[comp.dcom.modems] <None>

dove@jessica.stanford.edu (Dav Amann) (11/10/90)

Subject:HELP
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 90 00:36:38 GMT

I have a datacom cts 2400 baud modem here and something weird has
happened.  I think I mistypped <atdt> and typed atfdt.  OK?

So now every character is echoed twice to my dumb vt100.  Sorry to be
so stupid, but could someone help me out?

Thanx for all your help,
Dav

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (11/11/90)

Dav Amann (dove@jessica.stanford.edu ) wrote:

 >I think I mistypped <atdt> and typed atfdt.

 >So now every character is echoed twice to my dumb vt100.

   If no numeric parameter is stated, 0 is implied. ATF0 = half-duplex, i.e.
the modem will echo every character sent back to the terminal. ATF1 should fix
it.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
MC Hammer, n. Device used to ensure firm seating of MicroChannel boards
Try our new Bud 'C' compiler... it specializes in 'case' statements!

tnixon@hayes.uucp (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar23.153254.8015@world.std.com>,
mkahl@world.std.com (Michael Kahl) writes:

> command.  However, this would not work.  Oh, the script would notice the ring
> all right, and the modem would pick up the line in response to the ATA, but
> inevitably no connection would be made and I'd see "NO CARRIER".

My first thought is that possibly your script is sending another
character to the modem after the "ATA".  This would cancel the
connection, if it were issued prior to the "CONNECT" result code.
Run your script again, and watch the SD light very carefully after
the ATA goes out and the modem goes off-hook.  If it blinks, you're
sending something that cancels the call.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

su0451@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (su0451) (04/06/91)

Subject:Info-Modem
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1991 17:54:40 GMT

   I'm looking to get a high-speed modem(preferably 14.4).
  Unfortunately my knowledge about modems and different Manufacturers'
  is very limited.

   I'm currently considering Pract. Periph.'s SA 14.4 or USR's Dual
  Standard.
  Does anyone have any experience with these brands or any recommendations?

                  Any INFO GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!

  Also do modems of the same brand have faster data transmission with
  each other ?

                             HH
                  su0451@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr5.175440.2000@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> su0451@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (su0451) writes:
>   I'm looking to get a high-speed modem(preferably 14.4).
>  Unfortunately my knowledge about modems and different Manufacturers'
>  is very limited.
>
>   I'm currently considering Pract. Periph.'s SA 14.4 or USR's Dual
>  Standard.
>  Does anyone have any experience with these brands or any recommendations?

What do you want to use it for?  If you are going to use it to call BBSes,
the overwhelming majority of high-speed BBSes use USR HST modems, so your
best bet is a USR.  If you are going to use it to do dialup to universities
or some companies, you will probably want a V.32 compatible modem.  In this
case, you might consider a Telebit.   However, the USR Dual Standard is
also compatible with this _and_ the next step up, V.32bis.

Reccomend:
  If you can afford it, you can't lose with a USR Dual standard.  You'll be
  compatible with just about everything at high speed (14,400 plus V.42 bis).

  Otherwise, if you are intending to use it to call bulletin board systems,
  look at a USR 14400 or 9600 modem and you will be compatible with most of
  them.

  Otherwise, if you are using it to connect to universities or businesses that
  use V.32 you can use almost any V.32 modem.  The Telebit modems are very
  good.

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (04/20/91)

In article <STEVE.91Apr19142629@endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov> steve@endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov (Steve Rezsutek) writes:
>In article <820011@hpcc01.HP.COM> bourman@hpcc01.HP.COM (Bob Bourman) writes:
>
>There is a register (don't recall which one off the top of my head) that
>controls whether the PEP tones come first or last. I have my chat script
>set up for `PEP last' when calling a V32 site. Other than that the factory
>defaults seem fine. Your mileage may vary, of course ;-)

Setting S92=1 won't change a thing if you're the originating modem.  It only
affects how your Telebit modem behaves when ANSWERING the phone.  As long as
you have S50=0 your modem should connect to a V.32 without a fuss.

The only exception to the rule I can think of is when you have a Telebit PEP
modem and the answering modem is a T2500.  If the answering modem puts out
PEP tones first, you'll link up with PEP instead of V.32 or V.22bis.  Setting
S50=6 in the T2500/T1500/T1600, or S50=3 in all others, will avoid the PEP
connection.

--
|  Greg Andrews   |       UUCP: {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gandrews    |

gundrum@svc.portal.com (04/24/91)

Subject: Technical Support Position Available