[comp.dcom.modems] T1000

barton@holston.UUCP (barton) (07/06/89)

I'm considering adding the T1000 to our system and have a couple
of questions.

1. Is there a special program needed to dial the T1000, I've heard
reference to the dialTBIT program. Do I need this? Where do I get
it?

2. Since the T1000 is neither V.32 nor MNP supportive, should we
get the T2500 instead? Will we be left in the cold when a pre-
dominate 9600b standard emerges?

Any suggestions appreciated: Configuration: AT compatable running
SCO Xenix 2.2.1.

--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell,vector}!warble!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | DOMAIN: barton@holston

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (07/07/89)

barton@holston.UUCP (barton) writes:

>I'm considering adding the T1000 to our system and have a couple
>of questions.

>1. Is there a special program needed to dial the T1000, I've heard
>reference to the dialTBIT program. Do I need this? Where do I get
>it?

Yes.  Call SCO and ask for the Telebit diskette.  Then you will have
to reconfigure UUCP to call the dialTBIT program instead of the normal
dialer.

>2. Since the T1000 is neither V.32 nor MNP supportive, should we
>get the T2500 instead? Will we be left in the cold when a pre-
>dominate 9600b standard emerges?

You will have to consider what you want to do.  V.32 and MNP are not any
faster then the T-1000.  If all you want to do is to connect with other
sites that also have Telebits then go with the T-1000.  If you are going
to be a dial-in site for many different systems, some of which will have
MNP or V.32, then go with the T-2500.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

gaf@uucs1.UUCP (gaf) (07/08/89)

In article <665@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:

>                                                        If you are going
>to be a dial-in site for many different systems, some of which will have
>MNP or V.32, then go with the T-2500.

My T1000 book says it supports MNP classes 1 - 4 in "slow" (non-PEP) mode.
It's in a register which can only be gotten at in "enhanced" (over and above
Hayes) command mode (by putting a tilde between the AT and your command).
--
Guy Finney					It's that feeling of deja-vu
UUCS inc.   Phoenix, Az				all over again.

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (04/28/91)

tech@mich-ns.Michigan.COM (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT) writes:

>"My question to the net is, what are the best modems around for the buck?
>"Are we leaning in the right direction if we go with the T2500?

>The T1000 is a good choice. All of Telebit's modems can handle the
>standard 300/1200/2400bps protocols, so that takes care of your low
>speed stuff. It does PEP at 9600bps, so you'll be able to talk to your
>feed site as well. At $499 each for 20+ units, its a nice modem.

T1000?  Maybe for newsfeeds - but not for on-line usage.  V.32bis
is the best (and fastest) available - and the price is right in there
with the $499 - except you'll get a DUPLEX modem at speeds up there
around 1700 cps (with v.42bis)..

Check into the USR v.32bis modems --

much faster throughput than the T1000, excellent support and state
of the art..

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr27.233044.22434@nstar.rn.com>, larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
> T1000?  Maybe for newsfeeds - but not for on-line usage.

What's the application? If it's online stuff, you might well be wasting your
money going over 2400 baud. If it's file transfers, I'd go with the TB (UUCP
isn't the only protocol it spoofs). And if you have any question about the
quality of the line, give the TB a try. It's much more reliable than any modem,
at any speed, MNP included.

It does have a problem with some echo cancellers, and it's a pain if you
need to get to London (for some reason, it's a black hole for PEP).
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (04/30/91)

In <QW+ATBE@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) writes:

>In article <1991Apr27.233044.22434@nstar.rn.com>, larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>> T1000?  Maybe for newsfeeds - but not for on-line usage.

>What's the application? If it's online stuff, you might well be wasting your
>money going over 2400 baud. If it's file transfers, I'd go with the TB (UUCP
>isn't the only protocol it spoofs). And if you have any question about the
>quality of the line, give the TB a try. It's much more reliable than any modem,
>at any speed, MNP included.

Why do you say over 2400 is a waste for on-line.  Here, where you will
be waiting on screens to display is where I feel it makes the most
difference.  It certainly is nice to reduce your LD bills with a high
speed modem for file transfers, but with the cost of 9600 bps modems
nowadays why buy anything else?
Charles "Chip" Yamasaki
chip@oshcomm.osha.gov

In article <1991Apr30.011012.12093@osh3.OSHA.GOV> chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
> Why do you say over 2400 is a waste for on-line.  Here, where you will
> be waiting on screens to display is where I feel it makes the most
> difference.

Sounds like a user-interface problem to me.

> It certainly is nice to reduce your LD bills with a high
> speed modem for file transfers, but with the cost of 9600 bps modems
> nowadays why buy anything else?

Because you can get 18000 real bps over a good line with a TB+? Because
you need to buy X00 modems and your budget is $X0,000? Because you have
to make a choice between a 9600 baud modem and paying rent? Because the
guy at the other end doesn't have one? Because you're talking UUCP or
Kermit over the modem? Lots of good reasons.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

tim@dal.fsd.mot.com (Tim Dawson) (04/30/91)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>tech@mich-ns.Michigan.COM (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT) writes:

>>"My question to the net is, what are the best modems around for the buck?
>>"Are we leaning in the right direction if we go with the T2500?

