[comp.dcom.modems] Argh! What is SLIP and PPP ???

dsims@uceng.UC.EDU (david l sims) (05/16/91)

I've been reading this newsgroup for awhile and have seen many
references to something called "SLIP" and "PPP".  I know these things are
some sort of protocol, but would someone help me out and explain a bit
more about what they are and what they do?

Also, if they are some sort of standard, where can I get the document
that explains the standard?

Many thanks in advance.  From what I've been able to glean, I think I
will be very interested in SLIP.

Thanks...David Sims
dsims@uceng.uc.edu

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (05/16/91)

In article <8475@uceng.UC.EDU> dsims@uceng.UC.EDU (david l sims) writes:
   ...explain a bit more about what they are and what they do?

SLIP allows two machines to exchange IP datagrams over serial lines,
hence its name "Serial Line Internet Protocol."  It can be considered
a "first cut" at providing the basic capability, and even calls itself
a non-standard.  With the experience gained from a few years of use,
PPP addresses many of the weaknesses of SLIP and is the current
IETF-blessed Internet standard in its domain of application.

   Also, if [SLIP and PPP] are some sort of standard, where can I get
   the document that explains the standard?

SLIP is documented in RFC 1055, and PPP is documented in RFCs 1171 and
1172.  Many SLIP and PPP implementations also incorporate TCP header
compression, as described in RFC 1144.  Get them all from
nic.ddn.mil's rfc: area, or from any number of other repositories
nearer you.

   From what I've been able to glean, I think I will be very
   interested in SLIP.

If you haven't started using either of them yet, and you don't need to
talk to something that can *only* talk SLIP; then don't bother with
SLIP.  Start directly instead with PPP.  Read the DEFICIENCIES section
of RFC 1055 and the Introduction of RFC 1171 for a discussion of why.

jessea@homecare.COM (Jesse W. Asher) (05/18/91)

In article <BOB.91May15163559@volitans.MorningStar.Com>, bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) wrote the following:
>In article <8475@uceng.UC.EDU> dsims@uceng.UC.EDU (david l sims) writes:
>   From what I've been able to glean, I think I will be very
>   interested in SLIP.
>
>If you haven't started using either of them yet, and you don't need to
>talk to something that can *only* talk SLIP; then don't bother with
>SLIP.  Start directly instead with PPP.  Read the DEFICIENCIES section
>of RFC 1055 and the Introduction of RFC 1171 for a discussion of why.

Unfortunately, if you are running unix on a 386, you are going to have a
hard time finding PPP to run on it.  I've been looking for about a month
now and have talked to everyone from Telebit to my unix vendor and no
one seems to have PPP running on unix running on a 386.  So don't get
your hopes up about PPP - you may be forced to use SLIP as I am.

--
      Jesse W. Asher        NIC Handle:  JA268         Phone: (901)386-5061
                       Health Sphere of America Inc.