[comp.dcom.modems] AT I/O card with 16550, available

bruce@camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (03/28/91)

AT I/O cards with acceptable UARTS are very hard to find, but
just maybe there is one at an affordable price.

The EVEREX 'Magic I/O card', their # EVO-00-170-A1 sadly
has a 16450 chip, and that is what most distributors and hence dealers
are stocking. There IS another model available from EVEREX that
has a 16550 that is really the same card, different UART.
It is the # EVO-00-170-A3. That is NOT a National chip in there but
a Mylex (sp?) (MX with a slashed X logo), and it is NOT in a socket, but
is just soldered down (will they ever learn). Ultimately the expansion
kit to populate the socketed second port might be available with a GOOD
uart, but for now it has a cheap one.

If anyone knows a distributor or dealer that stocks these please mail
me. If you know any PROVEABLE reason that THAT 16550 they are using fails
where the National one doesn't, I want to know, and I will call the product
manager or mail you his name and number if you prefer. He is convinced it
is ok. I would rather pay a tad more for the National chip.

root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) (03/30/91)

Barton F. Bruce (bruce@camb.com ) wrote:

 >The EVEREX 'Magic I/O card', their # EVO-00-170-A1 sadly
 >has a 16450 chip, and that is what most distributors and
 >hence dealers are stocking. There IS another model
 >available from EVEREX that has a 16550 that is really the
 >same card, different UART. It is the # EVO-00-170-A3. That
 >is NOT a National chip in there but a Mylex (sp?) (MX with
 >a slashed X logo), [...]

 >If you know any PROVEABLE reason that THAT 16550 they are
 >using fails where the National one doesn't, I want to know,
 >and I will call the product manager or mail you his name
 >and number if you prefer. He is convinced it is ok.

   YOU DON'T WANT THAT CHIP!

   Recently I ordered some NS16550AFNs from a nearby distributor and, after a
significant delay, they said that National parts were not available but that
these MX chips were.  The salescritter assured me that they were 100%
compatible so, after extracting a promise of full credit towards National
chips if I was not satisfied, I ordered some.

   The chip was a disaster.  I've used both -AN and -AFN chips with no
troubles before, but these MX chips were impossible to get along with.  They
didn't lose characters, I'll give them that much credit... but it appeared (I
stress the word "appeared", because I didn't hang on to the chips long enough
to do a detailed analysis of them) as if the MX 16550 chips simply failed to
generate interrupt requests every now and then, effectively locking up the
serial port.  I was worse off with the MX chip - which locked up at any time -
than with a regular 16450 or 8250, which only lost characters while I was
multitasking heavily on my machine (and would be able to do something if a
nonrecoverable error cropped up, not that it ever did)

   Immediately I set about returning the MX chips.  Unfortunately, the person
who made me the promise seemed to be perpetually 'out' for nearly a week,
after which I learned that he was no longer with the company.  A short chat
with a techie at that company revealed that many customers had complained
about the MX chip.

   I bought NS16550AFNs from another source and plugged them in where the MX
had been.  No problems.  At all.

   When buying 16550s, DON'T SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN GENUINE NATIONAL
PARTS.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.fidonet.org     | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be failing
long after you and I have discovered new worlds.        - me

gil@limbic.ssdl.com (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (04/07/91)

In article <7127.27F41B8C@zswamp.fidonet.org> root@zswamp.fidonet.org (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:
>   YOU DON'T WANT THAT CHIP!
[...]
>   I bought NS16550AFNs from another source and plugged them in where the MX
>had been.  No problems.  At all.
>   When buying 16550s, DON'T SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN GENUINE NATIONAL
>PARTS.

Amen.  Stay away from the Western Digital version also...they don't
work properly either.

--
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.              gil@limbic.ssdl.com   ...!ames!limbic!gil
Southwest Systems Development Labs (Div of ICUS)   Houston, Texas

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr7.073129.7583@limbic.ssdl.com> gil@limbic.ssdl.com (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>Amen.  Stay away from the Western Digital version also...they don't
>work properly either.

Can you back this claim up with some facts?
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (04/11/91)

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:

> In article <1991Apr7.073129.7583@limbic.ssdl.com> gil@limbic.ssdl.com (Gil Kl
> >Amen.  Stay away from the Western Digital version also...they don't
> >work properly either.
>
> Can you back this claim up with some facts?

And could you include the number of the Western Digitial version....

I had a board with UMB2C550 chips on it (are these the Western
Digitals?) and it wasn't recognized by the XU.EXE (which comes with
the X00 driver for DOS) as a 16550/16550A.  When I changed the
chips ot NS1655A FAS showed a marked decrease in percentage of the
CPU time being used to handle the ports.

--Dave

bruce@camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr7.073129.7583@limbic.ssdl.com>, gil@limbic.ssdl.com (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:

> Amen.  Stay away from the Western Digital version also...they don't
> work properly either.

