[comp.dcom.modems] CompuCom CSP modems 9600???

CHARLIE@UMVMA.BITNET (Charlie Turner) (05/07/91)

On Mon, 6 May 91 00:24:49 MDT <INFO-MODEMS-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> said:

>Date: 5 May 91 20:39:15 GMT
>From: usc!samsung!nstar!larry@apple.com  (Larry Snyder)
>Subject: Re: CompuComm CSP modems 9600???
>
>shihsun@roof.Princeton.EDU (Shih-ping S Sun) writes:
>
>>The CompuCom modem is $169 for the Sysop Deal, from what i undersatnd.
>>They have a pretty large following in the WWIVnet (of which I am a
>>sysop).  In fact, one of our servers (@1021 in St. Louis) uses a
>>CompuCom.  They use a proprietary 9600 protocol, so a CompuCom will only
>>do high speeds with another CompuCom.  I am not sure that they will do
>>38.4.  All CompuCom boards are listed as 19.2 in the WWIvnet data files.
>
>what protocol do these modems use?  Is it full duplex?

The CompuCom sysop deal is $169 for the CSP modem plus fax transmit
(normally a $249 product). I think $169 is the regular price for the
CSP modem w/o fax. While the current product is an ISA internal PC
modem, their literature says there will be an external modem product
'real soon now.'

My speculation is that CompuCom has devised a way to get 'duplex'
performance out of some kind of relatively inexpensive chip set (v.29
perhaps). I don't know if this is an asymetric scheme or a transmit/
receive line turnaround scheme. I too would be interested in knowing
how it actually works.

I briefly considered buying one of these for my personal use, but
decided in the end that the multivendor interoperability offered by
V.32 was worth the extra cost to me.