[comp.dcom.modems] Practical Peripherals 9600 baud

stibolt@glacier.UUCP (Tom Stibolt) (04/27/91)

Has anyone used (had good or bad experiences) or does anyone
know about the Practical Peripherals 9600 baud modem which is
supposed to support v.32 and v.42bis and maybe MNP5 protocols.
This modem is currently available for $449 which seems a good
deal if it does what it claims to do.  Answers here or by mail.
Thanks!

opsrjh@uccvma.ucop.edu (Richard Hintz) (04/28/91)

In article <353@glacier.UUCP> stibolt@glacier.UUCP (Tom Stibolt) writes:
>Has anyone used (had good or bad experiences) or does anyone
>know about the Practical Peripherals 9600 baud modem which is
>supposed to support v.32 and v.42bis and maybe MNP5 protocols.
>This modem is currently available for $449 which seems a good
>deal if it does what it claims to do.  Answers here or by mail.

We got one.  It interoperates with our Multitech V.32/V.42bis rack mounted
modems, which is the main thing we were concerned with. For some reason it
doesn't go into Compress mode when communicating with the MultiTechs.  We're
getting a ROM update from the manufacturer.
We're going to buy more.

Richard Hintz   opsrjh@uccvma.ucop.edu
University of California

jnford@argos.weeg.uiowa.edu (Jay Ford) (04/30/91)

In article <353@glacier.UUCP>, stibolt@glacier.UUCP (Tom Stibolt) writes:
|> Has anyone used (had good or bad experiences) or does anyone
|> know about the Practical Peripherals 9600 baud modem which is
|> supposed to support v.32 and v.42bis and maybe MNP5 protocols.
|> This modem is currently available for $449 which seems a good
|> deal if it does what it claims to do.  Answers here or by mail.
|> Thanks!

I have used a few of them.  They seem to work OK in general, but I've had one
(out of three) go belly up within a week after unpacking it.  I've also had
some trouble getting SLIP to work over a line with a Practical Peripherals
9600SA on one end and a MultiTech something on the other, but I haven't yet
determined which is at fault.

My impression is that the Practical Peripherals 9600SA is a good modem for a
basic terminal-type connection, but that it isn't really up to acting as a
modem in a pool of dial-in ports (it doesn't come in a rack-mount
configuration, so it is not physically suitable for a large pool anyway).
The verdict isn't in yet on using it for a SLIP link.

Jay Ford, Weeg Computing Center, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242
jnford@handlebar.weeg.uiowa.edu, 319-335-5555

rob@violet.berkeley.edu (Rob Robertson) (04/30/91)

We use slip over the PP 9600SA and it works just fine.  I however don't
interoperate them with other modems...

my only complaint is the on/off switch...  it gets reset to off when
the power goes out and comes back on.

rob
--
			  william robertson
		       rob@violet.berkeley.edu

	 "i'm from the computer center, i'm here to help you"

bhall@pbs.org (Dark Star) (04/30/91)

In article <ROB.91Apr29131213@hanalei.berkeley.edu>, rob@violet.berkeley.edu (Rob Robertson) writes:
> my only complaint is the on/off switch...  it gets reset to off when
> the power goes out and comes back on.

That can be corrected by opening the modem and changing a jumper.  Here is
a shortened version of the instructions from Practical Peripherals:

Remove the case side panel

With the modem lying on its side, the front panel should be to your right
and the RS232 connector to your left.  Remove the three screws...(at the top
edge)

With the screws removed, lift on the lower left corner of the plastic side
and once clear of the chassis, swing the left corner toward your body.

Power-Up Option Header:

On header W1, the factory default jumper position is across pins two and
four.  For BBS or other unattended operation, place the Berg jumper
across pins one and three.

In the later position, when AC power is removed and subsequently restored,
the modem will be ON if the modem was ON when AC power was removed.

--
Bruce Hall                     Domain: bhall@pbs.org
Public Broadcasting Service    UUCP:...{uupsi,vrdxhq,csed-1,ida.org}!pbs!bhall