[comp.dcom.modems] Question: What are the Specificiations for PEP?

newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Timothy Newsham) (05/26/91)

Someone please tell me the details of Telebit Trailblazer's PEP
communications protocol.

Does PEP utilize V.32 (9600bps) or V.32bis (14,400bps)?
If not, and PEP uses it's own protocal incompatible with CCITT's
V.32 or V.32bis (proposed) standard, what is the real data rate
of PEP? (Not it's "effective throughput").

And what kind of error correction and data compression does PEP
use?  Does it use MNP1-4 or V.42 data correction?  And does PEP
use MNP5 or V.42bis data compression?

I am aware that this modem is compatible with slower and lower
standards of modem communications, but I'm only interested in
the standard and protocals that are used during the Trailblazer's
optimum throughput...PEP...

Help me! :)

tech@mich-ns.Michigan.COM (Mich. Network Sys. TECH SUPPORT) (05/26/91)

"
"Does PEP utilize V.32 (9600bps) or V.32bis (14,400bps)?
"If not, and PEP uses it's own protocal incompatible with CCITT's
"V.32 or V.32bis (proposed) standard, what is the real data rate
"of PEP? (Not it's "effective throughput").
"

PEP is entirely different from V.32/V.32bis. PEP uses 511 different
frequencies as opposed to just two, like most other protocols. The
number of bits per baud depends on the quality of the phone line.

PEP modems have microprocessors which monitor the quality of the
phone line and can upshift (ie: use more bits per baud) if the phone
line quality gets better, or downshift if it gets worse.

This gives you two things: reliability and optimal use of the phone
line. All of this over PSTN lines. Reliability comes into play because
PEP modems can operate over very noisy phone lines  with conditions
that would cause other modems to drop the line.  Optimal use of the
phone line is acheived by the modems because they constantly monitor
the quality of the line at all 511 frequencies and can change (up or
down) the number of bits per baud at each frequency, based on the
quality of the line. This means that you get as much throughput as
the line can handle.

"And what kind of error correction and data compression does PEP
"use?  Does it use MNP1-4 or V.42 data correction?  And does PEP
"use MNP5 or V.42bis data compression?
"

PEP uses its own 16 bit CRC error correction. The T2500 and Trailblazer
Plus use a special form of Lempel-Ziv compression.

"I am aware that this modem is compatible with slower and lower
"standards of modem communications, but I'm only interested in
"the standard and protocals that are used during the Trailblazer's
"optimum throughput...PEP...
"
"Help me! :)

Hope I've been of some help.

--
Michigan Network Systems                         Technical Support Division
1-800-736-5984   BBS: +1 313 343 0800     E-MAIL: tech@mich-ns.Michigan.COM

newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Timothy Newsham) (05/28/91)

>Hope I've been of some help.

You're article was very helpful in answering all but one of my questions
regarding the PEP protocal.  (Thanks so much!)

>The number of bits per baud depands on the quality of the phone line.

Ok, so can you give me some numbers here so that I can compare it to
other high speed modems?  Like, under optimum phone line conditions,
what is the real data rate (before compression) of PEP?  And are
optimum conditions rare, and if so, what the average real (not eff-
ective) throughput of PEP?

Thanks again!

In article <13225@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> newsham@wiliki.UUCP (Timothy Newsham) writes:
> Ok, so can you give me some numbers here so that I can compare it to
> other high speed modems?

BITS/BAUD/CHANNEL varies from 2-6 for each channel in use. There are 7
bauds/second, and 512 channels. This leads to a maximum 21504 bits per
second without compression. Real throughput will be between 12000 and 18000
bits per second, with 14000 typical for a good phone line. PEP does not
compress, so that's the real data transfer rate.
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"