[comp.dcom.modems] What do you think about security functions in modems?

tnixon@hayes.uucp (03/28/91)

I am studying the issue of increasing security and privacy of modem
communications at the physical layer, and would appreciate hearing
any comments or ideas you might have.  I'm not looking for new
_inventions_ (please DON'T send me anything you consider to be
confidential or trade secret), but your opinions on the usefulness,
effectiveness, and value of commonly-used techniques such as
call-back security (within a modem; I, for example, think it is more
effective when controlled by an external device so that incoming and
outgoing calls are on different lines), encryption (built into the
modem, like data compression), modem-based passwords (with the
exchange of information handled by the error control protocol,
possibly using an encrypted challenge/response system), etc.  I'm
also interested in your opinion on whether new techniques such
as modem-based decoding of caller-ID information would be useful.

There are currently no US or CCITT standards regarding these
functions (in modems), and your input will help me to decide whether
or not to initiate such activities.  Thanks very much in advance for
your comments either email or posted to the group.

        -- Toby

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

lairdb@crash.cts.com (Laird Broadfield) (03/29/91)

In <3888.27f10f22@hayes.uucp> tnixon@hayes.uucp writes:
>I am studying the issue of increasing security and privacy of modem
>communications at the physical layer, and would appreciate hearing
>any comments or ideas you might have.  I'm not looking for new
>_inventions_ (please DON'T send me anything you consider to be
>confidential or trade secret), but your opinions on the usefulness,
>effectiveness, and value of commonly-used techniques such as
>call-back security (within a modem; I, for example, think it is more
>effective when controlled by an external device so that incoming and
>outgoing calls are on different lines), encryption (built into the
>modem, like data compression), modem-based passwords (with the
>exchange of information handled by the error control protocol,
>possibly using an encrypted challenge/response system), etc.  I'm
>also interested in your opinion on whether new techniques such
>as modem-based decoding of caller-ID information would be useful.

IMO:

Callback security is a Good Thing, but given the current (low) level
of communication between CPE and the CO, far too easy to defeat if
it goes out on the same line.  Therefore (as you point out) this one
should be handled outside the modem.

The rest of the techniques you mention, however, gain substantially by
being built into the modem.  The tamper-ability factor is reduced
hugely by embedding all that stuff.

Modem-based passwords and encryption would seem to go hand-in-hand, though,
with both devices implementing an encryption scheme and refusing to talk
unless they both have the same key(s).  The value of a user giving a modem
a password seems dubious.  The one scenario I can see this being useful, is
in a challenge-response scenario, with one of those little keypad/display
gadgets (type in the challenge, give back the displayed response.)  This
might be useful if the callers are expected to be using a variety of
equipment to call in.  An intermediate step might be a dongle-type device
that could be put inline with a non-secure modem that would allow modem
commands through, but when awoken by the secure modem, it would get
into the act.

Physical "keys" are another approach, so are centrally distributed keys,
so is the combination of both (e.g. the way an STU3 works.)  The physical
key business presents vendor-compatibility problems, but the central issuer
business could be cross-standardized.  (Didn't I see something here or in
c.d.telecom a few months ago about the Bells providing a "registered call"
service (never mind the MFJ, eh?))

Caller-ID reading would be useful for other reasons, as well as security,
and should be implemented *ASAP* without waiting for a "security" confab.
It's not that useful for serious security since it could be spoofed without
much difficulty.

$0.02!

--
--  Laird P. Broadfield                        | Year after year, site after
    UUCP: {akgua, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!lairdb  | site, and I still can't think

dotytr@nscultrix1.network.com (Ted R. Doty) (03/29/91)

While it's all well and good to try to implement security in comms
products, I suspect that it is an easy way to go out of business
(did anyone notice when Tempest Technologies Inc. went into
liquidation?).  The *real* problem is that most customers don't
think they need more security, and sure don't want to pay for it.

Yes, there are a number of exceptions - customers who understand
and support (with their $) effective security.  But for each of
these, there must be a thousand who don't.  Remember the Internet
worm?  Is security really any better now than two years ago?

From a practical point of view, do *you* want to have to manage
the distribution of a million keys?  10000?  I know I don't.  Can
you convince the vendors to do this?  (answer: sure - if they can
charge customers for the service ... see above).

My suspicion is that security will remained confined to a few
sites that really need it (U.S. Government), and that the rest
of the world will some how get by.  I'd like to be wrong about
this.