>>The T1000 is a good choice. All of Telebit's modems can handle the
>>standard 300/1200/2400bps protocols, so that takes care of your low

>T1000?  Maybe for newsfeeds - but not for on-line usage.  V.32bis
>is the best (and fastest) available - and the price is right in there
>with the $499 - except you'll get a DUPLEX modem at speeds up there
>around 1700 cps (with v.42bis)..

I guess this could all revolve around phone line quality and what you
expect on interactive dialups.  I routinely use my T1000 interactively into
a bank of rackmount T2500's and have absolutely not gripes whatsoever as
to throughput.  No, it isn't true 9600, but I can't read that fast anyway
so BFD!  On news feeds with UUCP the T1000 will hands down blow away ANY
V.32 I have ever seen, and this statement is made after one modem vendor
spent 3 weeks trying to get V.32 to even come close and gave up! This entailed
new firmware, setup changes, line testing etc.  We also evaluated 3 other
vendors and found no significant differences.

The other problem I have with V.32 (and why I refuse to use it unless there
is absolutely no other alternative) is that I have been unable to get
them to hold connections for more than about 10 minutes on some of the long
distance connections that I routinely make, and V.32 won't talk all of 100
feet through my PBX (Rolm), so if I want to use V.32 I gotta get special
phone lines to boot.  Telebits - no problem, tastes great, less filling!

The bottom line here (to summarize my ramblings) is simple:

V.32 works great under "ideal conditions", but stinks in my version of
"reality".

I have never seen PEP fail to anywhere under any conditions if the phone co
can connect 'em.  It may train down slower that full speed, but it WILL
get you there!

What I recommend?  The Telebit T2500 defaulting to PEP.  This way the folks who
call in wanting V.32 connections can get 'em, news and mail travel PEP to
minimize phone charges, and outward V.32 connections can be configured for
sites that won't talk to anything else.  Regarding the T1000, I think it is
an excellent product and personally own one.  I find the interactive throughput
on my T1000 to actually be faster than on the TB+ ot T2500.
Tim Dawson (tim@dal.fsd.mot.com)  Unix Systems and Networking Administrator
Motorola Computer Systems - MIS                     Bellnet: (214)-888-2231
1701 Valley View Lane, Farmers Branch TX. 75234

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/01/91)

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:

>In <QW+ATBE@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) writes:

>>In article <1991Apr27.233044.22434@nstar.rn.com>, larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>> T1000?  Maybe for newsfeeds - but not for on-line usage.

>>What's the application? If it's online stuff, you might well be wasting your
>>money going over 2400 baud. If it's file transfers, I'd go with the TB (UUCP
>>isn't the only protocol it spoofs). And if you have any question about the
>>quality of the line, give the TB a try. It's much more reliable than any modem,
>>at any speed, MNP included.

>Why do you say over 2400 is a waste for on-line.  Here, where you will
>be waiting on screens to display is where I feel it makes the most
>difference.  It certainly is nice to reduce your LD bills with a high
>speed modem for file transfers, but with the cost of 9600 bps modems
>nowadays why buy anything else?

I think the author was making mention that the T1000 for online
use isn't much better than a 2400 baud modem - which is about the
truth.  For on-line, V.32bis is the latest standard, and Telebit
hasn't even jumped on the v.32bis bandwagon as of yet.

--

tim@dal.fsd.mot.com (Tim Dawson) writes:

>larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>>tech@mich-ns.Michigan.COM (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT) writes:

>I guess this could all revolve around phone line quality and what you
>expect on interactive dialups.  I routinely use my T1000 interactively into
>a bank of rackmount T2500's and have absolutely not gripes whatsoever as
>to throughput.  No, it isn't true 9600, but I can't read that fast anyway
>so BFD!  On news feeds with UUCP the T1000 will hands down blow away ANY
>V.32 I have ever seen, and this statement is made after one modem vendor

ahh - not v.32bis - no way.  v.32bis will blow the socks of a
T1000 plus v.32bis is much better for interactive applications (like
running X over a slip connection).  Try running a T1000 over a SLIP
connection - a 2400 baud modem will work just as good as the T1000.

>spent 3 weeks trying to get V.32 to even come close and gave up! This entailed
>new firmware, setup changes, line testing etc.  We also evaluated 3 other
>vendors and found no significant differences.

I don't know what you get with the T1000 doing uucp, but we are getting
around 1050 cps doing uucp for v.32, and around 1650 doing v.32bis ---

Of course the T2000 runs around 1420 cps -- my understanding the T1000 will
do around 850 at best - in which case a v.32bis is a much better selection.

>The other problem I have with V.32 (and why I refuse to use it unless there
>is absolutely no other alternative) is that I have been unable to get
>them to hold connections for more than about 10 minutes on some of the long
>distance connections that I routinely make, and V.32 won't talk all of 100
>feet through my PBX (Rolm), so if I want to use V.32 I gotta get special
>phone lines to boot.  Telebits - no problem, tastes great, less filling!

we are now feeding several sites via both v.32 and v.32bis without problems -
all of which are long distance...  Maybe you are using poor quality v.32
modems?  With the US Robotics v.32bis modems - we haven't a problem...

>V.32 works great under "ideal conditions", but stinks in my version of
>"reality".

maybe with some vendor's modems - but not with the USR modems

--

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (05/01/91)

In <.O.AKP9@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>In article <1991Apr30.011012.12093@osh3.OSHA.GOV> chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
>> Why do you say over 2400 is a waste for on-line.  Here, where you will
>> be waiting on screens to display is where I feel it makes the most
>> difference.

>Sounds like a user-interface problem to me.

Well, while reading this news I had to wait for the screen to fill.
This is not a user interface problem.  There was just a screen full of
data (your message) to display.  What can a program do about that?

>> It certainly is nice to reduce your LD bills with a high
>> speed modem for file transfers, but with the cost of 9600 bps modems
>> nowadays why buy anything else?

>Because you can get 18000 real bps over a good line with a TB+? Because
>you need to buy X00 modems and your budget is $X0,000? Because you have
>to make a choice between a 9600 baud modem and paying rent? Because the
>guy at the other end doesn't have one? Because you're talking UUCP or
>Kermit over the modem? Lots of good reasons.

Well, I was not disputing the value of a TB+.  After all, I'm using a
T2500 right now.  I was disputing the statement that, if the use was
interactive that "a 2400 bps modem was good enough".  Why buy a 2400
nowadays was my statement.

As far as 18000 real bps, I still have yet to see it.  I haven't even
gotten close yet.

As for budget and paying rent, that's another good reason not to buy a
2400 bps modem.

Where "the guy at the other end not having one" is concerned, that's a
good reason to stick with the V.32 and V.42 (bis) modems (I know,
Telebits have this).  I find that PEP is not everywhere.  This also goes
for the protocol spoofing.  I've never found that to be a VERY
compelling performance boost either.  Good, but not great.

Are you actually advocating the purchase of a 2400 bps?  Or are we in
agreement?
Charles "Chip" Yamasaki
chip@oshcomm.osha.gov

dms@tiger.ai.mit.edu (David M. Siegel) (05/01/91)

I too uses Telebits.  One problem with PEP, though, is that it doesn't
work very well with SLIP or PPP.  For those applications, V.32 is a
better protocol to use.

-Dave

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) (05/01/91)

In article <1991May01.024430.17081@osh3.OSHA.GOV>, chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
> Well, while reading this news I had to wait for the screen to fill.
> This is not a user interface problem.  There was just a screen full of
> data (your message) to display.  What can a program do about that?

2400 baud is faster than I can read, and probably faster than you can read
too unless you're some kind of prodigy. If the user interface does not clear
the screen, but instead scrolls text on from the bottom, then you will
find occasional pauses quite necessary at any speed over about 300 baud.

> As for budget and paying rent, that's another good reason not to buy a
> 2400 bps modem.

At $75 per, it's 1/10th the cost of a 9600 baud modem and within the range
of disposable income for a lot of people. See the parallel discussion in
comp.misc about throwing out old terminals.

For that matter I make quite a bit, but there is no way I could justify
a 9600 baud modem for interactive use.

> Where "the guy at the other end not having one" is concerned, that's a
> good reason to stick with the V.32 and V.42 (bis) modems (I know,
> Telebits have this).

That depends on whether the guy at the other end is a BBS or a UNIX box. For
UNIX systems, Telebits *are* everywhere.

> Are you actually advocating the purchase of a 2400 bps?

For what? Under what circumstances? For most cases where you're doing
interactive stuff (and not via PC-remote or PPP, OK?) I would say yes.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (05/02/91)

   Besides, with the exponentially increasing size of the typical download
file, BBS users (and comp.binaries.* readers!) will have good reason to prefer
9600 bps modems.

   OK, so they're not a household item yet... but for real enthusiasts, they
definitely belong on the list of things to be considered.

--
UUCP:     watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root | 602-66 Mooregate Crescent
Internet: root@zswamp.uucp            | Kitchener, Ontario
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be
failing long after you and I have discovered new worlds. -- me

tech@mich-ns.Michigan.COM (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May01.020407.1289@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
"
"I think the author was making mention that the T1000 for online
"use isn't much better than a 2400 baud modem - which is about the
"truth.  For on-line, V.32bis is the latest standard, and Telebit
"hasn't even jumped on the v.32bis bandwagon as of yet.
"
"--
No it isn't the truth. I regularily get 720cps+ using a T1000 to connect
to a XENIX box in Ohio (NCOAST). This is a terminal session, not a UUCP
session. There is a *HECK* of a lot of difference!!

I'm sitting back here thinking of my days at Wayne State University here
in Detroit when we all lined up for access to terminals hardwired to
the Merit Network. They ran at 9600 bps, required a $4000 SCP and a
leased line that cost $$$/month. Now, with a T1000 (or TB+/T2500,etc)
I can call the same network  for 8.2c/call regardless of time online.

There is distance of only 4 years between these events. Amazing.

--
Michigan Network Systems                         Technical Support Division
1-800-736-5984   BBS: +1 313 343 0800     E-MAIL: tech@mich-ns.Michigan.COM

In article <1991May01.021126.1382@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
"
"ahh - not v.32bis - no way.  v.32bis will blow the socks of a
"T1000 plus v.32bis is much better for interactive applications (like
"running X over a slip connection).  Try running a T1000 over a SLIP
"connection - a 2400 baud modem will work just as good as the T1000.
"

Of course, but most V.32bis modems cost more than the T1000. As for SLIP,
A V.32 with V.42/V.42bis works better. PSINet uses such beasties for their
access and they seem to be happy with the outcome.

"I don't know what you get with the T1000 doing uucp, but we are getting
"around 1050 cps doing uucp for v.32, and around 1650 doing v.32bis ---
"
With or without V.42bis?? Also, is the data compressed already or not.
PEP (19.2) will many times do better than V.32 with V.42bis because,
although V.42bis can get you up to 4:1 compression (ie: 38,400), most
news is already compressed. If you're gonna send stuff uncompressed,
then V.32/V.42bis will usually outdo PEP.

"Of course the T2000 runs around 1420 cps -- my understanding the T1000 will
"do around 850 at best - in which case a v.32bis is a much better selection.
"

You mean the T2500, don't you? (The T2000 is no longer made. Its an SDLC
modem). RE: Speeds: All depends on the phone line quality. Remember, PEP
has the ability to dynamically upshift/downshift. So does V.32bis.

"we are now feeding several sites via both v.32 and v.32bis without problems -
"all of which are long distance...  Maybe you are using poor quality v.32
"modems?  With the US Robotics v.32bis modems - we haven't a problem...
"

There were some problems with echo-cancellation and V.32. Problem is
the quality of your V.32 implimentation.

--

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/02/91)

tech@mich-ns.Michigan.COM (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT) writes:

>"Of course the T2000 runs around 1420 cps -- my understanding the T1000 will
>"do around 850 at best - in which case a v.32bis is a much better selection.
>"

>You mean the T2500, don't you? (The T2000 is no longer made. Its an SDLC
>modem). RE: Speeds: All depends on the phone line quality. Remember, PEP
>has the ability to dynamically upshift/downshift. So does V.32bis.

we have T2000 and Telebit Trailblazers here - which are about the same (except
SDLC is an option for the T2000).

>"we are now feeding several sites via both v.32 and v.32bis without problems -
>"all of which are long distance...  Maybe you are using poor quality v.32
>"modems?  With the US Robotics v.32bis modems - we haven't a problem...

>There were some problems with echo-cancellation and V.32. Problem is
>the quality of your V.32 implimentation.

v.32bis modems can be had for around $600 - and look for the prices to
come down within the next couple of months.  Anyone looking into v.32
should wait and get 50% greater throughput with v.32bis (if they can wait)

--

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (05/02/91)

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) writes:

> 2400 baud is faster than I can read, and probably faster than you can read
> too unless you're some kind of prodigy.

I disagree.  Humans can read well in excess of V.32bis speeds  -- what
do you think speed reading is?   The problem is that if the text is
being displayed at 2400 or below, it makes it very difficult to make
use of speed reading techniques, which require looking at blocks of text,
rather than reading one word at a time.

If the text is trickling through at 2400 or below, the text blocks are
continually changing in shape, so most brains will switch from block mode
to serial mode reading, which is *much* slower.

Roll on ethernet speed dialups, I say :-)
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

pete@Octopus.COM (Pete Holzmann) (05/03/91)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>tech@mich-ns.Michigan.COM (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT) writes:
>
>>"all of which are long distance...  Maybe you are using poor quality v.32
>>"modems?  With the US Robotics v.32bis modems - we haven't a problem...
>
>>There were some problems with echo-cancellation and V.32. Problem is
>>the quality of your V.32 implimentation.
>
>v.32bis modems can be had for around $600 - and look for the prices to
>come down within the next couple of months.  Anyone looking into v.32
>should wait and get 50% greater throughput with v.32bis (if they can wait)

Anyone who has to deal with truly *poor quality* telephone lines (i.e.
international lines, esp. with multiple satellite hops, etc.) should be
very careful before buying a V.32/V.32bis solution. We're getting ready
to publish the results of real world experiments comparing PEP, V.32 and
V.32bis in true bad-line circumstances. Looks like PEP still wins (and
I was hoping V.32bis would!) I don't have numbers or details available
now, so I'm not particularly able to defend this statement. I hope to
be able to say more within a month.

Pete
--
Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises   |(if you're a techie Christian & are
19611 La Mar Ct., Cupertino, CA 95014 |interested in helping w/ the Great

ken@sugra.uucp (Kenneth Ng) (05/03/91)

In article <DL=ASHH@xds13.ferranti.com>, peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) writes:
: In article <1991May01.024430.17081@osh3.OSHA.GOV>, chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
: > Well, while reading this news I had to wait for the screen to fill.
: > This is not a user interface problem.  There was just a screen full of
: > data (your message) to display.  What can a program do about that?
: 2400 baud is faster than I can read, and probably faster than you can read
: too unless you're some kind of prodigy.

I spell check at 4800 baud, read at 9600, and scan faster than 19.2K.  I
do not think I am all that special, I just practice going faster and faster.
The brain is able to adapt to most speeds.

The worst case was something I heard from a school system administrator
back about 1981: "Why would anyone want to go faster than 300 baud?  No
one in the world can read that fast".

--
Kenneth Ng
Please reply to ken@hertz.njit.edu until this machine properly recieves mail.

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.134341.11341@robobar.co.uk>, ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) writes:
> > 2400 baud is faster than I can read, and probably faster than you can read
> > too unless you're some kind of prodigy.

> I disagree.  Humans can read well in excess of V.32bis speeds  -- what
> do you think speed reading is?

A trick for skimming material, making use of redundancy in English.

OK, if you're a speed-reader a 9600 baud modem might be useful. But how
many people like that are there?

And given that we're talking about computer text in the first place,
perhaps some preprocessing could remove some of that redundancy? I know
there are programs that remove noise words simplify spllng rmvng vwls
ft mr txt scrn. Prhps cld b spd rdng 90s.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

tech@mich-ns.Michigan.COM (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May2.215929.19449@Octopus.COM> pete@octopus.COM (Pete Holzmann) writes:
"
"Anyone who has to deal with truly *poor quality* telephone lines (i.e.
"international lines, esp. with multiple satellite hops, etc.) should be
"very careful before buying a V.32/V.32bis solution. We're getting ready
"to publish the results of real world experiments comparing PEP, V.32 and
"V.32bis in true bad-line circumstances. Looks like PEP still wins (and
"I was hoping V.32bis would!) I don't have numbers or details available
"now, so I'm not particularly able to defend this statement. I hope to
"be able to say more within a month.
"
"Pete
"
Wait until the "new PEP" comes out. Rumors are that it will be ~28kbps
BEFORE compression.

--

tony@jassys.UUCP (Tony Holden) (05/05/91)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

> I don't know what you get with the T1000 doing uucp, but we are getting
> around 1050 cps doing uucp for v.32

1050cps!!  ACK!  I'm only getting ~870.  Come on, how are you getting
rates that are that high?  Before v.32 I was getting 218cps on a 2400b
modem.  By increasing the baud rate by 4 I get 872cps.

What gives?

Speaking of v.32 and the biz modes...  I've tried v.42biz and didn't
get anything worth talking about.  Is v.42biz any good for uucp?

--
Tony Holden					live on the edge,
tony@jassys					  Bank in Texas

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (05/06/91)

In a letter to All, Tony Holden (tony@jassys.UUCP ) wrote:

 >1050cps!!  ACK!  I'm only getting ~870.  Come on, how are
 >you getting
 >rates that are that high?  Before v.32 I was getting 218cps
 >on a 2400b
 >modem.  By increasing the baud rate by 4 I get 872cps.

 >What gives?

   Please remember that V.32 with MNP class 4 or LAP-M (V.42) enabled is *not*
operating on a fundamental speed of 9600 bps but rather, thanks to the
stripping of start & stop bits by the protocols, approaching an effective
speed of (9600/8=)1200 CPS (minus some protocol overhead, natch).

 >Speaking of v.32 and the biz modes...  I've tried v.42biz
 >and didn't get anything worth talking about.
 >Is v.42biz any good for uucp?

   V.42bis is *data compression*.  If your data is already compressed (e.g.
compressed newsbatches), you won't benefit from V.42bis.

--
Geoffrey Welsh - Operator, Izot's Swamp BBS (FidoNet 1:221/171)
root@zswamp.uucp or ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root

tim@dal.fsd.mot.com (Tim Dawson) (05/07/91)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>tim@dal.fsd.mot.com (Tim Dawson) writes:

>>larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>>>tech@mich-ns.Michigan.COM (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT) writes:

>>I guess this could all revolve around phone line quality and what you
>>expect on interactive dialups.  I routinely use my T1000 interactively into
>>a bank of rackmount T2500's and have absolutely not gripes whatsoever as
>>to throughput.  No, it isn't true 9600, but I can't read that fast anyway
>>so BFD!  On news feeds with UUCP the T1000 will hands down blow away ANY
>>V.32 I have ever seen, and this statement is made after one modem vendor

>ahh - not v.32bis - no way.  v.32bis will blow the socks of a
>T1000 plus v.32bis is much better for interactive applications (like
>running X over a slip connection).  Try running a T1000 over a SLIP
>connection - a 2400 baud modem will work just as good as the T1000.

>>spent 3 weeks trying to get V.32 to even come close and gave up! This entailed
>>new firmware, setup changes, line testing etc.  We also evaluated 3 other
>>vendors and found no significant differences.

>I don't know what you get with the T1000 doing uucp, but we are getting
>around 1050 cps doing uucp for v.32, and around 1650 doing v.32bis ---

I get around 850 - 900 with the T1000, and more like 1800 with the T2500's
talking to other PEP sites with > T1000 PEP modems.

>Of course the T2000 runs around 1420 cps -- my understanding the T1000 will
>do around 850 at best - in which case a v.32bis is a much better selection.

But can you get V.32bis for $550??????

>>The other problem I have with V.32 (and why I refuse to use it unless there
>>is absolutely no other alternative) is that I have been unable to get
>>them to hold connections for more than about 10 minutes on some of the long
>>distance connections that I routinely make, and V.32 won't talk all of 100
>>feet through my PBX (Rolm), so if I want to use V.32 I gotta get special
>>phone lines to boot.  Telebits - no problem, tastes great, less filling!

>we are now feeding several sites via both v.32 and v.32bis without problems -
>all of which are long distance...  Maybe you are using poor quality v.32
>modems?  With the US Robotics v.32bis modems - we haven't a problem...

>>V.32 works great under "ideal conditions", but stinks in my version of
>>"reality".

>maybe with some vendor's modems - but not with the USR modems

USR
Codex
Telebit's V.32 Implementation in the T2500
UDS

. . . . The all fail.  The problem is simply this:  V.32 knows 9600 and 4800
baud - - - - PERIOD!  If you train down to 4800 and then retrain again and
4800 for some reason is not clean (line hit, etc) V.32 standard says to
DISCONNECT - they are incapable of continuing from this point, and also cannot
train back up to 9600 once fallback has occured.  This is not a problem with
a vendor, this is a problem with a protocol - V.32 does not have the same kine
of robust error recovery and correction as PEP.  Also 9600 -> 4800 is a
pretty huge step to fallback for a line problem when compared to PEP's
100 baud (or so) increments.

Even if throughput on V.32bis is close or even equal to PEP, I still will
opt for PEP.  Why???  As I previously stated, my experience with V.32 is so
bad on holding lines, that I have seen occasions where it took up to 8 HOURS to
transfer a 1 Meg file - not because the connection was slow (stats looked fine,
actually) but the damn V.32 just LOVED to drop the connection at random,
inevitably 80+ percent of the way through the transfer.  I ended up with
about 6 hours worth of phone charges to haul 1 Meg.  UGH!  At least with the
PEP stuff I can be confident that the file will get there the first tim!

braun@dri.com (Kral) (05/07/91)

In article <5@jassys.UUCP> tony@jassys.UUCP (Tony Holden) writes:

>1050cps!!  ACK!  I'm only getting ~870.  Come on, how are you getting
>rates that are that high?  Before v.32 I was getting 218cps on a 2400b
>modem.  By increasing the baud rate by 4 I get 872cps.
>
>What gives?

We've had the same problem here.  I have recently discovered that we seem to
still be talking at 9.6 to the telebit, even though the ttys file entry is set
for 19.2 and we thought we had setup the modem to talk 19.2 out the interface.
But LOGFILE entries show that connections only work if we have both a 19200 and
a 9600 entry in the L.sys file, and if the 9600 entry is second, it only works
on the second try; so I am assuming that it is always failing at 19200, and
thus our throughput is limited by the interface speed (9600).  Once we get a
moment to figure out what's wrong, we should be able to get higher throughputs.

--
kral * 408/647-6112 *               ...!uunet!drivax!braun * braun@dri.com
Whoever is calm and sensible

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (05/07/91)

In article <5@jassys.UUCP> tony@jassys.UUCP (Tony Holden) writes:
> 1050cps!!  ACK!  I'm only getting ~870.  Come on, how are you getting
> rates that are that high?  Before v.32 I was getting 218cps on a 2400b
> modem.  By increasing the baud rate by 4 I get 872cps.
>
> What gives?

   Are you communicating with UUNET? Then maybe it's because UUNET's computers
are terribly bogged down and can't pump 1000+ characters to their modems. :-(
Did you notice a jump of about 100 cps when they upgraded? Now it seems they
have added even more nodes and are even more bogged down. :-( x 3

	- jiro nakamura
   jiro@shaman.com

ps. I don't know about the other providers. Larry says he can keep a high
throughput 'cos he limits the number of nodes he serves. I don't know about
PSI.

pps. Standard disclaimers. I have a UUNET link via a T2500. That's about it.
--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 253-0687 VOICE

shihsun@glasses.Princeton.EDU (Shih-ping S Sun) (05/07/91)

In article <Z81BE53@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) writes:
>> I disagree.  Humans can read well in excess of V.32bis speeds  -- what
>> do you think speed reading is?
>
>A trick for skimming material, making use of redundancy in English.
>
>OK, if you're a speed-reader a 9600 baud modem might be useful. But how
>many people like that are there?

You have to keep in mind also that many people get high speed modems
primarily for transfers (even PD transfers).  Also, they see a lot of
use for network connections (I'm thinking specifically of WWIVnet, of
which I'm a member.  I imagine they get use all over Usenet also)

>there are programs that remove noise words simplify spllng rmvng vwls
>ft mr txt scrn. Prhps cld b spd rdng 90s.

heh, you should read Mark Twain's essay on how we could improve the
English language.  Really funny.

S. Spencer Sun '94

In article <9174@idunno.Princeton.EDU> shihsun@glasses.Princeton.EDU (Shih-ping S Sun) writes:
> You have to keep in mind also that many people get high speed modems
> primarily for transfers (even PD transfers).

I agree. File transfers are a different matter. I'm talking here of buying
modems primarily for interactive use. Unless you're an exceptional individual
or your user interface programs are poorly designed, >2400 doesn't buy enough
to make the O(10x) higher price worthwhile.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/08/91)

but try using PEP for a SLIP connection - it is the pits -

and for interactive use - v.32 is the winner (except for international
connections - in which case I agree the PEP has a higher chance of holding
the connection)

and v.32bis supports fallback and forwarding (at least on the USR
v.32bis modems - the modem will go 14.4-12.0-9.6-4.8 and back as
the line gets better)

--

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:

>   Are you communicating with UUNET? Then maybe it's because UUNET's computers
>are terribly bogged down and can't pump 1000+ characters to their modems. :-(
>Did you notice a jump of about 100 cps when they upgraded? Now it seems they
>have added even more nodes and are even more bogged down. :-( x 3

we (nstar) have picked up several sites that were previously (or still are)
connected with uunet.   throughput with uunet runs around 900-1000 cps
(so we've been told) while throughput here runs as high as 1400 cps
(these are all PEP speeds)..

btw - we just installed another box - and can feed *more* sites!

