[comp.dcom.modems] MNP4 modem

goodwinm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Michael Goodwin) (05/21/91)

I have a Basic Time BT2400E modem with MNP4 connected to an Amiga 1000.  I heard
that this should have an ideal file transfer rate of 300 cps, but I have never
gotten over 240 cps with Ymodem-G, or 230 cps with Zmodem.  Does it need a
synchronous connection to get the faster rate, or am I doing something wrong.
I can't lock the communication rate faster than 2400 baud, because the modem
doesn't respond.  Any help is appreciated.  I can capture the settings, if
anyone knows the modem and can help, I can mail it.

| /\.--.--.                           /\ | goodwinm@prism.cs.orst.edu
| . )  )  )   o        /          _  / / | Real signatures are in cursive.
| ./  /  /   /   .--  /--.  .--. (/  \/  |
| /  /   \__/\__/\___/  (__(__(__/\__/\_ |

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (05/23/91)

In a letter to All, Michael Goodwin (goodwinm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU ) wrote:

 >I have a Basic Time BT2400E modem with MNP4 connected to an
 >Amiga 1000.  I heard
 >that this should have an ideal file transfer rate of 300
 >cps, but I have never
 >gotten over 240 cps with Ymodem-G, or 230 cps with Zmodem.
 >Does it need a
 >synchronous connection to get the faster rate, or am I doing
 >something wrong.
 >I can't lock the communication rate faster than 2400 baud,
 >because the modem
 >doesn't respond.  Any help is appreciated.  I can capture
 >the settings, if
 >anyone knows the modem and can help, I can mail it.

   There were some early 2400MNP modems (including, I believe, a model from
CTS DataComm) that didn't support RS-232 speeds higher than 2400 bps; on these
devices you will not be able to see the throughput benefits of MNP4.

   You will, however, have a noise-free consolation.

--
Geoffrey Welsh - Operator, Izot's Swamp BBS (FidoNet 1:221/171)
root@zswamp.uucp or ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root

phupp@warwick.ac.uk (S Millington) (05/29/91)

     I don't know about your particular modem, but I am using a SupraModem
2400MNP. Running with compression(MNP5) OFF, i.e. just MNP 4 I get rates of
about 270. My serial.device is the standard WB1.3.2 device, I've heard some
older versions are slower. My serial port is set at 8n1 4800 baud, with the
Supra speed buffering(asyncronous). I use a 16KB serial port buffer.

BTW - I use Zmodem, mainly because Y-modem is rarely implemented properly.
BTW2 - SORRY, I just realised this isn't an amiga group - therefore I feel it
only fair to mention the computer mentioned above is an AMIGA:-)

* Stuart Millington                 * "A Mind Is A Terrible Thing, Remember *
*  UUCP:...!mcsun!ukc!warwick!phupp * That." - David Bryan, Bon Jovi        *
*    ? :phupp%warwick.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk                              *