[comp.dcom.modems] Digicom Systems 9624LE+ modem experiences?

Peter J. Natali <MBAPN@ROHVM1.BITNET> (05/17/91)

  Does anyone have any experience with this particular modem?

  PC Week recently (April 29, 1991, page 83) reviewed four V.32bis modems
and chose the 9624LE+ as their 'winner'.  This modem supports V.32, V.32bis,
V.42, and V.42bis as well as MNP levels 2 through 5.  In addition it has
a built-in fax capability.  Retail price is $899.  I was quoted a price
of $699 from a distributor.

  (Note that Digicom also offers a model number 9624LE;  these models are
different; the 9624LE does not support V.32bis and is about $100 cheaper.)

  I'd appreciate any and all comments and experiences with this unit.

  Thanks in advance.  PJN

sl@wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) (05/18/91)

In article <91137.152442MBAPN@ROHVM1.BITNET> Peter J. Natali <MBAPN@ROHVM1.BITNET> writes:
>  Does anyone have any experience with this particular modem?
>
>  PC Week recently (April 29, 1991, page 83) reviewed four V.32bis modems
>and chose the 9624LE+ as their 'winner'.  This modem supports V.32, V.32bis,
>V.42, and V.42bis as well as MNP levels 2 through 5.  In addition it has
>a built-in fax capability.  Retail price is $899.  I was quoted a price
>of $699 from a distributor.
>
>  (Note that Digicom also offers a model number 9624LE;  these models are
>different; the 9624LE does not support V.32bis and is about $100 cheaper.)

I like my pair. They seem to work well. I'm using them to implement a PPP link in
V.32bis/V.42bis mode. Talk to the modem at 38400 with flow control enabled.

My impression (as an end user) is that Digicom sell's industrial strength modems, at
perhaps a slightly higher than commodity price. But worth the price if you're
running them 24hours a day, 7 days a week etc.

--
Stuart Lynne	Computer Signal Corporation, Canada
		...!van-bc!sl 604-937-7785 604-937-7718(fax) sl@wimsey.bc.ca

bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) (05/19/91)

In <91137.152442MBAPN@ROHVM1.BITNET> MBAPN@ROHVM1.BITNET (Peter J. Natali) writes:

>  Does anyone have any experience with this particular modem?

:>  PC Week recently (April 29, 1991, page 83) reviewed four V.32bis modems
:>and chose the 9624LE+ as their 'winner'.  This modem supports V.32, V.32bis,
:>V.42, and V.42bis as well as MNP levels 2 through 5.  In addition it has
:>a built-in fax capability.  Retail price is $899.  I was quoted a price
:>of $699 from a distributor.

:>  (Note that Digicom also offers a model number 9624LE;  these models are
:>different; the 9624LE does not support V.32bis and is about $100 cheaper.)

PC-Week may have gotten it right for a change :-)

I haven't used this particular Digicom modem, but have used
others that they build and have had very good experiences with
them.  I understand that their biggest customers are the Regional
Bell Operating Companies (phone companies split off from Ma Bell).

Digicom doesn't use the Rockwell chipset, but has their own
proprietary chips which seem to offer better performance.

Bill
--
INTERNET:  bill@Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way