--

brian@telebit.com (Brian Lloyd) (05/08/91)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>but try using PEP for a SLIP connection - it is the pits -

Actually, PEP works pretty well with SLIP or PPP that supports Van
Jacobson IP/TCP header compression.  The header compression keeps the
length of interactive packets (TELNET, rlogin) below the threshold
where PEP switches to large packets.  This makes interactive activity
quite palatable.  This has turned out to be a boon to people using the
NetBlazer and a PEP modem (TB+, T1000, or T2500) for ad-hoc
international IP connections.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN                              Telebit Corporation
Network Systems Architect                        1315 Chesapeake Terrace

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May3.013332.7385@sugra.uucp> ken@sugra.uucp (Kenneth Ng) writes:
>In article <DL=ASHH@xds13.ferranti.com>, peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) writes:
>: In article <1991May01.024430.17081@osh3.OSHA.GOV>, chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
>: > Well, while reading this news I had to wait for the screen to fill.
>: > This is not a user interface problem.  There was just a screen full of
>: > data (your message) to display.  What can a program do about that?
>: 2400 baud is faster than I can read, and probably faster than you can read
>: too unless you're some kind of prodigy.
>
>I spell check at 4800 baud, read at 9600, and scan faster than 19.2K.  I
>do not think I am all that special, I just practice going faster and faster.
>The brain is able to adapt to most speeds.

I was thinking about this last night, as I was considering that it was taking
me about 4-5 times longer to read messages on a 2400bps MNP 5 connection than
it does when I do it via ethernet at work.  I thought of a couple reasons
why...

  * Quickscan.. I can usually tell immediately after a message starts appearing
    whether or not I'm interested.  On 2400 I have to wait a lot longer to
    junk it.

  * Continuity - I can scan a static screen a lot faster than I can one which
    is moving.

  * Headers - there's about 8+ lines of header information up there that for
    most messages I don't really care about, but which takes up quite a bit of
    time at 2400 bps.

  * .signatures... some scum (usually on the debate bases) have 12-14, even
    full screen sigs!  This is a total waste, as the more extremist they are
    the larger their sigs get, and these are usually the ones you want to
    skip. I don't want to global kill them, because it's very amusing sometimes.
    Anyways, .sigs eat up time.

  * Editing...  if you want to use vi to edit your replies and cut down the
    quoted text, its a lot slower at 2400.

--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/09/91)

brian@telebit.com (Brian Lloyd) writes:

>larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>>but try using PEP for a SLIP connection - it is the pits -

>Actually, PEP works pretty well with SLIP or PPP that supports Van
>Jacobson IP/TCP header compression.  The header compression keeps the
>length of interactive packets (TELNET, rlogin) below the threshold
>where PEP switches to large packets.  This makes interactive activity
>quite palatable.  This has turned out to be a boon to people using the
>NetBlazer and a PEP modem (TB+, T1000, or T2500) for ad-hoc
>international IP connections.

we've tried it with traditional slip - and talk about slow --

throughput was about 10% slower than with a 2400 baud modem!

v.32bis really brought the throughput up
--

tony@jassys.UUCP (Tony Holden) (05/09/91)

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:
> In a letter to All, Tony Holden (tony@jassys.UUCP ) wrote:
>  >1050cps!!  ACK!  I'm only getting ~870.
>
>   Please remember that V.32 with MNP class 4 or LAP-M (V.42) enabled is *not*
> operating on a fundamental speed of 9600 bps but rather, thanks to the
> stripping of start & stop bits by the protocols, approaching an effective
> speed of (9600/8=)1200 CPS (minus some protocol overhead, natch).

I'm setup right now as a straight v.32 modem.  No mnp or lap modes
enabled (at least that's what the manual sez).

Are you saying that by enabling mnp4 (not 5) will jump things up to
~1200cps?  Damm, were did I put that manual ;-)

For those others that have replied.  At this moment I have tried 2
different v.32 modems, Intel and Practical Perf's 9600.  Both are
getting the same rates.  I only have 2 sites that can talk v.32.  My
main feed, which has a TB2500, and work.  My work machine is a RS/6000.
UUCP on the 6000 is broke and I can only get 580cps out of it.

--
Tony Holden					live on the edge,
tony@jassys					  Bank in Texas

mje@mje99.UUCP (Mark J Elkins) (05/09/91)

In article <5@jassys.UUCP> tony@jassys.UUCP (Tony Holden) writes:
>larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>
>> I don't know what you get with the T1000 doing uucp, but we are getting
>> around 1050 cps doing uucp for v.32
>

>1050cps!!  ACK!  I'm only getting ~870.  Come on, how are you getting
>rates that are that high?  Before v.32 I was getting 218cps on a 2400b
>modem.  By increasing the baud rate by 4 I get 872cps.

870cps (between 850 & 900) is what you get using v32 on a clean line with
nothing else (eg V42bis or MNP5). If you are transmitting compressed data
files then you are really passing through about twice this data rate.

If you switch on MNP5 and transmit uncompress data then you get to
throughputs of about 1100cps in the real (noise) world.

