[comp.dcom.modems] Sysop Deals on High-Speed Modems

CHARLIE@UMVMA.BITNET (Charlie Turner) (05/23/91)

On Wed, 22 May 91 13:15:17 MDT <INFO-MODEMS-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.M

>Date: 22 May 91 16:19:17 GMT
>From: sun-barr!newstop!central!csccat!ncmicro!ltf@lll-winken.llnl.gov  Lance
>(
>  Franklin)
>Subject: Sysop Deals on High-Speed Modems?
>
>I was just wondering:
>
>    It is my understanding that several Modem manufacturing companies
>have special deals for sysops of BBS systems. <... text deleted ...>

This is becomming quite a FAQ this summer. The sysop deals seem to
be having the manufacturer's desired effect, ie. generating interest
in (and free advertising for) their new products.

The manufacturers I know of who offer BBS sysop special prices are US
Robotics, Hayes, Intel, and Practical Peripherals. No doubt there are
others too. My interest was in V.32 modems all all these companies
make those.  In general the special price is around half off list. You
have to sign an application form and agree not to resell the modem,
plus meet other qualifications, eg. actually be operating a BBS, etc.

I suspect all these companies have an 800 number that you could get
from 800 information (800-555-1212).