[comp.dcom.modems] Where is kermit 5.0

kevin@modcomp.uucp (Kevin Smith) (04/18/91)

Does anyone here know where I can get a hold of the source for
Kermit 5.0 either by phone, mail or FTP site?

Kevin Smith uunet!modcomp!glsdev!kevin

young@pinyon.math.ucla.edu (Brian Young) (04/19/91)

In article <kevin.671982272@glsdev> kevin@modcomp.uucp (Kevin Smith) writes:
>Does anyone here know where I can get a hold of the source for
>Kermit 5.0 either by phone, mail or FTP site?
>
>Kevin Smith uunet!modcomp!glsdev!kevin

The latest version of Kermit is 3.10.  I got it from one of Columbia's
anonymous ftp sites a few weeks ago, but I don't recall the address.
Below is Kermit's U. S. post address and telephone number.  I've also
appended some useful information from KERMSRV@CUVMA.  Good luck!

    Kermit Distribution
    Columbia University Center for Computing Activities
    612 West 115th Street
    New York, NY  10025  USA
    Telephone: (212) 854-3703

:READ  KERMSRV  INFO     A1 SRV191 04/19/91 01:02:38
KermSrv Release 5.0F (5 Feb 90)

KERMSRV is a file-server for Columbia University's Kermit Distribution
files.  KERMSRV accepts commands via messages, spool files, or mail.
Most spool file formats are accepted including those used by SENDFILE,
NOTE, PUNCH, PRINT, CARD or DISK DUMP commands.  At most 10 KERMSRV
commands can be specified in each spool file.

The following commands are accepted:  SEND, PUNCH, PRINT, DISK, CARD,
BITSEND, and MAIL.  These commands expect a file name or "DIR" or "?"
as an operand.  The DIR operand accepts an optional file name also.
Three letter abbreviations of these commands are also accepted.

File names may contain * or % wildcard characters, but the filename
portion may not consist of those characters only.  For example, use
PUNCH IK0* and PUNCH IKC* commands to have all files for KERMIT-CMS
punched to you.  If the filetype is omitted * is assumed; a filetype
can be specified immediately following the filename separated by
blanks or a period.  For example, MAIL IKC*.ASM and MAIL IKC* ASM are
the same commands.  If you use wildcards in the filename portion, at
least 3 non-wild characters must exist in the filename.

If the PUNCH command is used, files with lrecl 80 or less will be
PUNCHed, all others will be DISK DUMPed.  If the PRINT command is
used, files with lrecl 132 or less are PRINTed, all others are sent
via SENDFILE.  Use the SEND, CARD, DISK, or BITSEND commands to
receive files in SENDFILE, CARD DUMP, DISK DUMP, or BITRCV formats,
respectively.  Please note that PRINT and SENDFILE formats are the
most efficient methods to use because Kermit files are kept in
V-format.  CARD DUMP format is only useful to those who have access to
Cornell's CARD program.  If BITSEND is used, the files are sent using
SLAC's BITSEND program and must be received using BITRCV.  If the MAIL
command is used the files are sent via the standard system MAIL
interface; files with lrecl larger than 80 cannot be sent via mail.

In addition to those commands mentioned above, KermSrv accepts the DIR
command and returns the requested directory listing as a spool file.
The format of the resulting spool file is determined by the request
type.  If the request is received as a message, the directory listing
is sent as messages if there are only a few files which match the file
name, and as a punch file otherwise.  If the DIR request was received
in a mail file, the response is sent as a mail file also.  DIRECTORY,
LISTFILE, LF, INDEX, FL, FLIST, and FILELIST, as well as any 3 letter
abbreviations of these, are accepted as synonyms for DIR.

HELP or INFO commands return this document which is always kept up to
date as new KermSrv functions are implemented.  NEWS command returns
information about latest features and changes in KermSrv.

Some files may appear more than once in the directory listing because
Kermit files are stored in multiple directories (minidisks).  If you
are unfamililar with the naming conventions for Kermit files, request
the file AAFILES.HLP.

KermSrv will always respond with some message indicating an error or
confirmation.  If your request was received as a spool file, error
messages are sent in a spool file.

Command lines longer than 60 characters are ignored.  An identical
command from the same user can only be processed after five minutes of
inactivity.  These rules are enforced to avoid runaway message and
file traffic between KermSrv and another service machine, and to
eliminate duplicate requests from the same impatient user.

