[comp.dcom.modems] Interactive v42bis

anthes@geocub.UUCP (Franklin Anthes) (05/25/91)

Suppose I have a 2400 bits/s v.42bis connection:

How would this effect interactive use (reading news group using rn for
example), compared to strait 2400 bits/s?

Does v.42bis have any noticeable effect when typeing (due to packetization)
when run at 2400 bits/s?

--

	Frank Anthes-Harper :  Bien le bonjour de la France
	anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr

tnixon@hayes.uucp (05/28/91)

In article <3277@geocub.UUCP>, anthes@geocub.UUCP (Franklin Anthes)
writes:

> Suppose I have a 2400 bits/s v.42bis connection:
>
> How would this effect interactive use (reading news group using rn for
> example), compared to strait 2400 bits/s?

Your screens fill much faster.  If you're like me and skip over at
least half of what is sent to you, this greatly improves your
productivity.  V.42bis is extremely well-suited to interactive text
applications such as reading email and newsgroups.

> Does v.42bis have any noticeable effect when typeing (due to packetization)
> when run at 2400 bits/s?

If you mean "jerkiness", then, yes, you may notice some jerkiness in
the display, depending on how much faster than 2400bps you have set
the PC-modem interface speed.  You get used to it.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

jim@piggy.ucsb.edu (Jim Lick) (05/29/91)

tnixon@hayes.uucp writes:
>Your screens fill much faster.  If you're like me and skip over at
>least half of what is sent to you, this greatly improves your
>productivity.  V.42bis is extremely well-suited to interactive text
>applications such as reading email and newsgroups.

Off the subject, but if you do tend to skip a lot of articles, try
out the nn newsreader.  Instead of paging through all articles in a
newsgroup, you are first presented with the Sender's Name and Subject
Line in groups of 20 or so per screen.  Mark the ones you want, and
then you only read those.  I've saved a considerable amount of time
in newsgroups this way.  Especially groups like misc.forsale.computers
where I may be interested in only about 5 out of the 100+ daily
postings.  Nn is available at an archive site near you!

(Not to mention that subject searches are blazingly fast!)

                            Jim Lick
Work: University of California	| Home: 6657 El Colegio #24
      Santa Barbara		|       Isla Vista, CA 93117-4280
      Dept. of Mechanical Engr. |	(805) 968-0189 voice/msg
      2311 Engr II Building     |	(805) 968-1239 data
      (805) 893-4113            |	(805) 968-2734 fax
      jim@ferkel.ucsb.edu	|	Soon: jim@cave.sba.ca.us