[comp.dcom.modems] Ymodem

tristan@killer.UUCP (Rob Beckham) (07/04/87)

I am looking for ymodem to run under Sys5.  Red Ryder for the Macintosh has
ymodem and allows you to batch upload and download with it.  Does any one
have ymodem?  If so could you send a copy to me?

Rob Beckham (ihnp4!killer!tristan)

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (07/05/87)

In article <1092@killer.UUCP> tristan@killer.UUCP (Rob Beckham) writes:
>I am looking for ymodem to run under Sys5.

	Chuck Forsberg wrote ymodem, and is also the author of the
unix programs, rb and sb.  These implement the batch ymodem
protocol, and work just fine with such IBM PC programs as Procomm.
He posts updates to these programs all the time in the unix sources
groups.  I would be happy to mail you the shar file of the latest.
	BTW, the reason for this post, rather than mail reply, is my 9.4
RR doesn't have ymodem capability.  Is there a newer version?
The mythical 10.?

--
that's the biz, sweetheart.....
Randy Suess

gary@rencon.UUCP (Gary Falsken) (07/06/87)

In article <1092@killer.UUCP> tristan@killer.UUCP (Rob Beckham) writes:
>I am looking for ymodem to run under Sys5.  Red Ryder for the Macintosh has
>ymodem and allows you to batch upload and download with it.  Does any one
>have ymodem?  If so could you send a copy to me?

I would like a copy too. As well as a program called zmodem.

--
Gary Falsken
Renaissance Consulting

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (05/07/91)

I'm implementing the Ymodem protocol in my communications program and I'm
puzzled by several things in the specification (from a company called Omen
Technology).

It's not explained in the text, but two of the example Ymodem-batch exchanges
have the receiver NAKing the first EOT from the sender and Acking the second,
followed by the 'C' starting character for the next file.  Why is this
seemingly convoluted exchange necessary?  Do the examples assume the first
EOT did not arrive successfully?

Is there a better Ymodem specification available?  The Omen Tech. spec. has
holes and ommissions big enough to drive a truck through.  I need something
more rigorous.

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway

shihsun@der.Princeton.EDU (Shih-ping S Sun) (05/08/91)

In article <4875@gumby.Altos.COM> jerry@altos.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) writes:
>I'm implementing the Ymodem protocol in my communications program and I'm
>puzzled by several things in the specification (from a company called Omen
>Technology).
>[some stuff taken out]
>Is there a better Ymodem specification available?  The Omen Tech. spec. has
>holes and ommissions big enough to drive a truck through.  I need something
>more rigorous.

Well... if you are developing this on a PC, you could just do a system
call and run DSZ in Ymodem mode... this would probably be the easiest
way to do this.  A further advantage would be that users of your term
program would be able to upgrade to the latest version of DSZ whenever
one comes out, which seems to be about every 4 months.

>Help stamp out vi in our lifetime.                      (408) 432-6200

hey, I like the vi editor! <grin>

S. Spencer Sun - P.U. '94 - #1 @6909 WWIVnet - 609/258/8877

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (05/09/91)

In article <9227@idunno.Princeton.EDU> shihsun@der.Princeton.EDU (Shih-ping S Sun) writes:
|In article <4875@gumby.Altos.COM> jerry@altos.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) writes:
|>Is there a better Ymodem specification available?  The Omen Tech. spec. has
|>holes and ommissions big enough to drive a truck through.  I need something
|>more rigorous.

>Well... if you are developing this on a PC, you could just do a system
>call and run DSZ in Ymodem mode... this would probably be the easiest
>way to do this.  A further advantage would be that users of your term
>program would be able to upgrade to the latest version of DSZ whenever
>one comes out, which seems to be about every 4 months.

Why should I need to do this?  I can just as easily support the protocols
I need internally.  Since I'm the only user of my term program, I don't
have problems with upgrades.

The biggest problem with DSZ is that I don't have any control over it.  With
my own code, I do.  If it doesn't work right, I fix it.