[comp.dcom.modems] GVC V.42bis - Anybody have one or seen review?

rfn@rat.cica.indiana.edu () (04/24/91)

The GVC V.42bis modem is available at a pretty good price.  Anyone have
one or seen a review of it compared to other brands.  At $550 or so it is
very tempting looking and with a 5yr warranty it would appear that good
support is available.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Ron Nehrig
Woodsmith Software

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (04/25/91)

In a letter to All,  (rfn@rat.cica.indiana.edu ) wrote:

 >The GVC V.42bis modem is available at a pretty good price.
 >Anyone have
 >one or seen a review of it compared to other brands.  At
 >$550 or so it is
 >very tempting looking and with a 5yr warranty it would
 >appear that good
 >support is available.

 >Any comments would be appreciated.

   I tested the GVC V.32/V.42 (*not* V.42bis - it wasn't available at the
time) and, once I had memorized the docs and configured the modem properly,
it seemed to work well (with the exception of the irregularities I've been
discussing with Toby this past week... but I believe that they are V.42
traits, not peculiar to the GVC)

   At the time (a couple of months back), the V.42bis version was just
becoming available and the distributor didn't have one for me to play with.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.uucp            | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be
failing long after you and I have discovered new worlds. -- me