[comp.dcom.modems] reverse call with ultra smartmodem 9600

jay@rosevax.rosemount.com (Jay Warrior) (05/21/91)

I am using an ultra smartmodem 9600 with a callback system. When the callback
rings me back I need to gpick up the phone, key in an id code and then
establish the call in originate mode. I cant get the smartmodem to do
this. I tried various combinations, including the "r" modifier. Any clues,
hints about what to do. My old modem had a physical answer/originate switch on
the front panel... what is the equivalent ?
--jay

tnixon@hayes.uucp (05/23/91)

In article <10157@rosevax.Rosemount.COM>, jay@rosevax.rosemount.com
(Jay Warrior) writes:

> I am using an ultra smartmodem 9600 with a callback system. When the callback
> rings me back I need to gpick up the phone, key in an id code and then
> establish the call in originate mode. I cant get the smartmodem to do
> this. I tried various combinations, including the "r" modifier. Any clues,
> hints about what to do. My old modem had a physical answer/originate switch on
> the front panel... what is the equivalent ?

Can I assume that by "key in an ID code", you mean you have to send
DTMF tones (touch tones)?

It sounds to me like you want to use the DIAL command, with dial
tone detection disabled (X1).  This way, you would go off-hook, send
a series of DTMF tones, and then be prepared to connect in originate
mode.  Let's say that you're supposed to send the DTMF security code
"1234", then be ready to connect.  All you need to do is issue the
command string:

	AT X1 DT 1234

where "X1" turns off dial tone detection.

I know, it seems too simple.  Perhaps there's another catch you
haven't mentioned?

	-- Toby

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404