[comp.dcom.modems] GVC 9600 V.42 won't download from CIS

ljwilson@utkux1.utk.edu (L. Jack Wilson) (05/26/91)

I just purchased a GVC 9600 V.42 modem from CompuAdd ($429), and it
works great with Procomm Plus 1.1B except for one thing.  When logged
into Compuserve at 2400,e,7,1 (the only settings I can use in my area),
I can't download files.  I have tried xmodem, cis quick-b, and kermit,
all to no avail.  Xmodem receives the CRC signal from CIS, and tries to
send its OK message, but the two sides never get synchronized, and
eventually a "time out" message is received.  The same symptoms occur
for the other protocols.

I've tried dialing the university with the same settings, and both
kermit and zmodem work fine, regardless of the baud and parity
parameters.  Surprisingly enough, the MS Windows 3.0 terminal program
works fine, but setting PCPLUS as close as I can to the win-terminal
program doesn't help.

Surely there is a simple setting the new modem has that the old one
didn't (a Packard Bell 2400Plus [OEM'ed by GVC]).  The ONLY variable
that has changed is the modem.

Other than this annoying problem, I am very pleased with the GVC
modem.  I have been much too slow in getting a 9600 baud modem for
home.
--
Who:	L. Jack Wilson
What:	UTK OAC Microsupport

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May26.025559.15838@cs.utk.edu> ljwilson@utkux1.utk.edu (L. Jack Wilson) writes:
>I just purchased a GVC 9600 V.42 modem from CompuAdd ($429), and it
>works great with Procomm Plus 1.1B except for one thing.  When logged
>into Compuserve at 2400,e,7,1 (the only settings I can use in my area),
>I can't download files.  I have tried xmodem, cis quick-b, and kermit,
>all to no avail.  Xmodem receives the CRC signal from CIS, and tries to
>send its OK message, but the two sides never get synchronized, and
>eventually a "time out" message is received.  The same symptoms occur
>for the other protocols.

Try sing CIS B, Quick B, or B Plus protocols. =NOBODY= uses XMODEM in
this day and age on CompuServe.

--
 Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
 NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE:

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (05/28/91)

In a letter to All, L. Jack Wilson (ljwilson@utkux1.utk.edu ) wrote:

 >When logged into Compuserve at 2400,e,7,1 (the only settings
 >I can use in my area), I can't download files.  I have tried
 >xmodem, cis quick-b, and kermit, all to no avail.

   If you're being 'forced' to use 7E1 then it's a safe bet that something
somewhere won't pass 8-bit data, which means that XMODEM doesn't stand a
chance of working.  I don't know if Quick B is capable of handling 7 bit data
paths, but Kermit will *if* you tell both ends to make the adjustment.

 >I've tried dialing the university with the same settings,
 >and both kermit and zmodem work fine, regardless of the baud
 >and parity parameters.

   Perhaps the U's ZMODEM handles 7-bit connections, but it's more likely that
the ZMODEM drivers (and probably the kermit drivers) on both ends switch the
ports to 8N1 for the transfer and restore them immediately after.

   This, of course, isn't very useful if something along the path can't handle
8-bit words, and your CompuServe connection might have that problem.  Are you
calling a CI$ port direct, or through a network?

 >Surprisingly enough, the MS Windows 3.0 terminal program
 >works fine, but setting PCPLUS as close as I can to the
 >win-terminal program doesn't help.

   Works fine with CompuServe?!?

 >Surely there is a simple setting the new modem has that the
 >old one didn't (a Packard Bell 2400Plus [OEM'ed by GVC]).  The ONLY
 >variable that has changed is the modem.

   So the GVC 2400 worked fine under the same circumstances?

   Did you not have to dial a different port to get a V.32 modem?

   Jeez, I hope GVC didn't become real smart and make their modems
parity-aware...

--
Geoffrey Welsh - Operator, Izot's Swamp BBS (FidoNet 1:221/171)
root@zswamp.uucp or ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root

ljwilson@utkux1.utk.edu (L. Jack Wilson) (05/30/91)

Since I have received several messages about my GVC download problem,
and have seen several posted, I thought I'd better clear up a few things,
and relay some more info.

To ensure everybody is singing from the same songbook, I have repeated my
original message along with added emphasis to some points that
weren't clear, judging by the responses:

^I just purchased a GVC 9600 V.42 modem from CompuAdd ($429), and it
^works great with Procomm Plus 1.1B except for one thing.  When logged
^into B at 2400,e,7,1 (the only settings I can use in my area),
^I can't download files.  I have tried xmodem, cis quick-b, and kermit,
^                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^
^I've tried dialing the university with the same settings, and both
^kermit and zmodem work fine, regardless of the baud and parity
^parameters.  Surprisingly enough, the MS Windows 3.0 terminal program
^works fine, but setting PCPLUS as close as I can to the win-terminal
^program doesn't help.
^
^Surely there is a simple setting the new modem has that the old one
^didn't (a Packard Bell 2400Plus [OEM'ed by GVC]).  The ONLY variable
^                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^that has changed is the modem.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^Other than this annoying problem, I am very pleased with the GVC
^modem.  I have been much too slow in getting a 9600 baud modem for
^home.

Additional comments:

--With my old Packard Bell 2400 baud modem, I NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE USING
  ANY OF THE PROTOCOLS AVAILABLE ON COMPUSERVE, WITH 2400,E,7,1, PERIOD.

--I am calling a CIS port direct, with a local number.

--I used XMODEM in the original posting as an example because I got the
  best error messages from it when it bombed.  I normally use CIS Quick-B
  as my protocol of choice on CompuServe.

--Yes, the kermit option in win3's  terminal.exe  works!  But that is
  not my terminal program of choice!

--The university has different dial-up phone numbers (one is autobaud
  adjusting for 300/1200/2400, and the other number is capable of
  300/1200/9600).  Both work as they should the with 9600 baud modem.

--I have since tried some other programs, to try to track down the
  problem.  I found that TELIX 3.15 exhibits the same problem with
  CompuServe that PCPLUS 1.1B does, using any of the three mentioned
  protocols. MS-KERMIT 3.10 works fine with kermit on CompuServe.

--Another interesting fact I discovered when using Telix is that judging
  by the message returned by the modem, namely "CONNECT 2400 REL", the
  modem on CompuServe's end is using MNP-5.  However, when I disable the
  MNP-5 on my modem, and get the corresponding message from my modem
  "CONNECT 2400", indicating a data only connection, I still can't
  download, though everything else works as it should.

Thanks for the many responses.  I we ever discover the problem, (and it
is not posted), I will spread the word.