[comp.dcom.modems] Everex

lar@pc.usl.edu (Robert, Lane A.) (05/14/91)

In article <RU9BCJ6@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com
(Peter da Silva) writes:
   Well, I've had some problems with modems with MNP enabled, to the point where
   I generally don't turn it on. I've been typing away, for example, and all of
   a sudden the modem (an Everex) would lock up and quit talking. The TR light
   would be slowly blinking, and the only way out of this condition was to hang
   up and try again.

The same thing happens to my 2 1/2 year old Everex 2400 every now and
then, but in my case it's the MR light that blinks.  I can still get
its attention with +++, but the only command that will unwedge it is
ATZ, which also drops the connection.  Annoying.  This has happened
with and without MNP, so I suspect that you'll be seeing it again even
if you never enable MNP.  If anyone from Everex is out there and knows
what is going on here, the information would be very much appreciated.

Lane
lar@usl.edu

tnixon@hayes.uucp (05/15/91)

In article <LAR.91May14100256@pc.usl.edu>, lar@pc.usl.edu (Robert,
Lane A.) writes:

> The same thing happens to my 2 1/2 year old Everex 2400 every now and
> then, but in my case it's the MR light that blinks.  I can still get
> its attention with +++, but the only command that will unwedge it is
> ATZ, which also drops the connection.  Annoying.  This has happened
> with and without MNP, so I suspect that you'll be seeing it again even
> if you never enable MNP.  If anyone from Everex is out there and knows
> what is going on here, the information would be very much appreciated.

I can only tell you about Hayes modems, but it's possible that
Everex behaves the same way.  The symptom of the MR light blinking
while online and "locking up" the modem happens when the modem
THINKS it has seen a "Remote Digital Loopback Request" from the
other modem.  This request is a particular signal pattern, and it is
POSSIBLE for line noise to cause the modem to think it has seen this
signal.  The modem thus enters Remote Loopback state, which is
indicated by the light blinking.

Since 99.99% of users NEVER intentionally want to be in Remote
Loopback state, the best thing to do is to disable granting of
remote loopback requests.  This is accomplished by the &T5 command,
which can be written to non-volatile memory.  But the &F factory
default is &T4, so if you have programs that force an &F to the
modem, you'll need to include an &T5 in those initialization strings
to keep granting of remote loopback requests disabled.  AT&T5&W is
always one of the first things I do to a new modem out of the box!

	-- Toby

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

lar@usl.edu (Robert, Lane A.) responds:
> The same thing happens to my 2 1/2 year old Everex 2400 every now and
> then, but in my case it's the MR light that blinks.

You're right, it's the MR light. But it's not happened to me yet when I
didn't have MNP enabled. Could be a coincidence. In any case, I'm not
using that modem any longer.
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"

cg108dbd@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve -Social Hacker) (05/16/91)

Peter> lar@usl.edu (Robert, Lane A.) responds:
> The same thing happens to my 2 1/2 year old Everex 2400 every now and
> then, but in my case it's the MR light that blinks.

Peter> You're right, it's the MR light. But it's not happened to me yet when I
Peter> didn't have MNP enabled. Could be a coincidence. In any case, I'm not
Peter> using that modem any longer.
Peter> --
Peter> Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Peter> Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"

Well, if I remember correctly, when my HST uses MNP or better, a blink
of the MR light means that a retrain was requested.

(Someone else mentioned that it also blinks when the directions swap on
the HST, but I never read that.)

-Steve
--
}>> Steve Haehnichen <<{