From: news@psg.com (Randy Bush)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Re: Hayes Wins Damages on its Command Set Patent
Date: 14 May 91 15:01:00 GMT
Sender: Telecom@eecs.nwu.edu

> The patent upheld is on the method of notifying the DCE equipment that
> the next data arriving should be treated as a command to the DCE, as
> opposed to data to be transmitted to the far end; that is, switching
> to command mode.

You mean kinda like one tells an X.25 PAD (i.e. Telenet et al.) to drop to
command mode from data mode,

Seeing as the above and similar uses have been in use since the '70s,
how did our friends from Norcross manage to patent it?

Randy Bush  / news@psg.com  / ..!uunet!m2xenix!news

--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold

In article <1991May15.194658.17376@qualcomm.com> rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) writes:
> For those looking for prior work in the Hayes case, this comes from
> comp.dcom.telecom:
>
> > The patent upheld is on the method of notifying the DCE equipment that
> > the next data arriving should be treated as a command to the DCE, as
> > opposed to data to be transmitted to the far end; that is, switching
> > to command mode.
>
> You mean kinda like one tells an X.25 PAD (i.e. Telenet et al.) to drop to
> command mode from data mode,

> Seeing as the above and similar uses have been in use since the '70s,
> how did our friends from Norcross manage to patent it?

Well, if can be documented that it works exactly that way and predates
the Hayes implementation, it sure sounds like a good case for prior art
in using timing guardbands to enable/disable sensing of command mode
escapes.

It should blow Hayes out of the water, but who knows these days...

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (05/17/91)

>In article <1991May15.194658.17376@qualcomm.com> rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) writes:

     <hopefully I haven't mis-attributed this....>

>> For those looking for prior work in the Hayes case, this comes from
>> comp.dcom.telecom:
>>
>> > The patent upheld is on the method of notifying the DCE equipment that
>> > the next data arriving should be treated as a command to the DCE, as
>> > opposed to data to be transmitted to the far end; that is, switching
>> > to command mode.
>>
>> You mean kinda like one tells an X.25 PAD (i.e. Telenet et al.) to drop to
>> command mode from data mode,

>> Seeing as the above and similar uses have been in use since the '70s,
>> how did our friends from Norcross manage to patent it?

    The use of a character to do a "PAD recall using a
    character" does NOT define a requirement for a guard timer
    around the selected character...and quite a few PAD's will
    enter command mode upon detecting ^P (mandatory value) or
    another defined "optional" value in a continuous datastream.

    They might LEAVE command mode immediately if configured to
    do so....