[comp.dcom.modems] USR HST question

bjahn@wam.umd.edu (Guess ??? ) (04/18/91)

I am a nivice when it comes to discussing higher baud modems. I believe most
high speed BBS use a USR HST or USR DS. Now I was wondering, if I used a
normal 9600bps v.32 modem (of coures with v.42/v.42bis) to a USR HST (not
DS) at what speed would I be coonected to? Would it be 2400bps?
	On the other hand, if I called a 9600bps v.32 modem using a USR HST,
would that be the same speed as before?
	I know the best solution is the DS, but not everyone can afford the
extra $300 or so...
	Thanks for your replies!

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (04/19/91)

Guess ???      (bjahn@wam.umd.edu ) wrote:

 >Now I was wondering, if I used a normal 9600bps v.32 modem
 >(of coures with v.42/v.42bis) to a USR HST (not DS) at what
 >speed would I be coonected to? Would it be 2400bps?

   Yes, with MNP or V.42 error correction and/or whatever type(s) of data
compression are enabled.

 >On the other hand, if I called a 9600bps v.32 modem using
 >a USR HST, would that be the same speed as before?

   A calling B should give the same result as B calling A.

 >I know the best solution is the DS, but not everyone
 >can afford the extra $300 or so...

   True on both counts.  Fortunately, USR has dropped their prices
significantly this year.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be
failing long after you and I have discovered new worlds. -- me