[comp.dcom.modems] HST and v.32

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (05/09/91)

fg041@unocss.unomaha.edu (fg041) writes:

>I have noticed this frequently when calling Intel 9600ex modems from the
>USR Courier HST.  I'm not sure which modem is at fault (both ??) but I will
>often get half a screenful of garbage before the session dies.

That's because HST protocol is different from v.32;  you don't mention using
a Dual Standard, but only an HST, which suggests that you're making an HST
or possibly plain ol' 2400-baud connection.  Neither HST nor the Bell
modulation scheme used for 2400 baud has a "connection termination" handshake,
while v.32 does.  (I could be wrong;  HST<->HST connections *might* have such
a handshake.  I'm not fortunate enough to own a fast modem.)

A plain ol' Courier HST cannot speak v.32, so you're bound to get noise at
the end of a connection that is terminated by the other side.  V.32 modems
on v.32 connections should not exhibit this behavior.
--
        ... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: <on vacation>    |  Harry was too homely for Sally.  (I have proof.)