[comp.dcom.modems] T2500 hangs up right after connection

tomb@marque.mu.edu (Tom Baas) (04/24/91)

I have a problem that I wonder if anyone can help me out with.

In trying to call another system with ny Telebit T2500 at 2400bps.
I get a connection to the point where I get the modem message:

CONNECT 2400

But immediatly thereafter it gets hung up.  I am sure that the basic
modem settings are correct and if I were to call different systems
at 2400 bps, the connection is fine.

I notice that the third sound comming from the modem lasts a little long.
(first the host responds, them mine responds, then they both acknowledge
proper speed(?))  But this also happens when I call the other sites which
are successful.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.
--
I can accept e-mail and Voice-mail at:
..lakesys!tbaas!tom      or   tom\@tbaas         or      tbaas.lakesys.com!tom

brian@king.csd.mot.com (04/24/91)

tomb@marque.mu.edu (Tom Baas) writes:

>I have a problem that I wonder if anyone can help me out with.

>In trying to call another system with ny Telebit T2500 at 2400bps.
>I get a connection to the point where I get the modem message:

>CONNECT 2400

>But immediatly thereafter it gets hung up.  I am sure that the basic
>modem settings are correct and if I were to call different systems
>at 2400 bps, the connection is fine.

>I notice that the third sound comming from the modem lasts a little long.
>(first the host responds, them mine responds, then they both acknowledge
>proper speed(?))  But this also happens when I call the other sites which
>are successful.

>Any Ideas?

I've seen a similar problem here.  The symptoms vary, but what happens is
that the modem hangs up (it disconnects from the phone line) sometime during
the connection sequence.  Sometimes it succeeds in connecting first, but
other times it hangs up in the middle of presenting tones.  Usually the
tones sound a bit funny as this is happening.  It is not particular about
the type of modem to which the connection is being attempted.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to consistently reproduce the problem.
I have a rack to T2500's in a hunt group, and so I'm not even sure which
modem (if it is only one of them) is having problems.  Doing some outgoing
calls seems to clear up the problem.

What I have been suspecting is that some kind of outgoing call leaves the
modem in a funny state, and subsequent incoming calls to that modem won't
work until another outgoing call has been placed which leaves the modem in
a normal state.

Tom, does this problem *always* occur on your system, or is it transient?
Does your T2500 also handle outgoing calls?  Do my suspicions seem to
fit with your experience?

Anyone else have this kind of problem out there? It's really annoying...

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (04/25/91)

In article <958@spool.mu.edu> tomb@marque.mu.edu (Tom Baas) writes:

>In trying to call another system with ny Telebit T2500 at 2400bps.
>I get a connection to the point where I get the modem message:
>
>CONNECT 2400
>
>But immediatly thereafter it gets hung up.  I am sure that the basic
>modem settings are correct and if I were to call different systems
>at 2400 bps, the connection is fine.

Does the other modem have error correction enabled?  If not (or you're
not certain), then try turning off error correction in your T2500.

Either S95=0 S97=0 S107=0, or &Q0 should do the trick, depending on
whether you use the Enhanced Command mode or Conventional Command mode.

--
.------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|  Greg Andrews   |       UUCP: {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gandrews    |

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (04/25/91)

In <3747@motcsd.csd.mot.com> brian@king.csd.mot.com writes:

>tomb@marque.mu.edu (Tom Baas) writes:

>>I have a problem that I wonder if anyone can help me out with.

>>In trying to call another system with ny Telebit T2500 at 2400bps.
>>I get a connection to the point where I get the modem message:

>>CONNECT 2400

>>But immediatly thereafter it gets hung up.  I am sure that the basic
>>modem settings are correct and if I were to call different systems
>>at 2400 bps, the connection is fine.

>>I notice that the third sound comming from the modem lasts a little long.
>>(first the host responds, them mine responds, then they both acknowledge
>>proper speed(?))  But this also happens when I call the other sites which
>>are successful.

>>Any Ideas?

>I've seen a similar problem here.  The symptoms vary, but what happens is
>that the modem hangs up (it disconnects from the phone line) sometime during
>the connection sequence.  Sometimes it succeeds in connecting first, but
>other times it hangs up in the middle of presenting tones.  Usually the
>tones sound a bit funny as this is happening.  It is not particular about
>the type of modem to which the connection is being attempted.

>Unfortunately, I have not been able to consistently reproduce the problem.
>I have a rack to T2500's in a hunt group, and so I'm not even sure which
>modem (if it is only one of them) is having problems.  Doing some outgoing
>calls seems to clear up the problem.

>What I have been suspecting is that some kind of outgoing call leaves the
>modem in a funny state, and subsequent incoming calls to that modem won't
>work until another outgoing call has been placed which leaves the modem in
>a normal state.

>Tom, does this problem *always* occur on your system, or is it transient?
>Does your T2500 also handle outgoing calls?  Do my suspicions seem to
>fit with your experience?

>Anyone else have this kind of problem out there? It's really annoying...

Well, one possibility might be that the modem (receiving) is not set for
quiet mode.  When the modem gets a ring it will respond with RING<CR>.
The receiving computer will get this and respond with "Login:" (or
whatever).  Most modems are left configured to drop a dial or answer
when receiving data from the DTE.  The login prompt can drop the line.
In many cases this happens when the line first picks up before the
search tones get a chance to sync, but on a system with a slight delay
it could get a chance to sync or almost sync.

