[comp.dcom.modems] ATI bungles upgrade order

Geoffrey.Welsh@f275.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (04/22/91)

   I recently reported a friend's trouble with ATI's upgrade folks; his story
continues and here is his own report:

Greetings Geoffrey.

I thought I would share a current experience I am having with you and
everybody else who will stand still long enough.

On Thursday, April 11, I dropped 2 ATI 2400etc/e modems off at the
ATI technical support building in Toronto.  I had obtained RMA's
for both modems earlier, for the specific purpose of upgrading the
modems to V.42bis, as per ATI bulletin #37.  I specifically told Doug,
the technician at ATI to whom I spoke, that I wanted the two modems
upgraded, and even mentioned the number of the upgrade bulletin.

I picked the modems up a bit over a week later, on Friday the 19th.
Upon returning home I discovered that 1 modem had indeed been upgraded.
The second (which belongs to me) had not been upgraded.  There was a
message inside saying that the modem had been tested and found to be
not defective.  There were several suggestions as to what I may have
done wrong, had I actually send it in on the assumption that it was
defective - which I had not done.

This modem upgrade business has already cost me several long distance
phone calls to ATI, and 2 trips to Toronto from Stratford - a total
of some eight hours of intensive driving.  As far as I'm concerned it
was all for nothing, although the friend who owns the modem that did
get upgraded might feel otherwise.  I am now in the position of having
to make yet another (series of?) ld call(s) to Toronto, and I'll have
to do without my modem for another week or so, with another drive to
Toronto (or pay the cost of shipping both ways), because of some incompetent
individual at ATI.

Some of you will know that PCMagazine devoted an entire issue recently
to the topic of quality and service.  ATI products rated quite well in
quality and customer satisfaction, but their service department rated
very poorly (I can go into further detail if requested).  It never really
bothered me before, since I never had to deal with their service people
before.  I am now in the position of having been screwed around with by
ATI.  I'll leave a follow-up message after I complain to them on
Monday, and I'll report what (if anything) they plan to do about it.

Sour grapes?  I guess so.  I'm pissed off at a company that makes decent
products, and I've never had problems before.  However, I don't think that
anybody should have to put up with that kind of stupid, shoddy dis-service.
If my case was a single, unique instance I would probably tone down my
complaint.  Perhaps I would not have made it public.  I know, because of
PCMagazine and others, that there is a problem with ATI, and I want to bring
it to the attention of people who will probably be buying ATI products.

 * Origin: Five Guys BBS: Stratford, land of donut shops (Fidonet 1:221/275)

--
Geoffrey Welsh - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!275!Geoffrey.Welsh