[comp.dcom.modems] 38.4 kbps for $169!?

swansonc@grendel2.acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson) (05/07/91)

Greetings,

	I just received my May _Data Communications_ today, and paging
throught the "New Products/WAN" and on page 139 I saw a short blurb
for CompuCorp's (anybody ever heard of them?) "SpeedModem."  According
to the report, it uses proprietary error correction, compression, and
line conditioning algorithmns above 2.4 kbps.  Below 2.4, it supports
CCITT V22, V22.bis, and V21.  Anything above that, and you need to
have a "SpeedModem" hanging off either side of the line.  The product
is listed as available now with a 1 unit price of $169 for an ISA (PC)
internal card.

	Interested, I called them up [(408)-732-4500] and got the
following information.

	o Uses a 9.6 kbps data pump (proprietary, *not* V32)

	o The compression algorithmns are software and run on the PC's
	  not in the modem's firmware (the 9.6 base rate pump is in
	  firmware, however).

	o Only the internal card version is currently available.  An
	  external model is in the works, but will not be available
 	  until early 3Q91.  No ideas on price or location of
	  compression software/firmware.

	o Currently backordered.

	o Uses the AT command set.

	Has anybody worked with this modem?  While it is proprietary,
it would be a cheap way to get some descent SLIP/PPP performance (if
the throughput is as good as they say).  Since the PPP/SLIP connection
is ususally between two fixed sites, proprietary modems, while not the
best, would be ok (so long as they don't go south a month after the
company does :) and considering the price ....

	Regards,
	-Chris

--
Chris Swanson, Chem/CS/Pre-med Undergrad, St. Olaf College, Northfield,MN 55057
 DDN: (CDS6)   INTERNET:  swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu  UUCP: uunet!stolaf!swansonc

shihsun@der.Princeton.EDU (Shih-ping S Sun) (05/08/91)

In article <SWANSONC.91May6234421@grendel2.acc.stolaf.edu> swansonc@grendel2.acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson) writes:

>Greetings,
>
>	I just received my May _Data Communications_ today, and paging
>throught the "New Products/WAN" and on page 139 I saw a short blurb
>for CompuCorp's (anybody ever heard of them?) "SpeedModem."  According
>...  The product
>is listed as available now with a 1 unit price of $169 for an ISA (PC)
>internal card.

from what I undersatnd the $169 figure is only for sysops.  NOt sure
what the "end user" price is.

>	Has anybody worked with this modem?  While it is proprietary,

They have a decent population in the WWIVnet - a really rough estimate
would be that about 10-20% of the high speed modems in WWIVnet are
CompuComs, with the remainder being USR HST's and DS's (a few V.32's
floating around).  Reaction so far has been pretty good.

S. Spencer Sun - P.U. '94 - #1 @6909 WWIVnet - 609/258/8877

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (05/08/91)

In a letter to All, Chris Swanson (swansonc@grendel2.acc.stolaf.edu ) wrote:

re: CompuCom SpeedModem

 >Has anybody worked with this modem?  While it is proprietary,
 >it would be a cheap way to get some descent SLIP/PPP performance (if
 >the throughput is as good as they say).

   The device is either half duplex or asymmetrical, and the benchmarks given
are unidirectional (as well as cooked, as are all good advertising
'facts'[*]); you'll probably get much better SL/IP or PPP performance with a
full duplex modem *like V.32 or V.32bis).

[*] NOTE: Every manufacturer who puts data compression on their modems and
allows the host computer to talk to the modem at an RS-232 async speed higher
than the physical link rate loves to claim that the modem is 'capable' of the
highest link rate.  That means precisely diddley/sqat in terms of what the
modem will do for you!  Today for the fun of it I fed a specially prepared
file through a 2400 bps V.42bis-equipped modem and achieved a throughput in
the vicinity of 950 CPS... on a 2400!  Of course, the onlookers were
disappointed when they saw that the file was completely useless, but the
point is that such an experiement could well be used to justify the claim
that 4:1 data compression is possible... that doesn't avoid the fact that you
shouldn't count on more than 2:1 compression on text and that compressed data
will receive about 25% boost from asynchronous framing (the stripping of
start & stop bits), and that's about it.  When transferring compressed files
using the SpeedModem, you should count on throughputs in the vicinity of 1160
CPS (just like V.32, and 2/3rds of V.32bis)... *not* 3840!

--
Geoffrey Welsh - Operator, Izot's Swamp BBS (FidoNet 1:221/171)
root@zswamp.uucp or ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (05/08/91)

In article <SWANSONC.91May6234421@grendel2.acc.stolaf.edu>
swansonc@grendel2.acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson) writes:
> [Edited out]
> 	o Uses a 9.6 kbps data pump (proprietary, *not* V32)
>
> 	o The compression algorithmns are software and run on the PC's
> 	  not in the modem's firmware (the 9.6 base rate pump is in
> 	  firmware, however).
> [Edited out]
> 	Has anybody worked with this modem?  While it is proprietary,
> it would be a cheap way to get some descent SLIP/PPP performance (if
> the throughput is as good as they say).  Since the PPP/SLIP connection
> is ususally between two fixed sites, proprietary modems, while not the
> best, would be ok (so long as they don't go south a month after the
> company does :) and considering the price ....

  If the compression algorith is in software, you might have a teensy problem
getting it to run with your SLIP/PPP driver. Some of the modems with software
compression require you to run *their* telecommunications application. If the
emulation is in a loadable driver, though, you might have a fighting chance.
   In the end, you get what you pay for.

    - Jiro Nakamura
      jiro@shaman.com
--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 253-0687 VOICE

rdippold@maui.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (05/10/91)

In article <9228@idunno.Princeton.EDU> shihsun@der.Princeton.EDU (Shih-ping S Sun) writes:
>In article <SWANSONC.91May6234421@grendel2.acc.stolaf.edu> swansonc@grendel2.acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson) writes:
>>	I just received my May _Data Communications_ today, and paging
>>throught the "New Products/WAN" and on page 139 I saw a short blurb
>>for CompuCorp's (anybody ever heard of them?) "SpeedModem."  According
>>...  The product
>>is listed as available now with a 1 unit price of $169 for an ISA (PC)
>>internal card.
>
>from what I undersatnd the $169 figure is only for sysops.  NOt sure
>what the "end user" price is.

Pricing:
  CompuCom 9600 bps modem - $169
  CompuCom 9600 bps modem / 9600 bps Fax - $269
  CompuCom 9600 bps modem / 9600 bps Fax - $169 sysop deal

  Prices may have changed since I last looked...

--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold