[comp.dcom.modems] Kermit, TELIX HELP !!!

dpavey@cccbbs.UUCP (doug pavey) (05/14/91)

I am in need of a termcap/terminfo definition to support WordPerfect 5.0
with KERMIT.  WordPerfect supplies a definition for their product, but
there is no information, that I have been able to locate to produce a
regular TERMCAP/TERMINFO definition for other applications.  I also run
over 400 MicroFocus COBOL applications (ported from TI-990 minicomputer)
that requires terminfo.

My company has computer sites in over 90 cities in over 35 states.  Our
office has to support these user sites over normal dial-up lines.  We
also only have 4 analysts to support these sites including performing
conversion from old computers to the new SCO UNIX machines.  During the
next year or two, all sites will have new computers and we will have to
remotely setup printers etc.  As our users are not skilled in computer
usage, most of them barely know how to turn on a printer.

I also am looking for a termcap definition for TELIX 3.15 that will
support VI in ansi-bbs mode (screen does not update properly).

Any help will be appreciated.

Douglas A. Pavey
Programmer/Analyst
Syncor International
dpavey@cccbbs.UUCP

Everyone Is Entitled To My Opinions.  My employer does not sanction any
postings that I make and is not responsible for their content.

rickr@flammulated.rice.edu (William Richard Russell) (05/14/91)

In article <i6Hw21w164w@cccbbs.UUCP> dpavey@cccbbs.UUCP (doug pavey) writes:
>I am in need of a termcap/terminfo definition to support WordPerfect 5.0
>with KERMIT.  WordPerfect supplies a definition for their product, but

The MS-KERMIT distribution from Columbia University (ftp to
watsun.cc.columbia.edu) has a file with several termcap entries
to specifically support KERMIT... I'm sure it's publicly available.

>I also am looking for a termcap definition for TELIX 3.15 that will
>support VI in ansi-bbs mode (screen does not update properly).
>Any help will be appreciated.

Can't help you here...

>Douglas A. Pavey
>Programmer/Analyst
>Syncor International
>dpavey@cccbbs.UUCP

Rick

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (05/16/91)

In a letter to All, doug pavey (dpavey@cccbbs.UUCP ) wrote:

 >I also am looking for a termcap definition for TELIX 3.15
 >that will
 >support VI in ansi-bbs mode (screen does not update
 >properly).

   I've had reasonable luck using Telix 3.15 and TERM=vt102 with AT&T Unix
SysV r3.1.1 and r3.2 on 3B2, SCO Xenix 2.3.2, SCO Unix 3.2 v1 & v2, SunOS 4.0,
and other systems... at least well enough to run vi.  It has even run EDT
under VAX VMS (sorry, version number eludes me at the moment).

 >Any help will be appreciated.

   The long term solution would be for me to port Per Lindberg's VT-100 test
suite to MS-DOS and give Colin a copy.  I've been promising to do so for
ages...

--
Geoffrey Welsh - Operator, Izot's Swamp BBS (FidoNet 1:221/171)
root@zswamp.uucp or ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root

dpavey@cccbbs.UUCP (doug pavey) (05/21/91)

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:

> In a letter to All, doug pavey (dpavey@cccbbs.UUCP ) wrote:
>
>  >I also am looking for a termcap definition for TELIX 3.15
>  >that will
>  >support VI in ansi-bbs mode (screen does not update
>  >properly).
>
>    I've had reasonable luck using Telix 3.15 and TERM=vt102 with AT&T Unix
> SysV r3.1.1 and r3.2 on 3B2, SCO Xenix 2.3.2, SCO Unix 3.2 v1 & v2, SunOS 4.0
> and other systems... at least well enough to run vi.  It has even run EDT
> under VAX VMS (sorry, version number eludes me at the moment).
>
>    The long term solution would be for me to port Per Lindberg's VT-100 test
> suite to MS-DOS and give Colin a copy.  I've been promising to do so for
> ages...

thanks, but I also need access to at least 10 function keys for my
emulation to function properly.  I can get ansi mode to come real close,
but when in ansi mode, VI will erase charaters when moving past them &
other characters at the end of lines etc.

I am using SCO UNIX and SCO XENIX (joined together in a TCP-IP network)
depending upon which machine I need to work on.  Both have the same
problems with TELIX.

I have been forced to use the James River ICE.TEN package when editing
which is a hassle, switching back and forth (ICE.TEN [or dejavu] does
not have and file transfer software built-in).

Douglas A. Pavey
Programmer/Analyst
Syncor International
+1 513/984-2839 9-5 EDT
dpavey@cccbbs.UUCP

This is not an official document of Syncor International.
This work is the sole responsibility of the author and has not been

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (05/23/91)

In article <14F024w164w@cccbbs.UUCP> dpavey@cccbbs.UUCP (doug pavey) writes:
-root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:
-
-> In a letter to All, doug pavey (dpavey@cccbbs.UUCP ) wrote:
->
[...]

ZCOMM provides both.  Accurate VT1xx emulation that passes VTTEST
screen operations with user mappable keys, and real ZMODEM.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF