[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit V.32/MNP/V.42

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (04/25/91)

In article <349@nic.cerf.net> bdavis@nic.cerf.net (Barry Davis) writes:

>I would like to clarify my report of problems using V.42/MNP over V.32
>in Telebit T2500 modems.  This is due to ...[a posting by gandrews]...
>and a direct reply I received from Telebit (modems@america.telebit.com).
>
>My leased-line SLIP link using Telebit T2500s (GE7.00) and Data Probe hybrids
>is in line with Telebit recommendations.  ...[some bits deleted]...
>Using V.32, I was not able to get V.42/MNP working at all.  I was supported
>by Telebit in my testing, and I know the product settings pretty well by now,
>so there was little left to chance in so far as modem settings are concerned.
>
>Although I believe, and I was told, that there is a problem with BOTH V.42 and
>MNP over V.32, this is the direct reply I received from Telebit:
>
>|Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 17:22:33 PDT
>|From: Telebit Support acct <modems@america.telebit.COM>
>|To: cec@emulex.com
>|Subject: T2500 V.42
>|

>|Cerafin,
>|
>|I got your reply to David Kessner and when you said "I called Telebit and
>|they said it was an apparent problem with error correction or data comp."
>|How did you talk to?  We KNOW there is a problem w/ MNP, but we're not aware
>|of a problem with V.42 or V.42bis.  As a matter of fact, when people run into
>|the MNP problem, we SUGGEST that they use V.42 for their error correction/data
>|compression as it has no problems.  Maybe you need to call Tech. Support so
>|we can properly configure your modem to work in V.42 mode.
>|
>|Jim Tremolini.....Telebit Technical Support.

He's talking about a known problem when a V.32/MNP connection is established
to a NON-TELEBIT modem.  Connections between two T2500s modems don't exhibit
the problem, and neither do connections using V.42/V.42bis.  Since you were
using two T2500s, you would not have seen the problem Jim mentioned.

Since the modem support group has no record of your call, it's natural that
he (and I) wondered where the source of your original information was.

--
|  Greg Andrews   |       UUCP: {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gandrews    |