[comp.dcom.modems] Need help on US Robotics Dual Standard Modem.

stevela@beach.csulb.edu (Steve La) (04/27/91)

Help!  I recently bought an US Robotics HST Dual Standard modem.  It supports
HST protoco and v.32.  Does it support v.42, v.42bis, and v.32bis?  How can I
find out? Is there any 'ATxx' command that I can check to see...? The manual
does not mention support on any of these.  Can I upgrade my modem to v.32bis?
I appreciate any pointers.  Thanks in advance.

-Steve     SteveLa@csulb.edu
BTW, how do you open the US Robotics DS modem?

schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) (04/27/91)

>Help!  I recently bought an US Robotics HST Dual Standard modem.  It supports
>HST protoco and v.32.  Does it support v.42, v.42bis, and v.32bis?  How can I
>find out? Is there any 'ATxx' command that I can check to see...? The manual
>does not mention support on any of these.  Can I upgrade my modem to v.32bis?
>I appreciate any pointers.  Thanks in advance.

If it's the new model with the rectangular LED's and a pushbutton on the
front panel, it supports V.32bis ... if not then it supports only V.32.

All the V.32bis models support V.42/V.42bis out of the box. The older
(V.32) models required an upgrade if they were made before May-June 1990.
Type ATI7 and look for the date code of the Supervisor firmware. If it's
later than late 5/90, then you have V.42/V.42bis. Now call USRobotics and
get the latest ROM; the early V.42 firmware had some pretty nasty bugs.

You open the modem by removing the back pair of rubber feet. There are
screws underneath. When you remove the two screws the bottom of the
case can be removed.

 Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
 NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE:
 The Portal (R) System:  schuster@cup.portal.com    |           MSCHUSTER

luce@aurs01.UUCP (J. Luce) (04/29/91)

-
--Steve     SteveLa@csulb.edu
-BTW, how do you open the US Robotics DS modem?

Hmmmm, sounds like you bought a used one because the manual tells you
all of this (including how to get into the box for the purpose of using
nailed-up lines).

The older DSs do not do V.32bis (maybe not even V.42bis, not sure). I
have a new one, and believe me it does it all (except PEP <g>). I am
tickled, love it, and all kinds of good comments like that.

ATI7 will give you product configuration.

John Luce               | Life is the leading cause of death
Alcatel Network Systems | -----------------------------------------
Raleigh, NC             | Standard Disclaimer Applies
919-850-6787            | Mail? Here? Try aurs01!aurw46!luce@mcnc.org
-------------------------------- or John.Luce@f130.n151.z1.fidonet.org

laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr26.235620.11773@beach.csulb.edu> stevela@beach.csulb.edu (Steve La) writes:
>Help!  I recently bought an US Robotics HST Dual Standard modem.  It supports
>HST protoco and v.32.  Does it support v.42, v.42bis, and v.32bis?  How can I
>find out? Is there any 'ATxx' command that I can check to see...? The manual
>does not mention support on any of these.  Can I upgrade my modem to v.32bis?
>I appreciate any pointers.  Thanks in advance.

There are usually addenda to the manual (my HST-DS only goes to V.42 but not
V.32bis) and there are indeed ways to detect (if not set) the presence or
absence of the desired connection type.

Read that manual _carefully_, especially as regards the AT&{K,M} settings,
and after the connection is over type ATI6 which tells all about the
previous session, except that ATI3 tells what the connect time was.

You can set the connect message to varying levels of verbosity, too, but I
forget the AT.. for that offhand -- look in the book or in the AT{$,&$}
online help feature.

I guess I should buzz them for upgraded V.42 ROMs - I do get MNP lockout
on some modems with the reported error "MNP incompatibility".
Laird J. Heal                           The Usenet is dead!
Here:  laird@chinet.chi.il.us		Long live the Usenet!