[comp.dcom.modems] Question about a Codex Modem

joseph@panix.uucp (Joseph R. Skoler) (05/14/91)

I came across a Codex LSI 48/V.27 bis/ter modem and was wondering
if someone could tell me what its use is.

What speed is it?  Can it be used on regular telephone lines,
or does it need a special line?

Thanks,

Joseph R. Skoler

UUCP:      cmcl2!panix!kc2yu!joseph
UUCP:      panix!joseph
BITNET:    skohc@cunyvm.bitnet
INTERNET:  ak526@cleveland.freenet.edu
AMPR NET:  kc2yu@kc2yu.ampr.org  [44.68.32.56]
PBBS:      kc2yu@nn2z.nj.usa.na

In article <1991May14.033353.2407@panix.uucp> joseph@panix.uucp (Joseph R. Skoler) writes:
> I came across a Codex LSI 48/V.27 bis/ter modem and was wondering
> if someone could tell me what its use is.

It's a synchronous modem that is almost certainly only useful
as a pair on in conjunction with another compatibile modem.

They are normally only set up for leased lines, however various
option boards could provide for dial-up and sync/async conversion/
multiplexing.

tnixon@hayes.uucp (05/16/91)

(Joseph R. Skoler) writes:

> I came across a Codex LSI 48/V.27 bis/ter modem and was wondering
> if someone could tell me what its use is.
>
> What speed is it?  Can it be used on regular telephone lines,
> or does it need a special line?

V.27 in general defines a 4800 bps modem (sort of like Bell 208)
with a 2400bps fallback mode, and a 75bps secondary channel.
V.27bis is a four-wire leased line version, and V.27ter is a
two-wire dial-up half-duplex version.  You can use it on standard
phone lines, but it's probably not going to do you much good.  For
one thing, you'll need a compatible modem on the other end, and it's
probably synchronous-only.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404