[comp.dcom.modems] Latest HST ROMs?

cg108dbd@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve -Social Hacker) (05/21/91)

Please forgive me if this is a FAQ or is asked too often :) but I have
to know..

Do I have the newest USR HST ROMS?

I have been reading this group for a while now, hoping someone would
drop a version number, but I never saw one, so here goes:

It's a USR Courier HST 14.4K V.42bis (with round lights, if it matters)
ati7 says:

Configuration Profile...

Product type           External
Options                HST
Clock Freq             10.0Mhz
Eprom                  64k
Ram                    32k

Supervisor date        05/03/90
IOP date               09/20/89
DSP date               09/18/89

Supervisor rev         2.0
IOP rev                1.2
DSP rev                2

If anyone knows of any bugs in this version, I would really appreciate
a note.  I bought it second-hand, so my chances of getting a free USR
upgrade ROM is probably pretty slim, but if there are serious bugs in
it (or lacking features), I might want to buy them.

Thanks!

-Steve
--
}>> Steve Haehnichen <<{
  shaehnichen@ucsd.edu      Disclaimer: UCSD and I do not share any opinions.

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (05/22/91)

In article <CG108DBD.91May21033215@icogsci1.icogsci1.ucsd.edu> cg108dbd@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve -Social Hacker) writes:

>Do I have the newest USR HST ROMS?
>
>It's a USR Courier HST 14.4K V.42bis (with round lights, if it matters)
>ati7 says:
>
>Supervisor date        05/03/90

Sorry about the previous mistaken post (if it went out, I've cancelled it
locally) ... I didn't read your article carefully enough.

The 5/3/90 Supervisor has got to be the earliest of the V.42bis firmware.
It, and the three releases that followed, had LOTS of bugs. Replace it.
The most recent release I had (before selling my HST to buy the V.32bis
model) was dated 1/20/91.

If you legally own the modem, there should be no problem getting an upgrade.
Have the original owner call Tech Support to change their records if it's
in the computer under the original name.

--
 Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
 NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE:

sdkuo@argo.acs.oakland.edu (Steven D. Kuo) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.125932.921@panix.uucp>, schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) writes:
>If you legally own the modem, there should be no problem getting an upgrade.
>Have the original owner call Tech Support to change their records if it's
>in the computer under the original name.

What is defined as "legally" owning an HST?  I have an HST that I purchased
but never sent in the warranty/registration card.  Do I need to send it in
to be able to upgrade ROMs?

Steven D. Kuo
VMS:         sdkuo@argo.acs.oakland.edu
Ultrix:      sdkuo@vela.acs.oakland.edu

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (05/23/91)

In article <6531@vela.acs.oakland.edu> sdkuo@argo.acs.oakland.edu writes:

>What is defined as "legally" owning an HST?  I have an HST that I purchased
>but never sent in the warranty/registration card.  Do I need to send it in
>to be able to upgrade ROMs?

I can't authoritatively answer about the legal point. But I can tell you
what I have observed about the way USR handles this.

For one thing, the warranty card appears to have no value. Sending it in
accomplishes nothing, and keeping it in your manual deprives you of
nothing. USR has fixed things on friend's modems that were long past
the warranty period.

It appears that the only way a serial number and an owner's name are
connected together is by one of the following:

	1. You order the modem DIRECT from USR (i.e. sysop deal)
	2. On your FIRST call to Tech Support, your serial#, name and
           address are entered into their computer.

To return to the original question, if you bought an HST used, you have
nothing to fear. Call Tech Support. If they read someone elses name back
at you (assuming this is the name of the person you bought it from!)
tell them that it has been sold to you.

If they read back the name of a THIRD PARTY ... I'm not gonna touch that
one!

--

cg108dbd@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve -Social Hacker) (05/23/91)

--=}>> On 22 May 91 12:59:32 GMT, schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) said:

In article <1991May22.125932.921@panix.uucp> schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) writes:

MS> In article <CG108DBD.91May21033215@icogsci1.icogsci1.ucsd.edu> cg108dbd@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve -Social Hacker) writes:
>
>Do I have the newest USR HST ROMS?
>
>It's a USR Courier HST 14.4K V.42bis (with round lights, if it matters)
>ati7 says:
>
>Supervisor date        05/03/90

MS> Sorry about the previous mistaken post (if it went out, I've cancelled it
MS> locally) ... I didn't read your article carefully enough.

MS> The 5/3/90 Supervisor has got to be the earliest of the V.42bis firmware.
MS> It, and the three releases that followed, had LOTS of bugs. Replace it.
MS> The most recent release I had (before selling my HST to buy the V.32bis
MS> model) was dated 1/20/91.

MS> If you legally own the modem, there should be no problem getting an upgrade.
MS> Have the original owner call Tech Support to change their records if it's
MS> in the computer under the original name.

MS> --
MS> Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
MS> NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE:
MS> The Portal (R) System:  schuster@cup.portal.com    |           MSCHUSTER

Well, I called USR and here is the scoop:
I HAD the warranty reg. card.  _I_ broke the original shrink-wrap on the
box.  I was the first to plug the thing in.  The original owner never used or
registered the modem.

I am NOT entitled to the warranty because
1)  I have no proof-of-purchase
2)  I did not buy it from an "authorized" USR distributor.
3)  The warranty is non-transferable (i.e., if he had registered it, then I
    would be entitled to NO warranty, and a call to Tech Support would do
    nothing to change their records.)

Well, the person I bought it from was a private individual who no longer has
the purchase receipt.  He bought it to start a BBS that never panned out, but
regardless of the case, I was the first user of the modem, and it was a
legitimate purchase.

The USR rep recommended that I send in the warranty reg card with no
proof-of-purchase and see what happens, but he made no promises and kept
stating that the warranty was "non-transferable", as if it had already been
issued to someone else.

I would imagine that if my modem required service, I would be S.O.L. because I
can not prove the purchase date with a receipt.  This is really not my concern
at the moment.  I am good to my hardware and have a lot of faith in such
things, but I WANT new ROMs.

I sent the card in, entering the individuals name as my "place of purchase"
and I will see what happens.

If they deny my a warranty, I may become yet another USR owner with "pirated"
ROMs, and not have any moral qualms with it.

(If anyone feels that I do not "legally" own the modem, I would enjoy a
discussion either by E-mail or News... :-)

If there is interest, I can post the final outcome to the net.

Thanks for your help.

-Steve

(I'm very happy with the modem, BTW.  Still knocks my socks off.)