One easy way to rule this out would be to try another calling modem.  If
this is the problem the calling modem with matter a hoot.

Charles "Chip" Yamasaki
chip@oshcomm.osha.gov

jh@moon.nbn.com (John Harkin) (04/26/91)

brian@king.csd.mot.com writes:

>tomb@marque.mu.edu (Tom Baas) writes:

>>I have a problem that I wonder if anyone can help me out with.

>>In trying to call another system with ny Telebit T2500 at 2400bps.
>>I get a connection to the point where I get the modem message:

>>CONNECT 2400

>>But immediatly thereafter it gets hung up.  I am sure that the basic
>>modem settings are correct and if I were to call different systems
>>at 2400 bps, the connection is fine.

>I've seen a similar problem here.  The symptoms vary, but what happens is
>that the modem hangs up (it disconnects from the phone line) sometime during
>the connection sequence.  Sometimes it succeeds in connecting first, but
>other times it hangs up in the middle of presenting tones.  Usually the
>tones sound a bit funny as this is happening.  It is not particular about
>the type of modem to which the connection is being attempted.

>Anyone else have this kind of problem out there? It's really annoying...

I get this symptom when I call a non-MNP 2400 baud modem with MNP
enabled on the T2500.  The cure is to set "ATs106=0s97=0s95=0".
This turns off all the good stuff we paid extra for so that nobody gets
confused about going slow.  :-)

John
--
John Harkin    +1 415 472-2452    uunet!moon!jh    jh@nbn.com
North Bay Network - News and mail for Marin county and vicinity

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (04/26/91)

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) writes:

> In article <958@spool.mu.edu> tomb@marque.mu.edu (Tom Baas) writes:
> >
> >In trying to call another system with ny Telebit T2500 at 2400bps.
> >I get a connection to the point where I get the modem message:
> >
> >CONNECT 2400
> >
> >But immediatly thereafter it gets hung up.  I am sure that the basic
> >modem settings are correct and if I were to call different systems
> >at 2400 bps, the connection is fine.
> >

> Does the other modem have error correction enabled?  If not (or you're
> not certain), then try turning off error correction in your T2500.

Hmmm, maybe the other way around.... If the calling modem has no
error correction (perhaps indicated by the CONNECT 2400, but this
could depend on the level of ATXn) then it will say it's connected
while the *other* modem is still figuring out whether error correction
is enabled. If the *other* modem is set to accept only error correction
calls, it will hangup when it find that the call is not such.

If such is the case, then the "immediately" might be around 5-7 seconds,
which is the time that the error correction handshaking takes....

--Dave

tomb@marque.mu.edu (Tom Baas) (04/27/91)

After reading all the responses to my question, I tackled my problem again.

I got it to work.  THANKS ALL.

What I did was: set my switches S95=2S50=3S97=0S106=0

I then also played around with the chat script.

I think it was S97 & S106 that did the trick.  That and increasing the
length of the chat script by putting some delays in it and looking for data
that really wasn't needed, just to clear the buffer.

Again, Thanks all.  :)
--
I can accept e-mail and Voice-mail at:
tbaas!tom      or   tom@tbaas      or  ....marque!tomb  or  tomb@marque

powell@wraith.netops.contel.com (Mike Powell "CFS Net Ops") (04/28/91)

In article <958@spool.mu.edu> tomb@marque.mu.edu (Tom Baas) writes:
>I have a problem that I wonder if anyone can help me out with.
>
>In trying to call another system with ny Telebit T2500 at 2400bps.
>I get a connection to the point where I get the modem message:
>
>CONNECT 2400
>
>But immediatly thereafter it gets hung up.  I am sure that the basic
>modem settings are correct and if I were to call different systems
>at 2400 bps, the connection is fine.
>
>I notice that the third sound comming from the modem lasts a little long.
>(first the host responds, them mine responds, then they both acknowledge
>proper speed(?))  But this also happens when I call the other sites which
>are successful.
>
>Any Ideas?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>--
>I can accept e-mail and Voice-mail at:
>..lakesys!tbaas!tom      or   tom\@tbaas         or      tbaas.lakesys.com!tom
>or Voice at: 1-414-377-4038

You are probably reaching the maximum time allowed for the modems to
connect. time it and check the value of register 7. if they are close
bump up the value in register 7 (Wait for carrier time).

hope this helps.
Mike
--
Mike Powell PPASEL
"It's hard to find router bits for your cisco." MRP 03/29/91

peter@micromuse.co.uk (Peter Galbavy) (05/02/91)

brian@king.csd.mot.com writes:

>>CONNECT 2400

>>But immediatly thereafter it gets hung up.  I am sure that the basic

>I've seen a similar problem here.  The symptoms vary, but what happens is
>that the modem hangs up (it disconnects from the phone line) sometime during
>the connection sequence.  Sometimes it succeeds in connecting first, but
>other times it hangs up in the middle of presenting tones.  Usually the
>tones sound a bit funny as this is happening.  It is not particular about
>the type of modem to which the connection is being attempted.

Using a 2500, I get this sometimes when I try to connect to a 2400
modem with MNP, usually the cheap ones. The solution for me is to turn
off all error correction for the call. S95=0 S97=0 S106=0. This is
only true for calling out, I do not see this for incoming calls.

Hope this helps.
--
Peter Galbavy
Tech Support, Micromuse Ltd

Disclaimer: Time flies like an arrow... Fruit flies like a banana