[comp.dcom.modems] FAX/MODEM... why not?

What I don't understand about all these cheap FAXes is why nobody has put
a $5 serial port in one and sold it as a combination FAX/MODEM/SCANNER/
PRINTER? It's got all the parts, and the software on the computer side
couldn't be that big a deal. It'd be a killer product: you could sell it
for well under $1000 and make a bundle. I could see Brother or one of those
companies that sells weird almost-computers doing this. have they just
never thought of it?
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"

roger@wet.UUCP (Roger Niclas) (05/13/91)

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> What I don't understand about all these cheap FAXes is why nobody has put
> a $5 serial port in one and sold it as a combination FAX/MODEM/SCANNER/
> PRINTER? It's got all the parts, and the software on the computer side
> couldn't be that big a deal. It'd be a killer product: you could sell it

Maybe because it'd be a third-rate printer, a crummy scanner, and an
incompatible modem?  It would, however, be a good fax, maybe even a fair
telephone.

And it wouldn't even require the use of a precious serial port on the
computer side

*  Email: roger@wet.UUCP    |                                                  *
*    alt: rogerd@well       |  witty remark designed to exhibit intellect goes *
* CompuServe: 72730,1010    |                    here                          *