem for a BBS, the
>overwhelming majority of high-speed BBSes (9 out of 10) use US Robotics
>HSTs.  Two caveats:  If you will be calling a lot of BBSes that are part of
>If you have the money, you don't have to make a choice:  Get a US Robotics
>Dual standard.  You will have USR and V.32bis, the best of both worlds.

One has to look towards the future, though. HST is probably going to
disappear over the next few years. As far as I can see, it offers no
advantages over V.32bis, and V.32bis offers the advantage of duplex
14.4K bps in both directions.

I'm not saying that it isn't a good idea to get the dual standard if one
is willing to spend the money, but if I could choose only one of the protocols
and was thinking of a modem for use for the next four years or so, I'd go
with V.32bis.

Mark

--
       Mark C. Henderson, Computer Research Laboratory, Tektronix, Inc.
             MS 50-662, P.O. Box 500, Beaverton, OR 97077, U.S.A.