[comp.dcom.modems] Where to buy 16550 AFN UART chip?

young@sonia.math.ucla.edu (04/18/91)

My I/O card currently has one serial port installed with sockets
available for another.  I would like to leave COM1 alone and install
a 16550 AFN in COM2.  My problem is that I cannot find anyone willing
to sell me the UART chip alone.  Also, there are two additional small
ICs which need to be installed for the second serial port.  Any ideas
on which ICs I need there?  By the way, I have called WD and they
could only offer me the names of distributors selling the chip in
large quantities.

AdThanksVance.

Brian
young@agsm.ucla.edu

jsr@dexter.UUCP (Jay S. Rouman) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.234533.520@math.ucla.edu> young@agsm.ucla.edu writes:

>My I/O card currently has one serial port installed with sockets
>available for another.  I would like to leave COM1 alone and install
>a 16550 AFN in COM2.  My problem is that I cannot find anyone willing
>to sell me the UART chip alone.  Also, there are two additional small
>ICs which need to be installed for the second serial port.  Any ideas

JDR Microdevices lists a NS16550 for $14.95 in quantity one.  I'm sure
other places sell it--it was the first catalog I grabbed.  The two
small chips are probably 1488 and 1489 RS-232 drivers.  They are very
cheap and are available at Radio Shack.
--
Jay S. Rouman       Voice: 517/773-7887  | Distrust education.  Two of
E-mail: dexter!jsr@sharkey.cc.umich.edu  | the three R's are misspelled.

cs352a41@cs.iastate.edu (Adam Goldberg) (04/18/91)

young@sonia.math.ucla.edu writes:

>My I/O card currently has one serial port installed with sockets
>available for another.  I would like to leave COM1 alone and install
>a 16550 AFN in COM2.  My problem is that I cannot find anyone willing
>to sell me the UART chip alone.  Also, there are two additional small
>ICs which need to be installed for the second serial port.  Any ideas
>on which ICs I need there?  By the way, I have called WD and they
>could only offer me the names of distributors selling the chip in
>large quantities.

Believe it or not, I've known a Radio Shack or two to carry UARTS _in stock_!
Give it a try--they might even be able to order one for you...

! Adam Goldberg           !       *         ! "It's simple! Even a PASCAL     !
! cs352a41@cs.iastate.edu !       *         !  programmer could do it!"       !

tech@mich-ns.UUCP (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr17.234533.520@math.ucla.edu> young@agsm.ucla.edu writes:
"
"My I/O card currently has one serial port installed with sockets
"available for another.  I would like to leave COM1 alone and install
"a 16550 AFN in COM2.  My problem is that I cannot find anyone willing
"to sell me the UART chip alone.  Also, there are two additional small
"ICs which need to be installed for the second serial port.  Any ideas
"on which ICs I need there?  By the way, I have called WD and they
"could only offer me the names of distributors selling the chip in
"large quantities.
"

Try Jameco Electronics in California (Sorry, don't have their number
handy). We buy them in quantities of 1 and 2 all the time. Last time
I checked, the price was $17.50.

--
Michigan Network Systems        Technical Support Division
1-800-736-5984                  BBS: +1 313 343 0800