Furthermore, following BITNET guidelines, large files (over 80K) are
shipped overnight unless they are BITSENT.  9pm-6am Eastern Time is
considered night-time for file service.  KermSrv will also retry
sending files once an hour after the night-time starts if there were
any problems with shipping them.  RSCS file transmission priority is
based on file size:  50 for small (under 16K), 55 for medium and large
files.  The overhead for DISK DUMP and PUNCH commands are included in
the file size computation; the actual file size is used for other
methods.  We recommend that you request Kermit files using BITSEND.

Send comments to VVVCU@CUVMB via mail.

young@oak.math.ucla.edu (Brian Young) (04/19/91)

In article <kevin.671982272@glsdev> kevin@modcomp.uucp (Kevin Smith) writes:
>Does anyone here know where I can get a hold of the source for
>Kermit 5.0 either by phone, mail or FTP site?
>
>Kevin Smith uunet!modcomp!glsdev!kevin

Try anonymous ftp from kermit.cc.columbia.edu (128.59.39.2).  Good luck!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
%       __                          BITNET: young@uclagsm       %
%      /  )                       Internet: young@agsm.ucla.edu %
%     /--<  __   O  _   __      CompuServe: 72571,2600          %
%   _/___/_/ (__(__(_|_/) )_     Telephone: (818) 881-3539      %
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

blarson@blars (04/20/91)

In article <kevin.671982272@glsdev> kevin@modcomp.uucp (Kevin Smith) writes:
>Does anyone here know where I can get a hold of the source for
>Kermit 5.0 either by phone, mail or FTP site?

5.0 for what operating system?
Columbia maintains a large archive of kermit implementations for ftp
from watsun.cc.columbia.edu .

If you are realy asking for C-kermit 5a (for unix, vms, and a few
other operating systems) please note that it is in alpha test and new
releases are frequent.  Additional alpha testers should be willing to
spend time porting and debugging on systems not widely available.
(I'm one of many sunos users, did the port to dynix/ptx, and am
working on one to os9/68k.)

4f never officially made it past beta test, but get it from the
kermit/test directory if you want (IMHO) the best version suitable for
production use.

4e is the lastest official non-test release of C-kermit.  I think it's
in kermit/b, but I'm not sure off hand.

--
blarson@usc.edu
		C news and rn for os9/68k!

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (04/25/91)

  So, what will kermit 5.0 offer over 4e?  I heard rumors a while back
that sliding windows and binary transfer mode for 8-bit clean links were
a couple of new performance improvements.  Both of these would be greatly
appreciated here ...

Casey

jsr@dexter.mi.org (Jay S. Rouman) (04/26/91)

In article <96130@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) writes:

>  So, what will kermit 5.0 offer over 4e?  I heard rumors a while back
>that sliding windows and binary transfer mode for 8-bit clean links were
>a couple of new performance improvements.  Both of these would be greatly
>appreciated here ...

Kermit 5A provides large packets, sliding windows, a the MS-Kermit
script language, BSD network support, and lots more.  The current
version is 5A(170) and indications are that changes to the program
from now on will be for non-Unix platforms (VMS, Amiga, Mac, etc.).
Edit 170 is still Alpha test but seems to be fine.  Before now, 5A had
been a moving target but things should start slowing down.  I wouldn't
be afraid of it at all.  I'm one of the folks testing 5A on various
Unix systems and use it every day--I've mostly forgotten what features
4E had.
--
Jay S. Rouman       Voice: 517/773-7887  | Distrust education.  Two of
              E-mail: jsr@dexter.mi.org  | the three R's are misspelled.

cgreen@essex.ac.uk (04/26/91)

From article <96130@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, by casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom):

>   So, what will kermit 5.0 offer over 4e?  I heard rumors a while back
> that sliding windows and binary transfer mode for 8-bit clean links were
> a couple of new performance improvements.  Both of these would be greatly
> appreciated here ...

I recently downloaded and compiled the test version of C-kermit version
5A, it appears to run fine on our 68010 box running Uniplus+ Unix
version 5.2.xxx.  It does have sliding windows, this was the main thing
I was after.  Just at the first try I got 220cps on a 2400/V22bis modem
connection which is quite a bit better than I ever managed with version
4E.

Chris Green  (chris@kbss.bt.co.uk  or  cgreen@essex.ac.uk)