[comp.dcom.modems] T2500 disconnect "problem"

brian@telebit.com (Brian Lloyd) (05/19/91)

I promised that I would look into the problem of connections going
down between a T2500 and other vendors' modems.  The folks in
Telebit's technical support and engineering groups are still looking
into the alleged problem.  The evidence that they have is rather skimpy
but they say that the reports that they have only involve connections
to a very few modems when MNP4 is the error correction scheme.  They
are still trying to reliably reproduce the problem.

They did say that there have been no reports of problems where V.42
(LAPM) is being used for error correction and to use V.42 instead of
MNP4 if there is any question.

Lastly, they have asked me to ask any of you who have experienced
problems with link failure involving a T2500 to contact Telebit
directly so that they can collect more info about the potential
problem.  Please either write to modems@telebit.com or call
1-800-TELEBIT.

OK, I know that some of you are saying things like, "what the heck is
he talking about, alleged problem.  I saw the problem and I know it is
real."  Telebit is not trying to put anybody off.  We are honestly
trying to collect information that will lead to a bug and a bug fix IF
a bug exists.  So, if you have experienced the problem PLEASE post
mail or pick up the phone and call Telebit.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN                              Telebit Corporation
Network Systems Architect                        1315 Chesapeake Terrace

jbr@key.COM (Jeff Rubin) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May18.171441.865@telebit.com> brian@telebit.com (Brian Lloyd) writes:
>I promised that I would look into the problem of connections going
>down between a T2500 and other vendors' modems.  The folks in
>Telebit's technical support and engineering groups are still looking
>into the alleged problem.  The evidence that they have is rather skimpy
>but they say that the reports that they have only involve connections
>to a very few modems when MNP4 is the error correction scheme.  They
>are still trying to reliably reproduce the problem.
>
>They did say that there have been no reports of problems where V.42
>(LAPM) is being used for error correction and to use V.42 instead of
>MNP4 if there is any question.

Brian,

I am the original poster of the article about T2500 disconnects.  I clearly
mentioned in the article that the disconnects certainly happen in V.42 LAP-M
mode (as well as in MNP4 and with no error control also).  I also spoke
with technical support and Randy there is well aware that this problem
happens in V.42 LAP-M.  He watched his T2500 hang up on me during a zmodem
file transfer using V.42 LAP-M.  He said he would send me a beta version of
the T2500 firmware which we tried out, but I have still not received it.

I have tried mailing a report of my conversations with technical support
to you, but mail to the address in your signature bounces.  I have also
left you voice mail (last week) but I haven't heard back from you yet.

I'm willing to help out in reproducing the problem or trying a fix.  Please
email me at jbr@key.com and let me know what I can do to help.

-- Jeff

brian@telebit.com (Brian Lloyd) (05/24/91)

Many of you have sent me mail with "me too" problems and/or more
information.  I want you all to know that I have responded to each and
every message BUT a number of them have bounced.

If you send me mail and you want a response, PLEASE send me a good
mail address.  Thanks.