Ted Doty, Network Systems Corporation | phone:      +1 301 596-2270
8965 Guilford Road, Suite 250         | fax:        +1 301 381-3320
Columbia, MD, 21046 USA               | voice mail: (800) 233-1485
These opinions are mine; if you want the opinions of Network Systems,
why don't you ask them?

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (03/30/91)

 >From: tnixon@hayes.uucp

 >[...] commonly-used techniques such as call-back security
 >(within a modem; I, for example, think it is more effective
 >when controlled by an external device so that incoming and
 >outgoing calls are on different lines),

   Given current technology (i.e. that it is possible to intercept outgoing
calls on that same line and simulate an outbound connect), you're right... but
this applies to big companies which can afford racks of modems and hunt
groups.  Let's not forget that I, typical of many manufacturers' end users,
have only one modem and one line for it.

   Many of my fellow BBS operators have a callback validation system which is
used only once, to verify the phone number given.  Naturally, the database to
be used (the user file) for duplicate number searching, prank filtering, and
general logins (if callback security were to be enabled) would be beyond the
capability of inexpensive modems... what would it add to the cost of a modem
if it had to store 100 to 1,000 names & numbers, as well as be programmable to
recognize the local police emergency, pizza order, and suicide crisis phone
numbers?

   This should be left to the host system!

   The modem is a data link tool.  Its job is to interface a computer to a set
of phone lines, be they public switched or private leased.  Manufacturers
should concern themselves with the quality and features of that interface, not
with assuming roles beyond it.

   For instance, it would be a great help to public access system operators if
modems would be taught to recognize ANI and/or caller-ID; I'd *love* to see my
Smartmodem 2400 announce proudly, "RING FROM 658-0311"!

 >encryption (built into the modem, like data compression),

   This is a less clear-cut issue; I suppose that there is a market for modems
which could be programmed to scramble the data internally.  I would suggest
keeping this feature separate (an optional daughtercard?) for the more
security-conscious customers.

   Then again, really security-conscious types would use scrambling in their
in-house software over leased lines, wouldn't you think? <grin>

 >I'm also interested in your opinion on whether new techniques
 >such as modem-based decoding of caller-ID information would be
 >useful.

   I think I've already touched on that one; please do pursue this!

 >There are currently no US or CCITT standards regarding these
 >functions (in modems),

   Do you mean that there are standards suggesting how modems should convey
this information to their hosts, or that the FSK codes for the caller's number
have been standardized?  I'd be surprised at the former, disappointed if the
latter were not the case.  What's Bellcore been up to for the past decade,
aside of assigning south-central Ontario the area code that used to be for
Mexico City?!? <grin>

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be failing
long after you and I have discovered new worlds.        - me

ch@dce.ie (Charles Bryant) (04/04/91)

In article <3888.27f10f22@hayes.uucp> tnixon@hayes.uucp asks for:
>... your opinions on the usefulness,
>effectiveness, and value of commonly-used techniques such as
>call-back security (within a modem; I, for example, think it is more
>effective when controlled by an external device so that incoming and
>outgoing calls are on different lines),

In many places callback is useless (in the modem) since the called
party cannot clear the call. This dosen't stop customers from asking
for it though! Even after this is explained to them.

>encryption (built into the
>modem, like data compression),

The sci.crypt folks will probably be more likely to be qualified to
comment on this, but I think end-to-end encryption is better.
Particularly if each end is at least as powerful as a PC.
However, just as with error correction, I think it many poeple would
be more likely to use it if it is in the modem merely because its
there.  Obviously if encryption is external to the modem, compression
in the modem is not much use. I happen to think its crazy to use
compression in the modem when neither end is a terminal since it just
shifts the bottleneck from the phone line to the PC->modem link but that
dosen't stop people from running ZMODEM over a compressed link insteqad
of compressing the file first. The same is likely to happen if encryption
is added to modems - but, most of the people who use modem-based
compression wouldn't use any other compression otherwise so it would
probably be the same for encryption and some is better than none.

>modem-based passwords (with the
>exchange of information handled by the error control protocol,
>possibly using an encrypted challenge/response system), etc.

Again, it is probably better to do this end-to-end (and easier unless one
end is just a terminal) but its cheaper to implement since a noticeable
delay in verifying a password is not a disadvantage.

>I'm
>also interested in your opinion on whether new techniques such
>as modem-based decoding of caller-ID information would be useful.