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Olivetti Systems & Networks, Unix Support - Africa
 /| /|       / /__       UUCP: {uunet,olgb1,olnl1}!olsa99!mje (Mark Elkins)

In article <1991May8.185155.2818@qualcomm.com> rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) writes:
>   * Quickscan.. I can usually tell immediately after a message starts appearing
>     whether or not I'm interested.  On 2400 I have to wait a lot longer to
>     junk it.

Use "vnews" or another reader that allows hotkeys.

>   * Continuity - I can scan a static screen a lot faster than I can one which
>     is moving.

Then use "vnews", or set your terminal to smooth scroll. I find the opposite
to be true (so Emacs drives me up the wall with its page flipping).

>   * Headers - there's about 8+ lines of header information up there that for
>     most messages I don't really care about, but which takes up quite a bit of
>     time at 2400 bps.

Software problem. Use a newsreader that hides that stuff.

>   * .signatures... some scum (usually on the debate bases) have 12-14, even
>     full screen sigs!

See above. User interface problem.

>   * Editing...  if you want to use vi to edit your replies and cut down the
>     quoted text, its a lot slower at 2400.

Let me let you in on a secret: when VI was designed at Berkeley the *fast*
terminals were running at 1200 and 2400 baud. Most terminals were 110 or
300 baud. VI is *designed* for slow terminals, and is quite usable on them
if you set it up right.
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (05/11/91)

In a letter to All, Tony Holden (tony@jassys.UUCP ) wrote:

 >I'm setup right now as a straight v.32 modem.  No mnp or lap
 >modes enabled (at least that's what the manual sez).

 >Are you saying that by enabling mnp4 (not 5) will jump
 >things up to ~1200cps?  Damm, were did I put that manual ;-)

   They *can* do, depending on a lot of things (including the protocol used,
the buffering settings of the modems & computers, etc.)

   I'm not sure why someone would disable error correction.  There may be good
reasons, but I'm inclined to say that a modem which is programmed to correct
errors should be permitted to do so.  I don't want noise on my line and, if
the choice is between letting the modem do it and adding the job to the host
computer, I'm willing to leave it to the modem.

   If that's not convincing, the fact that error correcting protocols (LAP-M
and MNP if it's operating on a class 3 base protocol) will strip start & stop
bits and boost performance that way.

--
Geoffrey Welsh - Operator, Izot's Swamp BBS (FidoNet 1:221/171)
root@zswamp.uucp or ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root
602-66 Mooregate Crescent, Kitchener, ON, N2M 5E6 Canada (519)741-9553
"He who claims to know everything can't possibly know much" -me

rockwell@socrates.umd.edu (Raul Rockwell) (05/13/91)

Geoffrey Welsh:
      I'm not sure why someone would disable error correction.  There
   may be good reasons, but I'm inclined to say that a modem which is
   programmed to correct errors should be permitted to do so.  I don't
   want noise on my line and, if the choice is between letting the
   modem do it and adding the job to the host computer, I'm willing to
   leave it to the modem.

Well, I know why.

There are modem setups out there that will spoof an error correcting
modem (by connecting in a way that makes it appear error correction is
enabled, and then hanging the connection because the protocol is not
really being supported).

If you want to talk to one of those you have to disable error
correction.

Raul Rockwell

In article <42.282CCC07@zswamp.uucp> root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:
> I'm not sure why someone would disable error correction.  There may be good
> reasons, but I'm inclined to say that a modem which is programmed to correct
> errors should be permitted to do so.

Well, I've had some problems with modems with MNP enabled, to the point where
I generally don't turn it on. I've been typing away, for example, and all of
a sudden the modem (an Everex) would lock up and quit talking. The TR light
would be slowly blinking, and the only way out of this condition was to hang
up and try again.

Only happened with MNP enabled, and on more than one modem at the other end.
Always to the same exchange, though, so I suspect it was something there
causing the problem.
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"

wtm@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) (05/14/91)

Here is another reason to disable modem-based error correction.
I've had instances where MNP4 modems were besieged by a telco trunk
line that had a framing error due to clock sync-slip.  While there
was no audible glitch on the line, it caused a regular phalanx of
"~r" to march across the screen at approximately 1 second
intervals at 1200 baud.  Unfortunately, the distant site was
equipped with a 1200 baud modem, so I had little choice in the
matter.  Apparently their end was unable for some unknown reason to
be able to accept smaller than the default MNP packet size (though
I tried on my end to use short packets).  The result was that
virtually every packet was guaranteed of receiving a noise hit, and
thus the modems locked up with the very first packet being
transmitted over and over again ad nausium.  In this case, the uucp
g protocol could have gotten that data through (and did).

It seemed that every time I dialed that particular site I got the
same horrible trunk connection from HELL.  I tried to talk to the
telco about the problem but was stonewalled.  It was just about
impossible to talk to an engineer.  When I finally did get someone
with some technical knowledge I (admittedly politely) told that if
the line were could enough to carry an aural connection then the
line was good enough; period, end of coversation.

Both of our sites eventaully got TB+ modems which cirumvented the
problem with the noisy trunk.  I was quite surprised that the
connection routinely carried 1350 cps or faster connections
_without_ compression enabled.  The reduction in connection time
allowed the cost of the modems to be recouperated in about three
months time.

Bill

--
Bill Mayhew      NEOUCOM Computer Services Department
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511