[comp.dcom.modems] How do I *force* a hang-up

rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Robert D. Thompson) (04/19/91)

	I have written a communications client application, but I
	am having trouble with a really basic problem.  That is,
	sometimes, I cannot force a hang up.

	I have tried "ATZ" (software reset) and "ATH0" and "ATH1" to
	take the line of and on again.  Even after I issue these
	commands I can pick up the phone and the line will still
	be active (i.e. szszszszszszszszszsszszsz).

	Any help would be appreciated
---
Robert |(8>

bourman@hpcc01.HP.COM (Bob Bourman) (04/23/91)

/ hpcc01:comp.dcom.modems / rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Robert D. Thompson) /  4:03 pm  Apr 18, 1991 /

>	I have written a communications client application, but I
	>am having trouble with a really basic problem.  That is,
	>sometimes, I cannot force a hang up.
>
	>I have tried "ATZ" (software reset) and "ATH0" and "ATH1" to
	>take the line of and on again.  Even after I issue these
	>commands I can pick up the phone and the line will still
	>be active (i.e. szszszszszszszszszsszszsz).
>
	>Any help would be appreciated
>---
>Robert |(8>
>----------

	Disable the Mi/Mic option.  Had the same problem.... The line will
	go ONHOOK with Mi/Mic on, but it takes several seconds. A/A1 will
	let the modem put the line onhook as as soon as it hangs up.

tech@mich-ns.UUCP (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT) (04/25/91)

In article <5969@vela.acs.oakland.edu> rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Robert D. Thompson) writes:
"
"	I have written a communications client application, but I
"	am having trouble with a really basic problem.  That is,
"	sometimes, I cannot force a hang up.
"
"	I have tried "ATZ" (software reset) and "ATH0" and "ATH1" to
"	take the line of and on again.  Even after I issue these
"	commands I can pick up the phone and the line will still
"	be active (i.e. szszszszszszszszszsszszsz).
"
"	Any help would be appreciated
"---

The sure fire way to do it with both modems is to drop the DTR signal
for about a second. The default settings on most modems will cause them
to hang up. For this you need to have access to routines which can access
the hardware in such a manner as to be able to drop the DTR signal and
then raise it again. On what kind of system is this installed?? What
developement environment did you use??  (ie: what language and compiler?)

--
Michigan Network Systems        Technical Support Division
1-800-736-5984                  BBS: +1 313 343 0800