That would be useful for other reasons (e.g. callback, routing of
calls) so its probably worth having. (But I can see problems too:
e.g. usual modem line fails, so user connects modem to his fax line
and wonders why his outgoing calls get put through to fax machine
instead of the remote modem).
--
Charles Bryant (ch@dce.ie)
--

smith@sctc.com (Rick Smith) (04/06/91)

I heard a rumor recently that some dialback modems are manufactured
with a "backdoor" password that can't be disabled, which gives an
outsider rather complete access to the modem. So check out your
manufacturer closely. Evidently modem design/manufacturing skills are
independent of good sense where security is concerned.

I'm sorry I don't have more detailed information. If the rumor is true,
the perpetrator certainly deserves to lose.

Rick.
smith@sctc.com    Arden Hills, Minnesota

janm@dramba.neis.oz (Jan Mikkelsen) (04/06/91)

In article <3888.27f10f22@hayes.uucp> tnixon@hayes.uucp asks for:
>... your opinions on the usefulness,
>effectiveness, and value of commonly-used techniques such as
>call-back security (within a modem; I, for example, think it is more
>effective when controlled by an external device so that incoming and
>outgoing calls are on different lines), encryption (built into the
>modem, like data compression), modem-based passwords (with the
>exchange of information handled by the error control protocol,
>possibly using an encrypted challenge/response system), etc.

What you need in a modem will depend on what you are trying to prevent.
If you are trying to keep the entire dialouge on the line secret from
someone tapping the line, then data encryption in the modem is useful.

This is however not always the case.

Commercial users are often more worried about authentication and
confidentiality in other places.  Cryptography in a modem does not help
the data before it enters the sending modem, and after it leaves the
receiving modem.

It all comes down to a matter of trust.  If the only place you mistrust
with your data is the telephone line, then modem encryption is useful.
Unfortunatly, many people mistrust more than that, and require encryption
at a higher level - "end to end".

There is also the problem of key management with a modem.  They are harder
to do, and it is unlikely that the modem will be able to asymmetric key
cryptography (like RSA) at any reasonable speed.

Modem based passwords and challenge/response could be useful but personally
I would put all security functionality into the host where better control
can be kept over the secure key storage, logging can be done, and there
is greater control over the software.

Now, a smart card reader, PIN pad and a modem in a tamperproofed case
would be an interesting idea.  I don't think anyone has attempted this
yet, and it could certainly help with the key management problem.  The cost
of these things has come down significantly over the past few years also ...
--
Jan Mikkelsen
janm@dramba.neis.oz.AU or janm%dramba.neis.oz@metro.ucc.su.oz.au

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (04/07/91)

ch@dce.ie (Charles Bryant) writes:

> I happen to think its crazy to use
> compression in the modem when neither end is a terminal since it just
> shifts the bottleneck from the phone line to the PC->modem link

Well, if your iron can drive the modem at 38,400, and the modem's only [heh]
a V.32, it's not _too_ bad :-)

> but that
> dosen't stop people from running ZMODEM over a compressed link insteqad
> of compressing the file first.

Convenience, of course.  Actually, if they're using anything other than
an *ancient* ZMODEM, ZMODEM itself can be asked to do the compression,
which gets around the convenience problem, though I don't know how
generally good its algorithm is.  I've only ever used it for
PostScript[TM] files, and it works OK for that.

> If you like the opinions expressed in this message, they may be available
> for rent - contact your local sales office. Low interest deals available.

Ah yes, but does DCE get a cut ? :-)
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

zuck@mgsscsg.UUCP (Zuck Zuckerbrot) (04/10/91)

just to throw my $.02 in, we here at motorola use a security system
between our modems and the systems.  every user has a credit card sized
device with an lcd display with a six digit number that changes randomly (?)
once a minute.  to use it one dials in, connects with a modem, enters
a four digit PIN followed by the number currently in the window.
once validated, it allows you to pass through to the hosts.

it's made by security dynamics in boston and is called the "ace system"

 "Project teams detest weekly progress reporting because it so vividly
 manifests their lack of progress."  - unknown
--
 -Zuck Zuckerbrot               |       UUCP ...mcdchg!amtfocus!mgsscsg!zuck  -
 -Motorola Inc.                 |       FONE (708)632-6228                    -

whitcomb@aurs01.UUCP (Jonathan Whitcomb) (04/13/91)

In article <37@mgsscsg.UUCP> zuck@mgsscsg.UUCP (Zuck Zuckerbrot) writes:
-just to throw my $.02 in, we here at motorola use a security system
-between our modems and the systems.  every user has a credit card sized
-device with an lcd display with a six digit number that changes randomly (?)
-once a minute.  to use it one dials in, connects with a modem, enters
-a four digit PIN followed by the number currently in the window.
-once validated, it allows you to pass through to the hosts.
-
-it's made by security dynamics in boston and is called the "ace system"

Recently I was helping a friend (a modem and computer novice) learn to
use a telecommunications package and modem to log into the computer
where she works (Glaxo, in RTP, NC).  They use the number
generating cards that Zuck mentioned.  I am very curious how these
work.  Do all of the cards display the same number at the same
time, or does the computer have a quick way to compute what number
will be on the specific caller's card (based on the PIN)?  If either
of these schemes are valid, those cards have to be _very_ accurate.

