[comp.dcom.modems] Sync Port and V.42 & V.32

njg@cbnewsk.att.com (nick.j.gnesda) (04/25/91)

I have some questions which I believe ( hope ) others may have
already developed/devised an answer to. Any help they can offer
would be greatly appreciated. The questions are specific
to the V.32 and V.42 ( and their "bis" variants" ) modems.

	It seems most people use these modems for asynchronous
	communications does anybody use these modems to connect
	to X.25 packet switching networks using synchronous
	ports?

I am not a modem expert by any means but I have read the claims
of various modem manufactures. In general many V.32/V.42 modems
claim synchronous and asynchronous communication capabilities.
Most provide an AT command set for dialing, others in addition
to the AT command set support a standard called V.25bis, from
what I can tell by reading some CCITT specs V.25bis defines
a synchronous dialing command set, which replaces the AT commands.
V.25bis can be used by HDLC ( X.25 ) and byte synchronous ( BISYNC )
protocols

I wish to establish communications with other computers over
synchronous ports and I would like to use V.42bis modems
which offer some very nice price/performance statistics
but am uncertain as to how to provide the needed dialing
flexibility.

Here's some more questions for any synchronous V.32 and V.42 modem
users.

	If you dial multiple locations and utilize synchronous
	communications in an automated fashion; how are you
	establishing the modem connection?

	Is anyone using V.25bis?

Thank You
Nick Gnesda
= Nick Gnesda AT&T-BL 				Place Your Disclaimer
= att mail: hrmso!njg		       			Here
= internet: njg@hrmso.att.com

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.154758.8842@cbnewsk.att.com> njg@cbnewsk.att.com (nick.j.gnesda) writes:

>I have some questions which I believe ( hope ) others may have
>already developed/devised an answer to. Any help they can offer
>would be greatly appreciated. The questions are specific
>to the V.32 and V.42 ( and their "bis" variants" ) modems.
>

>	It seems most people use these modems for asynchronous
>	communications does anybody use these modems to connect
>	to X.25 packet switching networks using synchronous
>	ports?

    Yes.  When you run a sync interface, V.42 and V.42bis are
    not applicable....nor is speed mapping or any of the other
    async features.

    The modems typically provide clocking to the DTE's so if the
    modems alter speeds (on V.32 error rate) the DTE's will
    follow.

    A V.32 modem typically offers 9600 sync and some fall back
    to 4800 on noisy links.  V.32bis offers 14.400 sync, some
    fall back on noisy lines.

    V.32 modems work extremely well for SDLC dial-up or even
    X.25 IF (and only IF) the modem configuration is matched to
    the DTE configuration.

    X.25 is not normally a dial protocol, but you can usually
    spoof the DTE sufficiently to make it work over a dial
    connection.   SDLC may be implemented as either dial or
    leased line over V.32.

>V.25bis can be used by HDLC ( X.25 ) and byte synchronous ( BISYNC )
>protocols

   V.25bis offers a bit oriented dial mode that uses the
   broadcast link address and Unnumbered Information frames.
   SOME DTE's can be altered to provide this.....X.25 ones have
   more difficulty than SDLC ones....as X.25 typically uses only
   address 01 and 03, where SDLC primary stations typically
   support FF.

>I wish to establish communications with other computers over
>synchronous ports and I would like to use V.42bis modems

   V.42bis is NOT a sync protocol.  It is for async data
   compression.  It must be disabled (as must V.42, MNP, etc.

>	If you dial multiple locations and utilize synchronous
>	communications in an automated fashion; how are you
>	establishing the modem connection?

    It depends on your DTE and how much you can hack it.  Some
    can use async AT commands, then go sync. (this is rare and
    has a gotcha...)   Bisync stations (IBM type) have problems
    with the V.25bis Byte Oriented dial unless you have direct
    access to the link level inputs.

    Bit sync devices need to support Addx 0xFF and UI frames
    with Poll/Final bit parsing in order to use V.25bis HDLC.

>	Is anyone using V.25bis?

    I have, you normally have to write your own link level code
    to issue the dial strings.   If X.25 you will also have to
    be VERY aware of the peculiarities of V.32 modems in
    raising/lowering their EIA leads.   Some spoofing of timers
    is required as well......how will depend on your specific
    machine and whether or not you have source code acess for
    the sync ports.

    Most sync users today (w/o V.25bis) use DTR Dial or just use
    an external RS-366 or V.25 (parallel) dialler....which
    requires a separate port....