[comp.dcom.modems] I need a pc based slip/ppp that can autodial

farber@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (David Farber) (05/16/91)

and besides autodialing and scripting a login can recognize
a line drop and autodial in again

sl@wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) (05/17/91)

In article <43220@netnews.upenn.edu> farber@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (David Farber) writes:
>and besides autodialing and scripting a login can recognize
>a line drop and autodial in again

Failing that get a modem that will autodial on DTR coming up. E.g. Telebit T2500 or
DSI 9624 LE+.

This has been working well for us for a couple of years. I have a script that tries
to ping the other side of the link every ten minutes. When it can't it reboot's the
KA9Q router (send it a UDP packet with appropriate message), which drops DTR, and
then when KA9Q comes back up it raises DTR and the modem redials.

A bit of Rube Goldberg but it works...

--
Stuart Lynne	Computer Signal Corporation, Canada
		...!van-bc!sl 604-937-7785 604-937-7718(fax) sl@wimsey.bc.ca