[comp.dcom.modems] PC X.25 dialup

mccoy@cbnewse.att.com (earl.mccoy) (05/16/91)

I have followed the interesting discussion concerning V.32 and V.42 modems.
Does anyone have details about having a PC modem make an ordinary
(non-ISDN) telephone call to a public X.25 network access point and
then having an X.25 call setup procedure establish an X.25 session
to an X.25 host? The usual async call to an X.25 PAD does not interest
me. What PC software/hardware/modem is needed? Thanks in advance.
Earl McCoy.

tnixon@hayes.uucp (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.185048.14878@cbnewse.att.com>,
mccoy@cbnewse.att.com (earl.mccoy) writes:

> I have followed the interesting discussion concerning V.32 and V.42 modems.
> Does anyone have details about having a PC modem make an ordinary
> (non-ISDN) telephone call to a public X.25 network access point and
> then having an X.25 call setup procedure establish an X.25 session
> to an X.25 host? The usual async call to an X.25 PAD does not interest
> me. What PC software/hardware/modem is needed? Thanks in advance.

Well, there's a couple of different ways to do this.  You can either
buy a modem that has X.25 built in (like many of the Hayes V-series
modems, including Ultra 96).  You can either use standard async comm
software to do one session at a time, or use AutoStream-compatible
software to support up to four simultaneous remote sessions.  The
modem in this case includes a four-channel X.3/X.28/X.29 PAD
function.

A second option is to have a modem that supports synchronous
communications (all Hayes Smartmodems 2400bps and above, and many
from other manufacturers), and an SDLC/HDLC card in your PC.  Then,
you can use X.25 software.  Sorry, I don't have any good suggestions
for the software.

A third option is to have a modem that supports the Hayes AutoSync
feature (again, all Hayes Smartmodems 2400bps and above).  AutoSync
performs async-to-sync conversion inside the modem, allowing you to
communicate with remote synchronous devices through the async port
of your PC.  You avoid having to buy an SDLC/HDLC card for your PC,
but you need to find X.25 software that is AutoSync-compatible
(there is at least one such program; let me know if you're
interested, and I can find out about it for you).

A fourth option is an "X.25 card" for your PC.  These are available
from companies such as Eicon and Winterhalter, but are generally
pretty expensive.  They often come with hardware and/or software
features that allow the link to be shared with other PCs across some
kind of bus or a LAN.  Some have built-on modems, and others require
an external synchronous modem.

So, there are a lot of choices for connecting a PC to a PSPDN as a
packet-mode terminal -- which is best for you depends on your
application and the amount of money you have to spend.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404