[comp.dcom.modems] V.42bis vs. MNP5

drubin@prism.poly.edu (Dave Rubin) (05/08/91)

I am in the process of upgrading our dialup modems, most likely with some
combination of 9600bps and 2400bps modems.  Our telephone switch cannot
handle async speeds over 19.2kbps.  Therefore, the potential 38.4kbps
throughput of V.32/V.42bis modems would probably be wasted.  Is there any
other reason to go with V.42bis on our V.32 modems?

As for 2400bps, for standard dialup applications, is there much to gain by
choosing V.42bis over MNP5?  We plan on setting the DTE rate at a constant
9600bps regardless of the actual speed of the connection.

Finally, does anyone have a recommendation for inexpensive (but reliable)
V.32 and 2400bps modems, preferably rack-mountable, that can be set to a
"manual" mode (where the modem plays dumb and allows our PBX to control it).

Any info would be appreciated...

--
Dave Rubin
Polytechnic University

tnixon@hayes.uucp (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.183758.14662@prism.poly.edu>,
drubin@prism.poly.edu (Dave Rubin) writes:

> I am in the process of upgrading our dialup modems, most likely with some
> combination of 9600bps and 2400bps modems.  Our telephone switch cannot
> handle async speeds over 19.2kbps.  Therefore, the potential 38.4kbps
> throughput of V.32/V.42bis modems would probably be wasted.  Is there any
> other reason to go with V.42bis on our V.32 modems?

Certainly!  If you had no data compression at all, you'd only get
about 1150cps max.  With MNP5 you could approach 1920cps on
highly-compressable files, but are more likely to see in the
neighborhood of 1500-1600 on "typical" text -- and MNP5 will have a
negative impact (less than 1150 cps) on throughput while sending
uncompressible data.  With V.42bis, you'll see the full 1920cps
through much more of the time.  Even though the algorithm is capable
of much more, it's not "wasted" because it does allow you to take
advantage of all the bandwidth you actually have available.  Since
many companies sell V.42bis modems for no more than they sell MNP5,
you might as well get V.42bis.

> As for 2400bps, for standard dialup applications, is there much to gain by
> choosing V.42bis over MNP5?  We plan on setting the DTE rate at a constant
> 9600bps regardless of the actual speed of the connection.

Absolutely.  Again, MNP5 gets about 2-to-1 (480cps) on highly
compressable data, but more like about 350-400 on "typical" data.
V.42bis will typically do at least 50% better (600-700cps on
"typical" data) and 900cps+ on well-compressible data.  I can
definitely perceive the difference between V.42bis and MNP5 on the
same data.

> Finally, does anyone have a recommendation for inexpensive (but reliable)
> V.32 and 2400bps modems, preferably rack-mountable, that can be set to a
> "manual" mode (where the modem plays dumb and allows our PBX to control it).

Since I work for a modem manufacturer, I'll let other folks make the
recommendations.  :-)  However, I will point out that FEW of the
V.32 multimode modems with V.42bis on the market today support
MI/MIC operation (which is what you want); the Hayes Ultra 96 is oen
that does.  Perhaps some users of other modems can check their spec
sheets and see if they support MI/MIC.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (05/08/91)

In a letter to All, Dave Rubin (drubin@prism.poly.edu ) wrote:

 >I am in the process of upgrading our dialup modems, most
 >likely with some combination of 9600bps and 2400bps modems.
 >Our telephone switch cannot handle async speeds over 19.2kbps.

   I'm not sure that this has any effect on the choice of modems, unless the
modems will be used to transmit data generated by the telephone switch itself,
which is unusual or possible.

   If the telephone switch is just a PBX and the modem's serial port is being
plugged into another computer, then this isn't an issue at all.

   If the switch is digital and has a low sampling rate, you may have a
problem with higher speed modems; only experimentation (or the voice of
experience) will be able to tell what the maximum reliable speed will be.

   In any case, the maximum physical bit rate of V.32 modems is 9600, and of
V.32bis modems it's 14400.  V.42bis doesn't increase the speed at which the
two modems communicate with each other, and its presence or absence should
have no effect on whether a line will support a certain speed.

 >Therefore, the potential 38.4kbps throughput of V.32/V.42bis
 >modems would probably be wasted.

   Keep in mind that this "potential" is the result of data compression, which
does not in any way affect the rate the real data bits are passed through the
phone line!

--
Geoffrey Welsh - Operator, Izot's Swamp BBS (FidoNet 1:221/171)
root@zswamp.uucp or ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root

drubin@prism.poly.edu (Dave Rubin) (05/10/91)

>>I am in the process of upgrading our dialup modems, most
>>likely with some combination of 9600bps and 2400bps modems.
>>Our telephone switch cannot handle async speeds over 19.2kbps.
>
>   I'm not sure that this has any effect on the choice of modems, unless the
>modems will be used to transmit data generated by the telephone switch itself,
>which is unusual or possible.
>
>   If the telephone switch is just a PBX and the modem's serial port is being
>plugged into another computer, then this isn't an issue at all.
>
>   If the switch is digital and has a low sampling rate, you may have a
>problem with higher speed modems; only experimentation (or the voice of
>experience) will be able to tell what the maximum reliable speed will be.
Well, I guess I should elaborate.  Our telephone switch (Intecom IBX) is
digital, and supports async data on an RS-232 box attached to the telephone.
The modems are used in a pool, and are allocated by the switch as needed,
only for outside calls.  Data transmission within the PBX is entirely digital.
Modems are not attached directly to the telephone, in fact, this is impossible
since the phones are digital.  Therefore it is up to the PBX to transmit
data between the modems and the async devices attached to a user's computer,
and this is limited to 19.2k.

>In any case, the maximum physical bit rate of V.32 modems is 9600, and of
>V.32bis modems it's 14400.  V.42bis doesn't increase the speed at which the
>two modems communicate with each other, and its presence or absence should
>have no effect on whether a line will support a certain speed.
The speed limitation I refer to is on the DTE side, not the analog side.
Since V.32/V.42bis could potentially achieve 4:1 compression, I would assume
that to make full use of this potential the DTE would need to be set to
38.4k, which is not possible on our PBX.

>>Therefore, the potential 38.4kbps throughput of V.32/V.42bis
>>modems would probably be wasted.

>   Keep in mind that this "potential" is the result of data compression, which
>does not in any way affect the rate the real data bits are passed through the
>phone line!
But it does affect the speed that the DTE port needs to run at, correct?

I am pretty new to these new standards, so please let me know if I
am missing something.

--
Dave Rubin
Polytechnic University

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (05/11/91)

   Now that you've described your needs in greater detail, I think I can
provide some useful input.

   Even if your async speed is limited to 19.2kbps, it may pay you to invest
in the fastest modems you can get a hold of.  Data comression is a big
advertising feature these days, but its effectiveness varies from the claimed
4:1 potential right down to zilch... a V.32bis modem, operating at 14.4kbps
physical port speed, won't exceed a throughput of 1800 CPS on compressed
data, with or without V.42bis data compression.

   If you *need* the maximum throughput possible, buy the fastest dialup
modems out there (v.32bis).  You could argue that you could save a few bucks
by sticking with V.32 and going that bit slower, or relying on data
comrpression (if you *know* that your transferred data will all be text), but
it's best to know for sure that you won't kick yourself in the future for
making the wrong decision.