[comp.dcom.modems] Prometheus ProModem Ultima

cavalier@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Scott Mandell) (04/17/91)

I know a bit about the Ultima.

It supports Group III send & receive 9600 faxes.  It supports 1200
through 14,400 bps data transmission using V.32 and V.32bis protocols and
offers V.42/42bis and MNP error control/data compression.  If you're a
sysop you can get it for $495.

Unfortunately, Prometheus is extremely rude and their support is
absolutely horrid.  I had an order but cancelled it and just bought a
USRobotics and a seperate faxmodem for $99 (send only though).

Prometheus software is very slow, but the faxes are of high quality
greyscales.

I discourage you from purchasing from Prometheus though.  Their support
BBS is dead...I never got a response from the Sysop there when I owned a
ProModem 9600 PLus, and I tried for 3 years.

When I cancelled my order, the sales rep all but called me an a**h*le.
Then I got a letter from her saying I was not welcome to take advantage
of the Sysop deals any longer, and if I wanted to but their products to
go to a local dealer.

Yeah, like I'm going to buy one of their modems now.

If Prometheus wants to make modems and compete with the big boys, they
better shape up.  For now I encourage you to write them a letter saying
you were considering buying their modem but decided not to because you
heard about their awful support and attitude.

--scott  (honestly, they're horrible)

-[ Scott E. Mandell ]------------------------------------------------
-[ (607) 256 - 4217 ] Voice, 9AM-11PM EST 7 Days a Week
-[ (607) 256 - 0200 ] BBS, 24 Hrs, 14.4k V.32/32bis/42/42bis/FAX
-[ Ithaca, New York ]------------------------------------------------

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (04/18/91)

Scott Mandell (cavalier@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us ) wrote:

 >I discourage you from purchasing from Prometheus though.
 >Their support BBS is dead...

   Do you have an e-mail address or number for their BBS?

 >If Prometheus wants to make modems and compete with the big
 >boys, they
 >better shape up.  For now I encourage you to write them a
 >letter saying
 >you were considering buying their modem but decided not to
 >because you
 >heard about their awful support and attitude.

   Pity.  I had a nasty experience with a Promodem 1200G years ago and have
not used Prometheus since.  I don't know why because, with the exception of
the overheating problem (which was only a problem with the models that had
internal power supplies), I really liked their design.  The Promodem 1200 was
one of the first affordable modems to offer busy detection (which became
standard on 2400 bps modems).  I also liked their display, with the upturned
red panel which lit letters rather than lighting bland LEDs over printed
letters in a flat front window.  The display wasn't really that much better,
only different - and quite refreshingly pleasant.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be
failing long after you and I have discovered new worlds. -- me

al@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Al Peterman) (04/19/91)

In article <XZTi110w162w@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us> cavalier@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Scott Mandell) writes:

>I discourage you from purchasing from Prometheus though.  Their support
>BBS is dead...I never got a response from the Sysop there when I owned a
>ProModem 9600 PLus, and I tried for 3 years.

I called their BBS last night - worked fine.  In fact I left a copy of
your posting for the SYSOP...figured it was only fair.

Now I won't say Prometheus is great - but the one time my brother needed
his Promodem 2400 looked at, we just went over to their building (1 mile
away) and they worked on it right then and there!

Prometheus BBS (503) 624-0743

--
Alan L. Peterman                                   (503)-684-1984 hm
                       al@qiclab.scn.rain.com

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (04/20/91)

->
->I know a bit about the Ultima.
->
->It supports Group III send & receive 9600 faxes.  It supports 1200
->through 14,400 bps data transmission using V.32 and V.32bis protocols and
->offers V.42/42bis and MNP error control/data compression.  If you're a
->sysop you can get it for $495.
->
->Unfortunately, Prometheus is extremely rude and their support is
->absolutely horrid.  I had an order but cancelled it and just bought a
->USRobotics and a seperate faxmodem for $99 (send only though).
->
->Prometheus software is very slow, but the faxes are of high quality
->greyscales.

To add my own swipe, I just spent some time helping someone get one of those
silly things to function with unix and found, among other things, that the
command for DCD behavior, (&C?) simply doesn't work.   We both checked it and
the breakout box over real carefully, and it just ain't right.  You gotta
set the external switch to get a valid DCD.

This doesn't speak well of QA IMHO.

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal