[comp.dcom.modems] Updated rz/sz

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (04/02/91)

Chuck Forsberg's rz/sz for Unix and VAX/VMS has been updated.  The
updated files were obtained directly from Chuck's BBS and are now
available from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74].

Directory:   PD1:<MISC.UNIX>
File name:   RZSZ9103.TAR-Z
Function:    X/Y/Zmodem for many flavors of Unix
File type:   Compressed tar archive

Rename to rzsz.tar.Z after transferring with FTP in TENEX mode,
uncompress and then extract with command:  tar xfv rzsz.tar

Directory:   PD1:<MISC.VAXVMS>
File name:   RZSZ9103.TLB
Function:    X/Y/Zmodem for VAX/VMS
File type:   VMS Text LIBrary

This is a binary file which should be stored as a 512 byte FIXED
record file with carriage control NONE on VMS.

To extract files from rzsz.tlb, issue the following DCL commands:

$ LIB/EXTRACT=EXTRACT_TLB^COM/OUTPUT=EXTRACT_TLB.COM rzsz.tlb
$ @EXTRACT_TLB rzsz/exit

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (04/03/91)

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:

>Chuck Forsberg's rz/sz for Unix and VAX/VMS has been updated.  The
>updated files were obtained directly from Chuck's BBS and are now
>available from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74].

Can someone tell me of a site that has this that is a little more 'available'?
--
		  "Why can't I be you?" - Robert Smith
		  "Why can't he be you?" - Patsy Cline

acton@cs.ubc.ca (Donald Acton) (04/03/91)

}
}>Chuck Forsberg's rz/sz for Unix and VAX/VMS has been updated.  The
}>updated files were obtained directly from Chuck's BBS and are now
}>available from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74].
}
}Can someone tell me of a site that has this that is a little more 'available'?
}--

You can try anonymous ftp to cs.ubc.ca (137.82.8.5) in pub/src (not in the
directory src you will see upon logging in.)

Donald
acton@cs.ubc.ca

todd@toolz.uucp (Todd Merriman) (04/04/91)

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
>w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
>>Chuck Forsberg's rz/sz for Unix and VAX/VMS has been updated.  The
>>updated files are now available from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74].
>Can someone tell me of a site that has this that is a little more 'available'?

Can't really get more 'available' than Simtel.  E-mail to Keith Peterson
for directions on ordering files from Simtel.

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr04.035957.581@toolz.uucp> todd@toolz.uucp (Todd Merriman) writes:
>pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
>>w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
>>>Chuck Forsberg's rz/sz for Unix and VAX/VMS has been updated.  The
>>>updated files are now available from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74].
>>Can someone tell me of a site that has this that is a little more 'available'?
>
>Can't really get more 'available' than Simtel.  E-mail to Keith Peterson
>for directions on ordering files from Simtel.

Simtel is sometimes hard to get through to and is _very_ slow.  Not suprising
given the load on it.  I imagine that's what he means.

rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) (04/05/91)

How are rz and sz normally used?  I was very surprised to see in the man
pages an explicit statement that they are NOT intended for use with cu.

What is the usual dialout program?

thanks

nicktrou@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Nikos B. Troullinos) (04/17/91)

I tried the rz/sz software on a Sun under 4.1 and no success. It could be that
the 7 bits/even parity enforced by the University switches kills the thing.
Has anyone been able to make this combination work? Help appreciated.

-Nikos Troullinos
nicktrou@cat.syr.edu

pplacewa@bbn.com (Paul W Placeway) (04/23/91)

nicktrou@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Nikos B. Troullinos) writes:

< I tried the rz/sz software on a Sun under 4.1 and no success. It
< could be that the 7 bits/even parity enforced by the University
< switches kills the thing.  Has anyone been able to make this
< combination work? Help appreciated.

Consider using Kermit instead.

		-- Paul Placeway <pplaceway@bbn.com>