Can anyone fill us in on how this works?

Jonathan Whitcomb                    UUCP: <whitcomb%aurgate@mcnc.org>
Alcatel Network Systems, Raleigh, NC                    Delphi: JBWHIT

cs352a41@cs.iastate.edu (Adam Goldberg) (04/13/91)

whitcomb@aurs01.UUCP (Jonathan Whitcomb) writes:

>In article <37@mgsscsg.UUCP> zuck@mgsscsg.UUCP (Zuck Zuckerbrot) writes:
>-just to throw my $.02 in, we here at motorola use a security system
>-between our modems and the systems.  every user has a credit card sized
>-device with an lcd display with a six digit number that changes randomly (?)
>-once a minute.  to use it one dials in, connects with a modem, enters
>-a four digit PIN followed by the number currently in the window.
>-once validated, it allows you to pass through to the hosts.
>-
>-it's made by security dynamics in boston and is called the "ace system"

>Recently I was helping a friend (a modem and computer novice) learn to
>use a telecommunications package and modem to log into the computer
>where she works (Glaxo, in RTP, NC).  They use the number
>generating cards that Zuck mentioned.  I am very curious how these
>work.  Do all of the cards display the same number at the same
>time, or does the computer have a quick way to compute what number
>will be on the specific caller's card (based on the PIN)?  If either
>of these schemes are valid, those cards have to be _very_ accurate.

>Can anyone fill us in on how this works?

I once did some consulting work for a client whose friend used the above
system.  The client wanted me to find out whether it would make sense for
him to use something like it.  The client's answer was no, but in the mean
time I talked to the guy who used the card--it seems that the number displayed
is verifiable by the host computer (ie, not just random), and that only
certain numbers are possible.  It may be (I don't know) that each card has
its own set of numbers, ie the host can tell not only if the number is valid,
but if it is valid who is calling in.

Seems like this system is for the very paranoid or very secure, depending on
your point of view.

! Adam Goldberg           !       *         ! "It's simple! Even a PASCAL     !
! cs352a41@cs.iastate.edu !       *         !  programmer could do it!"       !

jah@mojo.ots.utexas.edu (Jeff Hayward) (04/15/91)

In article <59727@aurs01.UUCP> whitcomb@aurs01.UUCP (Jonathan Whitcomb) writes:
>Recently I was helping a friend (a modem and computer novice) learn to
>use a telecommunications package and modem to log into the computer
>where she works (Glaxo, in RTP, NC).  They use the number
>generating cards that Zuck mentioned.  I am very curious how these
>work.  Do all of the cards display the same number at the same
>time, or does the computer have a quick way to compute what number
>will be on the specific caller's card (based on the PIN)?  If either
>of these schemes are valid, those cards have to be _very_ accurate.
>
>Can anyone fill us in on how this works?

All of these "smart tokens" work on a challenge-response principle, in
which the host's challenge, possibly with a user PIN, is input to the
token which yields a response by performing some cryptographic
operation on the challenge using a key specific to the individual.
The host computer has the means to determine what the proper response
should be for the given challenge and individual.

In the case of the Security Dynamics device, I believe they use a
stable clock as an implicit challenge, so they can be used in place of
a password without modifying host user/password mechanisms much.

The main advantage of these devices is that the response generated is
only valid for the given challenge, thus they are relatively free from
playback-type attacks.
--
Jeff Hayward
The University of Texas System          +1 512 471 2444

pineapp@netcom.COM (Daniel Curry) (04/17/91)

  Speaky of security modems. I have several Ventel 9600 plus modems that have
the security feature. Everyone is on a Sun's workstations. What I don't
understand is how do you set-up the /etc/uucp/L.sys file to get through
the "direct connect" password. This is what I have in the L.sys file
who
dfw Any,1 ACUHAYES 2400 415-555-1212 "" \d\r\r\r ssword: venpasswd ogin: Uany ssword: unixpasswd

   When I runn uucico -r1 -x7 -swho this is waht I get
Using dialer type ACUHAYES
dialing Hayes
0\015ACU write ok
3\015Line open failed, NO CARRIER