The WD chip is what MultiTech is stuffing in their v.42bis cards. Howmany
mad customers does it take to make them listen?

gil@limbic.ssdl.com (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (04/15/91)

>john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes: [in someone else's article]
>>>Amen.  Stay away from the Western Digital version also...they don't
>>>work properly either.
>>
>> Can you back this claim up with some facts?
>
>And could you include the number of the Western Digitial version....

Sorry I didn't see your article, I've been away from the newsgroup
for a while.

I used FAS (I believe, at the time, it was 2.06) with NS16550s using
Steve Nuchia's 4-port card on a 386/25 running Interactive UNIX.  The
board worked flawlessly with the National parts.  When swapped out
with WD16550s, I noticed failed connections.  On an attached terminal,
it appeared that parts of text from previous lines were re-appearing
in text of later lines.  It appeared to be a problem with the way
the FIFOs were handled, but being that we left them in long enough
to find they didn't work, nothing else could be concluded.  Replacing
the National parts caused the board to work fine again.

At the time we (Judy Scheltema) and I did the experiment, I believe
we also tried it on a regular serial card we socketed and swapped-in
the WD16550s.  This board failed also.

Here's the full chip-front from the WD 16550s that we used:

		(C)WDC'88
		WD16C550-PL
		00-02 8913
		002367846592

I'd be very happy to entertain comments as to what would make this
chip work, as I have a few of them in my possession that were used to
make this evaluation.  I've been saving them in case someone came up
with the reason why they didn't work.  However, the common consensus
is that they DON'T work, and so I'm inclined (having experienced the
same results) to stay clear of them.

Hope this is enough of an explanation for y'all.

Gil.
--

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr14.215409.16152@limbic.ssdl.com> gil@limbic.ssdl.com (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>The board worked flawlessly with the National parts.  When swapped
>out with WD16550s, I noticed failed connections.  On an attached
>terminal, it appeared that parts of text from previous lines were
>re-appearing in text of later lines.

It certainly sounds like the WD parts were at fault.  Here are my
experiences with them:

I've got a DigiBoard DigiCHANNEL PC/4 (dumb four port) with an NS chip
on one port connected to a TB+ at 19200 bps, and a WD chip on another
port connected to a Wyse terminal at 38400 bps, with the other two (unused)
ports having WD chips.  This is running under ESIX.

The modem has never exhibited any problems.  I've seen two problems
with the terminal.  First, when running emacs, if a cursor key is held
down, emacs will pop up a "Command:" prompt every 10-15 seconds.  So,
somehow, emacs was seeing either an ESC-x or an ('x' | 0x80) when being
sent one of ^K, ^L, ^H, or ^J at high speed.  Second, it was not
possible to exit from WordPerfect 4.2 (UNIX version).  After sending
the exit command, you would be left with a hung terminal, and an
unkillable shell attached to it.

These problems were experienced with the ESIX-supplied serial drivers.
Now, since I had an NS-equipped port on my serial board, it was a
simple matter of switching cables to see if the WD chips were at fault.
They weren't.  Both problems persisted.

So then FAS 2.07 came along.  I installed it, and the problems
remained.  And now I had random hung processes cropping up, so I got
rid of FAS.  The author then announced problems with 2.07 which could
cause hung processes.

When FAS 2.08 came out, I thought I'd give it another try, as the hung
process bug was supposed to be fixed.  Lo and behold, the hung
processes bug was fixed, and so were my other two problems.
WordPerfect and emacs now work perfectly.

I don't know what the moral of this story is, but I would have to
speculate that both the ESIX and FAS 2.07 asy drivers are buggy, and
that whatever might be wrong with WD 16550 chips, my usage of them
doesn't bring its problems out.
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (04/18/91)

In a letter to All, John Temples (john@jwt.UUCP ) wrote:

 >I don't know what the moral of this story is, but I would
 >have to
 >speculate that both the ESIX and FAS 2.07 asy drivers are
 >buggy, and
 >that whatever might be wrong with WD 16550 chips, my usage
 >of them
 >doesn't bring its problems out.

   As I understand it, the WD 16550s only exhibit problems at low bit rates
(2400 bps and below); you may not encounter the problems.

   I'd be interested in hearing from people using the MX 16550 in both
buffered and unbuffered mode.

Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553

tech@mich-ns.UUCP (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT) (04/25/91)

"
[...]
"--
"John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

No matter how good you think 16550's are, when you use a DTE speed of
38.4kbps or above, you can end up with problems.  Best bet is to get
an intelligent board like the PC/4e, which is only $528. Its worth
the extra $150 to alleviate the headaches.

Michigan Network Systems        Technical Support Division
1-800-736-5984                  BBS: +1 313 343 0800
We sell: TELEBIT  DIGIBOARD   WESTERN DIGITAL  3COM   SCO   INTERACTIVE
         MICROPOLIS    ADAPTEC