[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit vs. Intel

adamr@pain.UUCP (Adam Ravid) (05/23/91)

After a month of suffering, not sure of which modem to buy, I finally had
a showdown...  I had two deals, and the last remaining factors were v32bis
and the price!  The two modems were Telebit T1600 and Intel 9600ex.  The
Telebit had a few added features:  security, built-in protocols, louder
carrier for attempting to prevent fallback in v42bis, and about $75 bucks
more expensive.  The Intel had a 5 year warranty three more than the
Telebit, and has been reported to 'talk' with Telebits T2500 just fine.
The cost-effective choice was the Intel.

Here's why.
   The transfer rates of the two modems were very close (from statistics
taken by fellow netters - the Telebits might have been faster when talking
among themselves, but not by much --- [not counting PEP]).
   This and the use of Telebit's built-in protocols (xmodem,ymodem,kermit,
uucp) will cost very little in time --- estimated at maybe one minute/day.
   Since I call a local site, I reasoned that an extra half-hour a month,
(one minute longer a day) would not make any difference in cost for me...
(even more -- an hour/month, two hours...  - what's the difference, at 3am
in the morning, there isn't that much activity -- an extra five minutes
would be just as un-noticeable as the rest of the hour long connection.)
So if one modem is just a tiny bit faster, it makes very little difference.
   The Telebit's security I did not need.  The teasing feature: louder
carrier, I reasoned would probably be useful in a v32 connection, but when
v32bis is released, because of the growing back to the maximum speed after
a fallback due to line noise is added, the prevention of fallback will not
be as important.
   I'll hopefully receive my Intel in less then a week (UPS second day).
Can't wait for the v32bis upgrade...
   Good luck deciding which modem to buy....  I know I sure as heck was
frustrated for a whole month.

   BTW, here's my setup:  I'm on an IBM/AT 286 machine running a wannabe
unix and/or mail & newsreader:  waffle(v1.64).

BTW, I'm not with Intel, just a customer.

--
                       ism!wilbur!techsys!pain!adamr
              Public Access Information Network  (818/776-1447)

Mariusz@fbits.ttank.com (Mariusz Stanczak) (05/24/91)

Congratulations on reaching the decision.  What time frames, or projections
for the V32bis upgrades are known for the two (T1600, and 9600ex)?  At what
cost (in each case... if known to you)?

Thanks,

[still undecided]
-Mariusz
--
INET: Mariusz@fbits.ttank.com
UUCP: ..!uunet!longbow!ttank!fbits!Mariusz

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/25/91)

What timeframe is expected for v.32bis from Intel?

We get excellent throughput with v.32bis - UUCP at 1780 cps
on a regular basis (16 bit compressed news).

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis

chrisb@escargot.rain.com (Chris Bradley) (05/27/91)

In article <121@fbits.ttank.com> Mariusz@fbits.ttank.com (Mariusz Stanczak) writes:

>Congratulations on reaching the decision.  What time frames, or projections
>for the V32bis upgrades are known for the two (T1600, and 9600ex)?  At what
>cost (in each case... if known to you)?

The 9600EX projected upgrade to V.32bis is Q4 of this year. The cost will be
less than half the list price of a new 9600ex modem ($800). Intel is currently
looking into what on the modem needs to be changed to get V.32bis. A known
is that it needs a new Rockwell module and EEPROM upgrade. Intel is currently
testing the newly received Rockwell modules in an attempt to solidify what
needs to be changed.

You can also try logging into the Intel BBS (503) 645-6275 to get any of the
latest greatest news on the 9600EX.

-->Chris