[comp.dcom.modems] Modems for leased lines?

avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim Antonov) (05/19/91)

I need advice on dealing with leased lines. We've got a 2W line
(15 km of direct wire, 3K Ohm electrical resistance) and want to
run SLIP over this wire. I tried to use V.32 (T2500) but it simply
fails establishing connection. PEP works fine (about 1700 bps effective
rate with TCP) but have huge turnaround time - about 1sec (do not say
me about micro-packets and S120, I know :-) Moreover I think T2500s for
leased lines are a bit expensive. Thus I like to ask you for opinions
on leased line modems (both 2W and 4W).

Thanx in advance!

Vadim Antonov
DEMOS, Moscow, USSR

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/21/91)

avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim Antonov) writes:

>I need advice on dealing with leased lines. We've got a 2W line
>(15 km of direct wire, 3K Ohm electrical resistance) and want to
>run SLIP over this wire. I tried to use V.32 (T2500) but it simply
>fails establishing connection. PEP works fine (about 1700 bps effective
>rate with TCP) but have huge turnaround time - about 1sec (do not say
>me about micro-packets and S120, I know :-) Moreover I think T2500s for
>leased lines are a bit expensive. Thus I like to ask you for opinions
>on leased line modems (both 2W and 4W).

I would suggest v.32bis over leased line - and throughput will run
up there in the 1700-1900 cps range :)

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis