[comp.dcom.modems] Any way to get rid of 'end of session gobbledy gook'?

flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu (05/15/91)

In article <3939.282a9a30@hayes.uucp>, tnixon@hayes.uucp writes:

> Well, it's not called "sanitary session shutdown" in V.32.  It's
> known as "GSTN Cleardown".  What the modem does is initiate a
> retrain request, but turn off all of the "rate bits" that indicate
> the speeds at which it is willing to operate.  This condition
> (unwilling to operate at any speed) is defined as requesting the
> call to be cleared.  Most modems WILL properly hang up if they
> RECEIVE such as cleardown sequence, but not all modems generate it
> (with DTR drop or ATH command).

Some years ago when I was using only 300 baud (ugh!) my ears could tell me
that the reason my sessions with AT&T Mail ended without the gobbledy-gook,
while sessions with my university mainframe ended with it, was simply this:
AT&T Mail sent a long BREAK signal, during which my modem disconnected
noiselessly, while the university simply dropped carrier, leaving my modem
trying to interpret meaningless blobs of line noise until it decided there
really wasn't any carrier left to demodulate.  Not a cleardown sequence in
the V.32 sense, but the same effect from my vantage point.

[Toby: same thing apply at 1200? at 2400? -- seems to, though my ears fail me.]

> Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
> Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404
> P.O. Box 105203                   | UUCP uunet!hayes!tnixon  AT&T    !tnixon
> Atlanta, Georgia  30348  USA      | Internet       hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net

Fred E.J. Linton  Wesleyan U. Math. Dept.  649 Sci. Tower  Middletown, CT 06457
E-mail:  <FLINTON@eagle.Wesleyan.EDU>  or  <fejlinton@{att|mci}mail.com>
Tel.:         + 1 203 776 2210 (home)  or  + 1 203 347 9411 x2249 (work)

tnixon@hayes.uucp (05/16/91)

In article <1991May14.231556.42791@eagle.wesleyan.edu>,
flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:

> Some years ago when I was using only 300 baud (ugh!) my ears could tell me
> that the reason my sessions with AT&T Mail ended without the gobbledy-gook,
> while sessions with my university mainframe ended with it, was simply this:
> AT&T Mail sent a long BREAK signal, during which my modem disconnected
> noiselessly, while the university simply dropped carrier, leaving my modem
> trying to interpret meaningless blobs of line noise until it decided there
> really wasn't any carrier left to demodulate.  Not a cleardown sequence in
> the V.32 sense, but the same effect from my vantage point.
>
> [Toby: same thing apply at 1200? at 2400? -- seems to, though my ears fail me.]

Long-break disconnect is not required by any standard, although in
Hayes modems it can be enabled at any speed.  It only operates in
non-error-control async mode (&Q0).  If your modem receives a long
break (1.6 seconds or more), it goes on-hook.  If you drop DTR (&D2)
or issue an ATH0 command, the modem sends 4 seconds of break before
going on hook.  Many non-error-control V.32 modems use this
mechanism to try to eliminate garbage on disconnect -- but I still
think using error control is the best way to solve the problem!